What fruit can I eat ? If any?

Options
fatsork
fatsork Posts: 82 Member
Hi looking for advice are there any type of fruit i can have on keto ? Really missing fruit , any advice please??

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A small serving of berries will fit with a moderate keto diet especially if you are doing intense exercise as part of your routine.
  • fatsork
    fatsork Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you , are any particular type of berry more low carb?
  • qweck3
    Options
    Blackberries/Raspberries are super low in net carbs. Coconut isn't bad either.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Strawberries as well
    Blueberries? Not so much (found that the hard way)
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    check out the diet doctor site they have an easy to follow guide but also it tends to be a bit personal as well, what suits one person doesn't sit so well for another.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere you can have grapefruit is that true?!
  • qweck3
    Options
    I'd stay away from grapefruit if I was in the initial keto stage. Once you get fat adapted add it back in with moderate amounts.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You can eat any fruit that fits your carb goal. A grapefruit is like 13g, an apples is like 25g. No single food has to be eliminated for keto, but portions may need to be adjusted to stay on goal...like having 1/4 of an apple in slices instead of the whole thing...or maybe having the whole grapefruit, but being conservative on carbs the rest of the meals in the day.

If you are not able to sustain your way of eating, you will not be successful.

Sustainability is the single biggest key to success, so make whatever adaptations you need to make this be something that fits your lifestyle and your needs.

This.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    You can eat any fruit that fits your carb goal. A grapefruit is like 13g, an apples is like 25g. No single food has to be eliminated for keto, but portions may need to be adjusted to stay on goal...like having 1/4 of an apple in slices instead of the whole thing...or maybe having the whole grapefruit, but being conservative on carbs the rest of the meals in the day.

Sustainability is the single biggest key to success, so make whatever adaptations you need to make this be something that fits your lifestyle and your needs.

While I agree to extent, I still think that the answer is very dependent on the person. For the average Keto Dieter with no medical issues to contend with, this may very well be true in an IIFYM kind of way. But for many people who are following a Keto Diet for the health benefits and/or for those looking to help/heal a medical condition like Insulin Resistance, Fatty Liver, Diabetes, etc., even 25g of carbs from an apple can do some serious harm to their already out of whack blood sugars.

I generally recommend to my clients who are following a Keto Diet for issues other than just weight loss to keep total carbs at less than 20g and to eliminate fruits completely while in the healing phase and to only reintroduce them at maintenance.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @WholeFoods4Lyfe when you refer to the healing phase, do you mean specific to recovery from illness _or_ the general move from glucose-burning to fat-burning?
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    I'd stay away from grapefruit if I was in the initial keto stage. Once you get fat adapted add it back in with moderate amounts.

I find this true with a lot of things. I don't care if I'm net5 or net50, they both create ketosis. And as long as it's not over-processed high-glycemic junk, it doesn't create a problem for me.

When I have these things, it's minimal and not every day. For example a half-banana for a couple days. A single rice cake one week. A couple of dried apricots. A 1/4C of beans. Things that are big no-no's to some keto'ers are "all things in moderation" to me...
  • ImpulsiveDaydreamer
    Options
    I like to freeze my berries, that way I can savour the flavour for longer. They also taste a bit like candy when frozen.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,832 Member
    Options
    I gree 100 percent with @PaulaKro, for me I still have these. But minimal, today, I had half an apple, that said I’m only on this to lose some weight. I’ve learned to use portion control for my weight loss.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options

While I agree to extent, I still think that the answer is very dependent on the person. For the average Keto Dieter with no medical issues to contend with, this may very well be true in an IIFYM kind of way. But for many people who are following a Keto Diet for the health benefits and/or for those looking to help/heal a medical condition like Insulin Resistance, Fatty Liver, Diabetes, etc., even 25g of carbs from an apple can do some serious harm to their already out of whack blood sugars.

I agree that it depends on the person, also for cravings. Some people’s cravings would be ignited if they ate high carb fruits. I myself am thinking about adding these back and doing a Paleo keto IIFYM (anything Paleo is allowed IIFYM) but I’m real sensitive to cravings so I’m not sure if it will work for me. Would love to garnish my salads with small bits of apple etc. I don’t know about eating 20 net carbs of an apple all in one sitting though.