It seems unfair that boring carbs...

Options
count as carbs. Lettuce, cabbage, kale, spinach all have carb counts. Nonetheless they are boring to eat unless mixed with something else. I think that they are so boring that you should get extra points just for eating them.

Carbs in berries and nuts should count

Replies

• GrannyGoes4it
    GrannyGoes4it Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ever had wilted spinach salad with bacon cheese and boiled eggs, with sweet sour sf dressing heat in microwave and pour over salad to wilt spinach. Or stir fried cabbage with real butter and salt and pepper. I also make sugar free Cole slaw. Little mayo, vinegar, stevia.1/4 cup grated cabbage pretty low in carbs. I count net carbs. not total çarbs.
  • kjs1228
    kjs1228 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Karen here. Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you. Quick question on how you are incorporating calories. Are you measuring calories at all? Or are you just measuring other things like fat and protein? I have the my fitness pal premium and have put in a custom measurement for my daily journaling just curious what others do. I’ve heard some mixed things on the whole calorie peace when you’re doing low-carb or keto.Thanks a lot!
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I track calories, fat, protein, and (net) carbs. I don't hit my goals for each one every day (though I'm good about sticking under my carb goal regularly), but by seeing all of them I can recognize trends and ensure I avoid pitfalls.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In his recent book Keto-terian, Dr. Will Cole proposes a primarily plant-based ketogenic diet. His premise is that most of us can get into ketosis while eating high fiber vegetables, including the "boring" ones. He focuses on net carbs.

Each of us is going to have a different carb-tolerance. I eat a lot of veggies and am able to stay in ketosis.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    kjs1228 wrote: »
    Karen here. Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you. Quick question on how you are incorporating calories. Are you measuring calories at all? Or are you just measuring other things like fat and protein? I have the my fitness pal premium and have put in a custom measurement for my daily journaling just curious what others do. I’ve heard some mixed things on the whole calorie peace when you’re doing low-carb or keto.Thanks a lot!

I count the calories too. I treat the carbs and the fat as a limit and stay under them. I treat the protein as a goal and try to exceed it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm on sabbatical from <50 carbs. For carbs I mostly eat just vegetables, berries, half/half, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Overall calories are king for me for weight management. I hover around the proper amount for me.

I really have nothing off limits right now. There's just a whole lot of fatty/salty/sweet or starchy things I rarely eat. I monitor calories, am mindful of non-vegetable carbs and let fat/protein fall where they fall.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kjs1228 wrote: »

@kjs1228 the replies can be all over the board but for the most part do it the way that works for you in the end. It is good to hear what others are doing especially early on.

I track my net resulting calories by weighing each morning. Four years in nutritional ketosis in my case has proven no need for me to track what I eat but for others that is not the case. While I went Keto for pain management Oct 2014 at the age of 63 I eat around 3000 calories daily but in the first year did lose 50 pounds and have not regained it back for three years now still eating around 3000 calories daily. I do eat in a way to increase the total health and total count of my mitochondria which is key to weight loss and disease prevention per my reading.

The full first year on keto was a time of learning in my case.

• Mseckley
    Mseckley Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat 30-40 carbs as long as 20-30 are vegetable... allow myself 10 net carbs that aren't veggies a day essentially, and haven't been kicked out of ketosis that way. Though, I once ate an entire French dip from arbys out of anger (yep, don't even ask) and stayed in ketosis, so my carb tolerance may just be higher. I'm also on metformin.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,684 Member
    Options
    @kjs1228 Hi Karen!!!!!

You can send people Friend Requests if you want to see their food tracking. You already have access to mine. :bigsmile: If you look, you'll see I have a hard time getting 1,000 calories some days - because I have so little hunger. So I track calories to make sure I've eaten enough, I also like to stay high-protein; and I don't worry about my carbs, simply because the way I eat just naturally ends up in the <net50 range.

Love seeing you on the boards.
    paula
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It seems so silly to eat a food we consider boring or do not enjoy. What a waste! It's not sustainable to make yourself eat things you aren't enjoying.

I love vegetables. I LOVE the sweetness of baby spinach, the crisp refreshing cucumber, bitter green peppers, broccoli, and leafy greens, they all taste different but I enjoy their actual flavor.

But I also love fatty meats. So I find keto is the perfect reason to eat what I like: Piles of green veg seasoned with just enough fatty meat to make them taste even better.

You don't have to eat what you don't like. Period. Find foods that fit in your WOE that you do enjoy, and eat them.