Keto: Why Am I So Much Better At This Now?

Options
FlyingMolly
FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
I think it has something to do with fat adaptation, but when I try to read up on fat adaptation my eyes glaze over before I get to this bit if it’s actually there, so...if you’re more patient than I am, can you just fill me in?

I started doing keto in January. It’s awesome; I’m happy. I try to maximize my carbs within the keto framework, so I always track and occasionally test. I take a break for a couple of days every month or so, but I’ve only involuntarily gone out of ketosis once, when I was hovering near 10% net carbs and my husband cooked dinner and there was honey in the sauce and I tried to fat-bomb my way out of it but I woke up the next morning and I could feel I was out.

Then, in August, I had an ear of corn and a piece of birthday cake and a scoop of ice cream, prepared to go out of ketosis, and...didn’t. I tested that evening, in the middle of the night, in the morning, and the following afternoon, because I never felt like I was out of ketosis. Ketostix confirmed that impression. The next day I had a big piece of pie and another scoop of ice cream and stayed in.

I’ve experimented a little since then and it seems that I can eat the occasional dessert now, go WAY over my carb target, and be fine. I tend to walk a little extra around the time I eat the carbs because I want to, but I’m a fitness instructor—I’m too active for some walking to make THAT much of a difference. And a few months ago a teaspoon of sauce with honey in it kicked me out of ketosis; how the heck can I eat a full slice of birthday cake now and keep on trucking?

Also, when I do go out now—which takes a full day’s worth of overindulging on carbs—I tend to get back in in less than 12 hours. It used to take 3 days. Has something about my body changed? Do I need to be treating it differently somehow now, if it has? Are keto breaks still okay, or is there an argument to be made for just incorporating extra carbs while staying in ketosis, now that I can apparently do that?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    We are all different to a point. I eat this WOE for health marker improvements so as long as that is happening the day to day variations are just a part of life. Some claim to eat 100 grams of carbs daily and stay in ketosis and I can see that as being factual.

Keep up the great job.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I’m finding this, too. I’ll accidentally eat around 60 grams carbs and still be in ketosis (I use Keto Mojo blood meter) I’m feeling so good. I’m glad you’re feeling good, too!
  • Cryss_66
    Cryss_66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm envious of you all ... I'm under 20gr carbs, tested blood yesterday .4 and today .7 is it a gradual build up?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Has something about my body changed?
    Yes, your body grows more mitochondria for ketone consumption over time as you are in ketosis - it can take up to 6 month to grow a suitable level, so definitely since you have been on it this long you are fully equipped for ketone consumption at the cellular level.

Do I need to be treating it differently somehow now, if it has?
    So far as I know you don't need to change anything, a metabolically healthy human body can and will easily switch between glucose and ketone consumption for energy (usually both at the same time in varying percentages based on the availability of resources in circulation)

Are keto breaks still okay, or is there an argument to be made for just incorporating extra carbs while staying in ketosis, now that I can apparently do that?
    Whatever makes this process most sustainable for you is what you should do. You body will adapt to either scenario.