Cycling and Fueling for Rides?

Options
redhd_n_nc
redhd_n_nc Posts: 21 Member
Hello. I am looking for some input on how to fuel for mountain biking or even road riding. I am 2.5 weeks into Keto and need to figure out how to fuel for a good ride for fall riding :-) Thanks!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    All I know is that it’s a process to adapt to fat burning for endurance sports. Plenty of people donit and some of them still strategically use glucose as needed also but not all of them.
    You would definitely want to start training ASAP to adapt as much as possible by the fall which isn’t giving you a lot of time.
    I would look over podcasts by Human Performance Outliers. It’s Shawn Baker and Zack Bitter and they do a lot of talking about sports and endurance and interview people doing what you want to do.
    Once you learn some of the names of these athletes, search for them in other podcasts. Definitely search Zach Bitter as he is a long distance runner.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and it took awhile for me to feel like I can run without walking. I stopped running after a ankle injury and started back about the time I went LCHF so it may be a combination of the two. I have read that after runners get fat adapted they their performance improves over the carb loading energy method.
  • redhd_n_nc
    redhd_n_nc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am training now on the flat greenways so nothing too strenuous other than milage, I start bonking arounf 35. Looks like I will need to be patient :-)

Good idea Sunny_Bunny!

Thank you!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to up my salt for intense lifting...but that's more intensity then endurance, so not sure if the same applies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I run and just run fasted... but I'm fat adapted. This takes 8-12 weeks. I suggest reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Volek and Phinney.
  • Rjc5197
    Rjc5197 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry for just seeing this now.
    I am a early AM rider and most times do 20 to 30 mile rides fasted. When on Keto and adapted to using fat as fuel, I really did not notice any lack of energy for longer or short intense training. Keeping hydrated and carrying fat bombs helped in the longer rides. Experiment to see how your body reacts. Everyone is different.