what do ya do about constipation?

Options
2»

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Fiber is only going to make it bulk up. Fiber causes constipation. It’s not the solution.
    You are probably low in sodium.

I agree, when I am constipated adding fiber only makes it a lot worse. I use a lot of mag. citrate, powdered form, with potassium also powdered, along with pink salt to make a potent ketoaide drink. Works way better than fiber does for me.

This article indicates fiber isn't the best thing either.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Fiber is only going to make it bulk up. Fiber causes constipation. It’s not the solution.

I agree, when I am constipated adding fiber only makes it a lot worse. I use a lot of mag. citrate, powdered form, with potassium also powdered, along with pink salt to make a potent ketoaide drink. Works way better than fiber does for me.

What a great article!

• cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post but thought I'd add my two cents. If you are eating a lot of dairy, which is easy on keto, you may be sensitive. I find that if I have it every day, I stop up cold. Back off the dairy and I'm literally good to go.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dairy does affect some people. That's true.

That really is a good article! It makes me wonder how fibre as a treatment for ever got started. It doesn't make a lot of sense really. More fibre so you have more poop in you, so it comes out easier? More =/= easier.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you take an antacid, try cutting back or stopping it. It could be you are turning off the acid needed for digestion.
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Smooth move tea, when all else fails. Just be careful and follow the directions. If you steep it for to long it can be....violent for lack of a better term.
  • YummyMunching
    YummyMunching Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds worked for me :D
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    rkmeyer41 wrote: »
    Smooth move tea, when all else fails. Just be careful and follow the directions. If you steep it for to long it can be....violent for lack of a better term.

So way to NOT follow my own advice. I made some yesterday morning after realizing I hadn't "gone" since Friday. The phone rang and well I got distracted. Steeped for about 25-30 minutes. To make a long story short I was up and down all night.....be careful if you drink Smooth move tea!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After 40 years of life defining IBS constipation was a new subject to me.

In my case after going Keto I have found only one main cause in my case and that is not getting enough magnesium. Now I do 900-1200 mg of magnesium spread out over the day. Getting dehydrated can be a factor but I try to never let that happen anymore while taking high dosage of Vitamin D3 that sucks up a ton of Magnesium just by itself.

After learning about it here I have been using Doctor's Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium for the last few years.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    As of today, take a look at what happened to your 401K balance over the last week. If that doesn't make you *kitten* your pants, nothing will.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i will say Fiber 1 cerael helped, my 90 year old Mother told me about it!
  • gillgolfgal
    gillgolfgal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would recommend flax seeds (linseeds). I always have these in my toasted seed mix anyway but I recommended a tbs a day for a friend who was constipated and they worked wonders for her. Give them a try as part of a mix for cereal or salad sprinkling or on their own for relief!
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I added a magnesium citrate supplement in the evening... took a few days, but things are moving!
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Getting enough fiber helps me. I drink 2 tbsp of chia seeds bloomed in water almost every day - that's 9g right there.
  • bamapeggy
    bamapeggy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take two tablespoons of ACV mixed in water with No-Salt and Pink Himalayan Salt every night before bedtime. It has helped me tremendously with constipation and that wretched Keto flu. Ken Berry MD on YouTube gives you the recipe.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Adding more salt to my diet also helped me. I also use butter every day, even if I have to put it on a few small crackers. It really helped as well.