keto contract ... suggestions???

Options
FANCY1977
FANCY1977 Posts: 31 Member
I need some suggestions from my fellow ketoers. A friend and myself are having a really hard time (with summer and all) staying on track with our diets. We have now hit rock bottom and want to motivate each other. One way we thought of was through a contract between us. What would you suggest that we include in our contract to help us stay true to Keto and true to each other and on track to loose weight ??? Any suggestions ??

Replies

• PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Instead of a contract, what about creating weekly/monthly goals? Ex. lose 5 lbs, walk so many steps/miles, drink 64oz water/day.
  • FANCY1977
    FANCY1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    good idea .. maybe this is more of a motivator!! Thanks!
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Pay friend $1 for each net carb over goal daily. The buddy system is great for support, but I've found it's hard to keep it up long term without a consequence built in. You can work in caveats for special circumstances, holidays, etc, of course.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    FANCY1977 wrote: »
    We have now hit rock bottom and want to motivate each other. Any suggestions ??

Thanks for the reminder that I needed to go back to this topic for a reality check on myself. Maybe it will help you and your friend as well.

The Myth of Motivation

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    A friend & I use the fitbit challenges and the loser of the weekday or weekend challenge has to throw $2 in the pot. We use the funds for a joint spa day or something once we collect enough....

Personally, I would avoid using scale weight since it doesn't always capture how hard a person is working. It does need to be something tangible that you can see. Macros met for the day maybe (you can each personalize it to yourselves)? Also liked the water and step suggestions.

Its inspiring to see that pot of $$ grow!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a ulysses contract?

This is where you agree to do something you would never want to do. For example, you could agree to make a donation to the nazi political party if you don't do what you said you'd do. These have been found to be quite effective, but the consequence has to be severe enough to force compliance.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ulysses contract is certainly an idea if you aren't overly competitive or motivated! Oh boy!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I need some suggestions from my fellow ketoers. A friend and myself are having a really hard time (with summer and all) staying on track with our diets. We have now hit rock bottom and want to motivate each other. One way we thought of was through a contract between us. What would you suggest that we include in our contract to help us stay true to Keto and true to each other and on track to loose weight ??? Any suggestions ??

Hi Fancy- re staying on track - maybe a way to stick with it is to examine why you are having such a hard time being disciplined.

Is it because you are stress eating? No time to prep food? Snacking? Social drinking? (Insert whatever reason here.)

Who knows - there are different reasons why everyone doesn’t stick with it. I was chubby for a long time. Too long! Looking back - it was just easier to get a croissant instead of cooking an egg. I went for fast options.

Bottom line- what is holding you back?

No contract is going to make you stick to a diet if you haven’t decided to make it a priority.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    We have now hit rock bottom and want to motivate each other. Any suggestions ??

Thanks for the reminder that I needed to go back to this topic for a reality check on myself. Maybe it will help you and your friend as well.

The Myth of Motivation

Thank you for posting that!
  • sweetnana126
    sweetnana126 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find that i have the most trouble when I consume wine. It doesn't have to be much wine but when I drink I start making really poor food decisions. My only decision is "what do I want more, wine or weight loss" Occasionally wine wins.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Starting is the hard part for me. If I go off track for a while. It's hard to restart.

Make it easy on each other to restart maybe? Shop together or make lunches to share if you work with each other. Maybe have a prep day on the weekend.

And I find it easier not to focus on calories in the first week or so. Just getting my diet right is hard enough.

... I'm just not a fan of added outsize pressure for myself. I have a rebellious streak in me that wants to do it even less then. LOL
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have no choice but to stay keto for life because not doing so will make me very sick and probably lead to an earlier grave than I wish for (plus, it's automatic for me after 2+ years, and I enjoy it...never was much of a sweet tooth and after all this time, I don't miss even savory carbage).

I know this sounds like I'm being a dick, but maybe make the contract with yourself first, that you'll do this for your health (if you know you have already reaped health benefits besides weight loss).

I can't decide if I'm blessed with the fact because it means I have little excuse not to
    or if I'm just seeing it differently because life's short...we can either live it how we want (donuts and all) and enjoy it, or make the little changes now to enjoy it even longer, but to where we can sustain it.

You're either keto because you want to be, or you're not. Make it work for you so that it's easy to sustain, I guess.

/soapbox
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @FANCY1977 have you thought about just stop trying to lose weight and only track Carb calories for a while?

That is what I did starting Oct 2014 at the age of 63 with serious health issues and still am not dieting but eating the Keto WOE and all I want of it.

When I discovered the control I had given carbs I cold turkey cut out foods containing added sugar and or any form of any grain and cut my total carbs down to 50 grams daily. Yes it was a hellish two weeks then my cravings started to fade fast and the desire to binge eat just went away because now I get full and feel I will gag to eat another bite.

Eating about 3000 calories daily in less than a year I still lost 50 pounds (250 down to just under 200) without dieting and have maintained that lose for over 3 years now still eating about the same kinds and amounts of calories.

After 40 years of losing weight and then having a 100%+ regain I knew my old WOE was going to kill me sooner than later.

Because this worked for me does not mean it is right for you. I just knew what had not worked for the last 40 years and getting sicker each year so I had nothing really to lose by going Keto long term. I got lucky because I got pain manage in the first 30 days but it was a couple months before the weight loss kicked in while eating high calorie LCHF WOE.

Best of success at finding the path that takes you where you want to go.