Unsweetened chocolate in the uk

fatsork
fatsork Posts: 82 Member
Hi does anyone know where i can get unsweetened chocolate in the uk ? Found some recipes online?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I'm not in the UK but I would think it might be the same as the US. Grocery stores/Supermarkets here have it. How about something like Tesco, Morrison's Lidl, Aldi, Sainsbury's etc? Generally it would be either in the baking section with the sugars/flours/etc (bars or powders) or in the candy section as 100% chocolate bars (versus 56%, 73%, 78%, 85%, etc).

It will be interesting to me to hear a real answer from someone from the UK. Someone in the know. :) Our most popular bars for baking (where I'm located) are Baker's, Ghirardelli and Hershey 100% baking bars...unless someone want's to spend $$$$$.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    This is our go to chocolate when the craving hits. We buy it in Tesco.

372791011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=24233a19dc14b78c719b99feaf7ccbd2

Nutrition

Typical Values Typical Values Per 1/6 of a pack
    Energy 58kcal
    Fat 4.6g
    of which sat 2.9g
    Carbohydrate 2.5g
    of which sugars 0.4g
    of which polyols 1.2g
    Fibre 4.7g
    Protein 0.7g
    Salt <0.01g

• fatsork
    Hi yeah iv looked in the supermarket and i cant find anything that is unsweetened like in the US ... help UK people.
  • craignev
    Did you see the above (I think we posted at the same time)
  • fatsork
    craignev wrote: »
    Did you see the above (I think we posted at the same time)

No I didn’t sorry thank you so much for that, is it in the baking aisle iv never seen that before
  • craignev
    No, it's in the chocolate aisle with the other dark chocolate bars :)
  • fatsork
    Thank you
  • kpk54
    Curiosity question: Google refers to ChocoLogic as Milk Chocolate sweetened with erythritol thus "90% less sugar" as printed on the bar. Surely the UK has 100% cocoa powder or 100% cocoa bars that are not sweetenened.

Milk Chocolate and/or sweetened chocolate is very different from Unsweetened for both eating plain and for use in recipes. I'm not so sure the O.P. would want to use a milk chocolate sweetened with erythritol in a recipe that calls for Unsweetened chocolate.
  • fatsork
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Curiosity question: Google refers to ChocoLogic as Milk Chocolate sweetened with erythritol thus "90% less sugar" as printed on the bar. Surely the UK has 100% cocoa powder or 100% cocoa bars that are not sweetenened.

Milk Chocolate and/or sweetened chocolate is very different from Unsweetened for both eating plain and for use in recipes. I'm not so sure the O.P. would want to use a milk chocolate sweetened with erythritol in a recipe that calls for Unsweetened chocolate.

I thought erythritol does not spike insulin??? Please provide insight anyone in the uk Which unsweetened chocolate would be best for recipes on keto???
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    edited October 2018
    @fatsork, i am _guessing_ that @kpk54 was referring to the difference in use between the two, rather than the concern with insulin spikes. the erythritol will make the chocolate sweet; in a recipe that calls for unsweetened chocolate, there may be other sweeteners in place in the recipe. if you are sensitive to sweets, that could be a problem
    The other possible hiccup is that it may refer to needing powdered rather than bar form
  • kpk54
    Thank you, @zanyterp. You are correct. That is precisely what I was referring to.

Now I'll just bow out and let someone from the UK direct the OP to where she can find UNsweetened chocolate for a recipe.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    M&S do a 100% cocoa chocolate block (it’s really unpleasant to eat alone... and I LOVE 90%... not sure why the 10% makes so much difference)
  • fatsork
    Thank you all im a bit of a newbie at this so its been really helpful.
  • craignev
    Erythritol doesn't cause a spike in insulin. I used to use Xylitol until I watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw

• craignev
    I've tried both and the milk chocolate version definitely tastes better as long as you allow for the extra carbs.
  • fatsork
    I tried this one today , the worst one yet going to stick to the other ones
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Montezuma does a sugar-free dark chocolate bar here in the UK. Also, look at superfoodies cacoa nibs and cacao liquor (no alcohol, the name) that last has only 4.7 carbs (net) for 100g
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Maybe a little late, but there's 'Willie's Cacao Pure Gold 100%' . No sugar or sweetener in it. Just cocoa, cocoa butter and cocoa solids. Wouldn't advise eating it straight as with no sweetness it's extremely bitter. But that's what you are looking for in a recipe.
    You can get it at Sainsbury's, but it's also pricey. £2 for 40g.