Weekly Post 08/10/2018 - 14/10/2018

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,988 Member
Good morning all!

Hope everybody had a great weekend. :smile:

Bet you guys had a great weekend, @mamainthekitchen with birthday and Thanksgiving fun. Hope everything went well!

Back at it today. Planning to eat clean all week and hit the gym each day. Aiming for a lower day (for me) which means around 1200.

Have a nice one and I'll check in again soon...

Replies

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Doing ok on my first fast day of the week. One day at a time!

It sounds like you are doing a modified version of 5:2 these days, @meghan509?

Heard this in church on Sunday:
    In the end, everything will be ok.
    If it is not ok, It is not the end.

:grin:
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Wow. Hey guys. I’m back after a forever break. I can’t remember my last post. Glad to see the weekly post is still going strong. I’m back to 5:2 again and today is a fast day. I was able to keep yesterday low as well due to a flat tire and waiting for hours for it to get fixed.

For those that don’t remember or know me...

I live in London with my six kids and hubby. I’ve struggled with my weight since I was young...my highest 230lbs (16.4st) I’m currently at 170lbs (12.1st), but my lowest was 163lbs (11.6st). Trying to get down another 25lbs (about 2st).

Glad to be back... ;)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi guys!

Yes, @jknight001 I am not really doing 5:2, I am doing 1200-1500 calories a day and exercising. CICO I guess you would say. Doing some intermittent fasting here and there where I will do an eating window from lunch time to dinner time. Also am making an effort to not go crazy on the weekends. A cheat meal was turning in to a cheat day and then a weekend. Not cool and I paid the price via the scale. :(
    I found that eating at this calorie range is just easier for me. I don't really feel like I am on a "diet". We will see. It all depends on how the scale reacts. You never know. I tend to change things up often. ;)

@snaps27 welcome back! Wow, you and I are similar in stats! How tall are you? I am 5 feet 4 inches. My highest back in 2012 was 240 lbs. My lowest in early May of this year was 164. I am currently sitting in the mid 170's. Will weigh in on Friday with an exact number. My original goal was 140 but honestly I don't know anymore. If I could get to 160 and then tone up with strength training, etc. I might just stay there.

I have to get back to work. Check in with you all soon. Have a great day!
  • snaps27
    Options
    Meghan509 I’m also 5 foot 4 inches. Wow. I’m with you 140 seems tough.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Welcome back @snaps27! Wish we could have a welcome back party! With lo-cal foods, of course. ;) I feel like I had been gone forever too. We can get back on track together.

@meghan509- They say the best WOE is the one you can stick to. So if you don't feel like you are on a diet it just might work for you. I am not as motivated right now to do 5:2 this time. :( I have loved it in the past so I hope to "fake it until I make it". :grin:
  • snaps27
    Options
    Posting from my daily walk. Aren’t smart phones fun :D sun is shining here in London. Did well yesterday just over the 500 fast day. But strictly 500 has always been tough for me. Still managed over 10,000 steps. Also managed not falling on my face posting while walking Hee Hee ;)
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    Posting from my daily walk. Aren’t smart phones fun :D sun is shining here in London. Did well yesterday just over the 500 fast day. But strictly 500 has always been tough for me. Still managed over 10,000 steps. Also managed not falling on my face posting while walking Hee Hee ;)

I often find that the 500 is a little low too. I am almost never below 10000 steps though so I cheat and eats 500-800 on my fasting days. I've just prelogged my food today, and will end up at around 800 ...because my son has been baking cake in kindergarten and expects me to have a piece. <3
    But that's ok..I have 1,5 hour of light exercise today and 1.5 hour or strenous exercise tomorrow so I'm not concerned about that
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Judging from last weeks posts, it appears a lot of old-timers have taken an absence and are returning. I’ll add myself to the mix. I successfully lost around 40 lbs doing 5:2 quite religiously. Some of you may recall I was also very busy with ballet. Well fast forward, over springtime, I put on about 12 lbs of grief weight after my mom finally passed away from a lengthy illness. Her passing was fast, the illness long. The combination of wine and careless food choices that accompany alcohol made gaining quite easy. Except now it’s not coming off as quickly. Her illness also zapped the joy of dancing for me as well. Getting called in the middle of class with some crisis did me in, so I decided to hang up my slippers. There were some other things too, but that was the final straw. Where am I now? I’m running again, some cycling, and weight lifting (thanks to @mamainthekitchen). I’ve haphazardly been IF, but need to do what worked before...2 days a week/500 cals. No matter what. I’m going to Hawaii in December and would LOVE to get back to my pre-grief weight. Hoping that visiting this forum, a commitment to 5:2 as intended, and accurate tracking get me there. Have a great day!!!!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all.

Welcome back to those who are rejoining! Nice to see you here. :)

@snaps27 We are definitely similar in stats. LOL Yes, agree that 140 is nice as it is a healthy BMI, but I don't think it is realistic given the way I lose (slooooowly) and the way I feel which happens to be fine. I think I can swing 160 but we will see.

@jknight001 thanks! I like that - the best diet is one you can stick to. My issues have been the weekends. Too much slacking off. We also got to the gym less this summer and that didn't help. Yes, we have a short summer season here on the east coast and I try to spend as much time as possible outdoors. But, when the diet also slacks then it makes more trouble...

@rikkejohnsenrij yes I agree with you on 500 being low. When I was following 5:2 religiously I would do around 550-600 and since I was doing exercise, I felt I had a little bit of a cushion there.
    The cake is so cute! Sometimes you have to make exceptions.

@flossyruby1 sorry for your loss. Sending hugs. <3
    I like your goal of December, in time for your trip. You totally got this!

My week is going well. Sticking with my calorie limits and have had two good workouts on Monday and Tuesday nights. Same planned for today and tomorrow. Friday is typical our rest day at the gym. When I say "we" or "our" I mean my guy and I as we are doing this together.

See you all soon. Have a great day!!
  • jknight001
    Options
    @flossyruby1 - Thank you so much for sharing your poignant words on your mom's death with us. It is refreshing to hear of grief instead of being drowned out and buried. May Love heal your heart in due time and bring back into your life all the gifts that were stolen by the grief. And may you be left of many fond memories of your mom.

To all - I thought I remember seeing on this board that Michael Mosley had raised the fast day to 600 cals? Anyone remember seeing that? Not sure why he made the change, though.
  • snaps27
    Options
    Glad to be back. We can do this ”again” together. On my morning walk again. Yesterday managed 17000 steps, which is good for me. Four days in a row doing a significant walk is a first. I’m going to try and keep it up during the week. I used to not do anything on my fast days but these walks have been great. Tomorrow I’ll do my walk with cardio and strength training. Still managed to not fall on my face but did spill my coffee. The universe is trying to tell me something :#
  • snaps27
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Side note...you know the takeaway coffee cups from Costa and Starbucks etc... do you think they give us comfort because they remind us of the ‘sippy’cups we used to drink out of a kids. I just can’t bring myself to remove the lid. Sorry total random thought.
  • flossyruby1
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you @jknight001. I’m not one to sugar coat stuff. I’ve learned there is no right way to grieve and I’ve come to accept my reactions as normal, regardless of how they manifest.

I’m super pumped to get back to a fasting routine. Monday’s and Thursday’s are my typical days bc Friday’s are usually a day when we go out. It’s kind of hard to stick to 500 cals when you’re out! Lol. But I’m going to have to be strategic on FD because now that I’m running, I tend to get hungrier later. So it’s a work in progress. Today may not work for fasting...my husband and I will be going for a longish bike ride. Tomorrow, he’s at work and I substitute teach, which means no going out and lots of distractions. A winning combination.

Best wishes, friends!!!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hey all!

Yes, @jknight001 Dr. Moseley did make the change. Actually the calories were upped to 800. Link below where he answers some questions about that.

https://the5-2dietbook.com/many-calories-fast-day

@snaps27 LOL I know what you mean about those to-go coffee cups! I like a lid too. Safer that way too, because less chance of it spilling and getting burned.

Things are going well here. At the moment, I am ignoring the lovely bagels and cream cheese that one of my wonderful coworkers brought in today for the company kitchen. :(

Having some water and about to have some oatmeal. Bagels are like so high in calories. Who wants to eat those?! :#

Planning to hit the gym after work tonight and to stick to around 1200 calories today.

Have a nice day all! See you around here soon.
  • jknight001
    Options
    I woke up yesterday feeling kinda meh about doing a fast day but after seeing what you are all up to I got all jazzed and made it through my Thursday fast!

I am not sure why but for this 5:2 round it has been pretty hard to get into the groove. I think it has to do with having more distactions like out of town guests and lunch/dinnner dates with friends. :/

@snaps27 - I thought the same thing about the new Starbucks lids! Giant sippy cups. LOL Fantastic work with your steps! Keep it up!

@flossyruby1 - Love all the great exercise you are doing. Really encouraging to me.

@meghan509- 800 calories???!!! At almost double the cals that sounds like a feast! :D I will definitely be reading the link on that one. I love bagels. One of the good bagel chains should make minis. I think they would really sell since the full size ones are quiet expensive calorie-wise. I applaud you for being able to resist the call of the bagel. :D

Happy Friday to you all. Have a good one!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    I’m in agreement with you @jknight001. I’ve been doing 5:2 for several years and it can get tedious, esp when you’re so hungry even the cat looks delicious. My plan is to fast today. Im going to go for a run and possibly list weights, so one of my cats may very well go missing. But hey...sometimes this stuff happens :D At any rate, fingers crossed for a successful FD. I try not to exercise on FD, but I’m doing a C25K and I don’t want to get behind.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Happy Friday 5:2 friends!!

Hope all is good in your 'hood. :D

I weighed in this AM and happily found I was down .6 for the week, so happy that it is going in the right direction. Slowly but surely I will get there some day. Oh how I wish I lost this weight when I was younger. Not so fun in my mid-40's but what can I do. Stay focused. :)

I managed to not have one single bite of bagel yesterday! I even packaged up the rest and put them in the 'fridge for anyone that wants to have one today. Not me. LOL

@jknight001 Yes, 800 sounds kinda easy compared to what we've been doing. LOL! I may try that in the future to keep shaking things up.
    I hear you about a groove. I have been in a funk the last few months. I am finally feeling back on track. Take it one day at a time. You got this. :)
    I agree with you on the bagels. OMG, I love them. In my old life when I was very overweight and not following any type of WOE, I would eat a bagel a day for breakfast. Then add in all the other high calorie stuff for the remainder of the day... Sigh, I wondered why I was so heavy. Great idea re: minis! Reminds me of the Magnum ice cream bars that come in Mini size. Those are so yummy and around 150 calories. Six small bars come in a box and they make a nice low cal treat!

I will let you all go. Off to fill up my water glass and start the day. Have a nice one and see you guys soon.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    I’m in agreement with you @jknight001. I’ve been doing 5:2 for several years and it can get tedious, esp when you’re so hungry even the cat looks delicious.

Hi @flossyruby1 hope you are well! LOL on the cat. I know what you mean! Have a great day.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    You too @Meghan509!!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Oh MY!!! It’s a party!!! Welcome back everyone! And my Flossy’s back too!!! <3:* Yeaaa... our Meghan’s been holding down the fort for us doing a fantastic job!

I’m hearing a lot of great enthusiasm from you all which is awesome! Great goals too...

My motivation now is to lose weight so I can remove a ring from my finger!! Yup! That’s me, the stupid idiot that put it on (ok, squished it on) 8 months ago then gained just enough so now I cannot get it off!! The summer heat didn’t help, so I’m hoping a few solid 5:2 days, more walking and cooler weather will help!

Happy fasting to those fasting today! We can do this!! And Flossy, there’s more protein in a dog! {{hugs}}

Cheers people!!