Waves of nausea after eating meat

Options
This isn’t very fun when you’re doing Keto!

I often get waves of nausea after eating meat, in particular, if it is some thing like chicken breast or a plain piece of beef steak. The other day I got it from mince (ground beef). It doesn’t seem to happen with roast meat, and the only difference I can see there is the fat content.

It is like waves of car or sea sickness, and it happens pretty quickly after eating. My GP has no idea and just tells me not to eat meat any longer.

I’m wondering if I eat too much volume of meat at once? Has anyone else had this?

Google tells me food poisoning but it isn’t anything like that.

Replies

• DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This isn’t very fun when you’re doing Keto!

I’m wondering if I eat too much volume of meat at once? Has anyone else had this?

Google tells me food poisoning but it isn’t anything like that.

I will get sick if I try to eat too much food at a time. Sometimes I’ll think “Oh, there’s just one piece left. Might as well just finish it.” And then I’ll be in the bathroom 15 minutes later. My stomach is VERY firm about how much it wants in it. And fatty foods do tend to fill it up faster. Could it be something like that with you? Next time you have a fatty meat, try eating half, then waiting a bit before finishing it. My stomach is ok if I wait 20 minutes or so.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low sodium can cause nausea too. Are you getting at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day? (2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt.) Having a couple of cups of salty bone broth or boullion, take salt tablets, make salty keto-ade, or just eat 1/2 tsp of salt a couple of times a day with water. If low sodium is the issue, it should resolve it in a day or so.

If my body is not hungry, and I force meat, I feel pretty gross. If you are normally getting enough protein (like at least 60-80g) you could cut back a bit on the meat. Try plant proteins instead.

Do try the sodium thing first though. Nausea is one of the symptoms of low electrolytes, along with headaches, fatigue, brain fog, BM issues, and muscle weakness.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    salt is my go-to for headaches or nausea, but some have less fat tolerant digestion, so if eating the leaner meats works better for you, why fight it?
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing nausea with meat but found out it was only from grain-fed/finished meat. Eating grass fed/finished is no problem.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    grass fed would be a way lower fat content...the reason they feed meat animals grain at the end is to fatten them up for slaughter since most farmers get paid by the pound for their meat animals...it's the same reason they pump them with antibiotics...farmers have long known that antibiotics are a cheap way to make animals gain weight fast
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I only experienced that when I was pregnant. Any chance? :)
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Since you have talked to your GP, I would assume low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) was ruled out, so it could be a false low blood sugar (false hypo) reaction. It can happen if you dramatically change your carb level. Your body is pretty smart and it reacts very quickly to changes in what it perceives as "a normal meal".

Even if you are not diabetic, I recommend the Book "Blood Sugar 101" by Jenny Ruhl since it explains the chemistry behind how you body reacts to carbs in great detail with a lot of science there if you want it. The book talks a lot about false low blood sugars, and knowing that was what was happening enabled me to get past them without fear that I was doing something injurious to my health.

Below is link to a blog article by the same author.
    http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/type-2s-understanding-false-hypos.html
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Now after 4 years of full time KETO WOE I can get that feeling if I keep eating after I sense I am full but it is not just with meats.

This is why I can eat all that I want when I want it and still maintain. When living mainly on glucose I could eat until it was painful and still keep eating.

On Keto my body really lets me know what it wants and DOES NOT want to eat unlike the first 63 years of my life.