Blood testing meters

Options
How many of you test your ketone levels with a blood meter? Is there one you recommend? For non-diabetics, do you also test your blood glucose?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://abbottstore.com/precision-xtra-blood-glucose-ketone-monitoring-system-1-pack-9881465.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllEU4ZUxM2sFi1xXd88px3qDvGNtHXqm5KvGCqk3GErVHHv1nNLiRfMaAj8lEALw_wcB

This is the one I got 4 years ago that I like other than it being a prick to use. :)

I logged both BG and Ketone data for months.

At the same time I was using the below cheap alcohol breath analyzer since these cheap ones do not filter out breath ketones. It is more of a yes/no indicator but four years later this is about the only testing that I do if I do any. https://ebay.com/itm/Alcoholmeters-White-Portable-Breathalyzer-Tester-Alcohol-Tester-Breath/292440441307?hash=item4416cf01db:g:SpkAAOSw0t1aetl1

If I keep my daily carbs down to about 50 grams a day I will get a .025 to .060% readout on this meter so it is a simple test to make sure my daily carb levels are at 50 grams or less.

No test of any kind is required to do keto. The urine strips are negative after one has been burning ketones for a while as your main fuel source vs. glucose. I just had my annual physical and urine ketone level came back negative but I have been more or less in a state of nutritional ketosis for 4 years now.

I have never done Keto for weight loss but did lose 50 pounds in about the first 9 months and have maintained that loss for over 3 years now I have been around 195 pounds +/- 5 pounds. I do keto for pain management and for prevention of heart disease, cancer, mental decline and the like since I am 67 years old.

• bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I purchased a breathalyzer. Didn't like the idea of a one-use strip costing $1.50 each.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    T2 Diabetic, I use the Bayer Contour Next meter. Got a kit for under $9 on Amazon, comes with lancet device and 10 strips, and the refill strips are cheaper than what I was using before--can get a vial of 50 of the Bayer test strips for $12-15 vs $50 with the Accu-chek brand I had.

I don't test my ketones. I can tell by breath and urine when I'm in ketosis. And for me, being in or out of ketosis has little factor on whether I lose weight or not. I'm low carb for life as it is my medicine, so as long as I can keep my insulin sensitivity up and my blood sugars down, I can lose weight.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Keto-Mojo meter, ketone strips are 99 cents each BG strips are less. Not diabetic, just a numbers nerd. I only test once or twice a week though.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am a T2 Diabetic. As a whole there are very few T2D that there Dr's will suggest they need to be testing their urine at all.

I now use a Livongo meter, and test strips for my BG testing. And under my insurance I do not have to pay anything.

I have been following LC since May 2018. I am hopeful to get off more medications when I see Dr's this week and get blood results from Labwork.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am a T2 Diabetic. As a whole there are very few T2D that there Dr's will suggest they need to be testing their urine at all.

I now use a Livongo meter, and test strips for my BG testing. And under my insurance I do not have to pay anything.

I have been following LC since May 2018. I am hopeful to get off more medications when I see Dr's this week and get blood results from Labwork.

Awesome. Please keep us updated.