Living the Lifestyle Monday 10/09/18

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,954 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for October below:

Monday imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)

TodaysTopic: Change and more Change. Change seems to be inevitable but when you get right down to it with weight loss or maintaining question(s) comes to mind.

1. Do you think there's really anymore to losing weight than eat less calories than you burn. ?
2. To maintain current weight do you not have to eat less or eat smartly to maintain goal weight.?

Replies

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Short answer basically #1 no and #2 yes.

There are some odd complications in some folks.
    Dr James Levine did one study concerning some folks who increased their caloric intake by 1000 calories a day and didn't gain weight. Odd indeed but what he found using black skin tight underwear with sensors in them that these folks added tiny movements to their day not otherwise observable (think of squirmy children etc). What they call this is NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). Big words but basically a few "naturally skinny" folks automaticall add in a lot of tiny movements during the day to compensate. I am not one of those.

It doesn't really change the idea of calories in and calories out but shows how sometimes even subtle movement can help.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,213 Member
    Options
    1. You must eat fewer calories than you burn.
    2. While the principle remains that one must at least balance their calorie to burn ratio, individuals must become educated with regard to nutrition in order to properly maintain a healthy diet. Folks may not agree with me, arguing that following a prescribed formula will get them down the path without thinking. However, true long-term consistency comes with knowledge.
  • imastar2
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I realize that today's LTL is rather simple but really as I began to think more about this new WW redo and changes and one thought led to another thought and before I knew it I thought to myself that really is it anymore simpler than take in less than you burn? or take in less than you need for your own height and weight and age.

Many discussions on this board through the years about how to and time to eat and balance of food and the list goes on and on. The real test to loss however you slice it is you have to eat less than your body needs on a daily basis depending on your kcal needs.

As far as maintaining I'm not as familiar with that as I have always been in the loss mode but it does stand to reason that if your maintaining your current weight that pretty much you have to not overeat or stay within the zero basis as to caloric intake.

SW 400.8
    CW 349.0☹
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

51.8lbs Total Loss
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    1. When I hit 50, I really had to do more than watch the calories I took in. I also had to get more protein and less refined carbohydrates.

2. I've been maintaining since February 2012. I certainly can eat more than when I was in loss mode, but I still have to pay attention to my intake. I will say on the days that I do 200K (~124+ mile) bike rides, I really don't have to watch what I eat. However, if the weather is hot and humid I lose my appetite and then can have issues not getting enough calories in during the later stages of the ride. When the weather is really cold, I find it hard to eat while riding because the lobster-claw gloves I wear to keep my hands from freezing make me very clumsy!
  • EliteCoachKal
    EliteCoachKal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1. As far as the mechanics of it not really. I suppose there are tips/tricks/hacks or whatever you want to call them to make this process easier, but the bottom line is a person has to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    2. To maintain or gain (like in the case of someone trying to bulk) is just a variation on the theme (caloric equilibrium, caloric surplus). Of course no matter what I think most people will feel best and get the best results when their diet is designed to optimize nutrition and reduce inflammation.

The thing that will always stand out to me when it comes to any major change in life is that it must go hand in hand with serious neurological and psychological change in order to be lasting. Our bodies have an amazing capacity to heal but wherever the destination our minds must arrive first.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    1. Do you think there's really anymore to losing weight than eat less calories than you burn. ?

Yes. We have to be able to live with it.

2. To maintain current weight do you not have to eat less or eat smartly to maintain goal weight.?

I think of myself as a person who eats a lot. Which I think makes my life easier than thinking I have to live with a lot of restrictions. I think I eat smarter than I did.

The real answer is I eat fewer calories at 170 lbs than I did at 285lbs. My own perceptions of how I do it may or may not be accurate.
  • imastar2
    Options
    I read all the responses to this thread and everyone in my opinion made terrific points as the result are many more aspects to losing weight than less calories in. At the risk of opening up another discussion we'll leave it at that.

SW 400.8
    CW 345.6🙂
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

55.2lbs Total Loss
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

1. No...and yes. My experience is that weight loss results from eating less calories than I burn. While not entirely without exercise, my journey was minimal in that aspect. I know that I ate less and made healthier choices to lose the weight I lost and keep it off over the last three years. Now the flip side is, apart from the physics of weight loss is the mental challenge that goes along with it. I didn't get in the door at Weight Watchers (WW) by eating properly. I got in by overeating and drinking, particularly foods that added weight and made me fat.

In order to lose the weight (and now keep it off), the bigger challenge for me was looking at and adjusting my behavior around food and things that trigger me to eat. I like it eat all the stuff I used to eat. But with the intention of losing weight, I eat far less of it. I am more mindful of my choices, especially when feeling stressed, anxious, upset, etc.

While I believe there really isn't any more to losing weight than eating less calories than I burn, I realize that for me, the mental hurdle of changing my relationship with food (after decades of doing just the opposite) is an intertwined, challenging aspect closely related to weight management. The key for me has been getting the mental part in sync with the physics part.

2. Compared to what?? For maintaining my weight, I definitely have to eat less and healthier than I did 'back-in-the-day', before starting WW. Eating that way I did pre-WW is what got me into WW in the first place. However, I achieved WW's Lifetime status in 2015 and have maintained within five pounds of my goal weight since that time (having lost 80 pounds). I've maintained my weight over the last three years by tracking my intake. Over that timeframe, I've generally eaten about the same amount and nutrition quality of food. And, I guess if I want to continue to maintain, I'll have to make similar choices from here on out (though I rarely if ever think in those terms). So it is less and healthier than before I started WW, but not compared to the last few years.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    1. Yes. I don't think it's much of a secret what I think about this question. Nothing so simple has ever been so difficult. At a physiologic level, it's all about CICO. But if it were that easy, none of us would be here whining about (ok, pondering) the challenges of losing and/or maintaining our weight.

OTOH, I think there's been as much or more energy invested in convincing ourselves it really is more complicated. Whether that's driven by the diet industry or whether it has driven the diet industry would be a great discussion topic (answer: it's cyclical- they drive each other).

2. Yes. Really.