Do you count Calories on Keto?

Options
kjs1228
kjs1228 Posts: 1,473 Member
Curious if you to keep to a calorie goal under keto? I know most people measure fat, protein and carbs....but what about calories?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Many people do count and log calories. I decided that trying to count fats and oils while possible is difficult. I just manage my portions and keep carbs below 50g and it seems to workout for me. Down 18 pounds since July 10th without really trying. The way I see it I don't want to have to get out a food scale for the rest of my life so I better learn how to eat without one.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I track calories and my macros. It’s become a habit now to log what i eat here. I find it easier to control my weight and manage my health.

I am on 1500 calories per day, and provided i am +/-200 calories, I’m satisfied with it. My macros are 70/10/20, and it seems to be working...I’ll consider changing my ratios if/when i plateau.
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your goals are. I am trying to drop weight and if I don't keep track of my calories then it's not going to happen.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Same as Sophie. I have a remarkable ability to eat more calories than I need, especially if there are macadamia nuts within 50 feet of me... It seems I can maintain pretty well without calorie counting but if I'm trying to lose at all, I have count.
  • KeniBlume
    KeniBlume Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I count, however, before doing keto I would restrict to 1200 calories or less a day sometimes seeing results and sometimes not. When doing keto I can eat around 1500 calories a day and still lose
  • Future2082
    Future2082 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keniblume that’s awesome!
    I’m curious to see what happens with me.
    I’ll only lose at 1200 calories with straight calorie restriction as well. And sometimes if stall out even at that. Maybe my metabolism will get a boost too?!
    Now I’m much more satisfied eating Keto than just restricting and counting calories to not go too overboard and keep macros on point. I too can eat a bag of macadamia nuts, so now I’m not buying them lol.
  • tnf2499
    tnf2499 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wasn't counting at first (only counting carbs) but then I found out that I had eaten a surplus of calories on a few days and it stalled my weight loss. Now I am tracking calories, carbs, and macros. Once you get used to it then it really isn't hard to do. I also use it to plan my meals for the day which helps me make better choices.
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I count, but primarily to ensure I eat enough. I'm keto due to celiac disease and not necessarily trying to lose weight. I also due endurance athletics (triathlon) and often find myself not hungry but with a huge calorie deficit - which will bite me in the butt on a long training effort. So, I count calories to make sure I get enough. Going keto killed my appetite otherwise.
  • Katslimsdown
    Katslimsdown Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’m mostly trying to hit my macros but try to stay within my calorie range. Your macros will make up the calories. The most important thing is to stay under 20-25 net to be in ketosis. I’m doing intermittent fasting now and realize I sometimes can’t even eat how much I’m “supposed” to.