Not losing

Options
measurecp
measurecp Posts: 12 Member
I'm in my healthy weight range, but I have put on about 8lbs this summer. I've been working out pretty heavily for about 6 weeks [hour of cardio 6x a week, 1 hour of weight training 3-4x a week](after not working out regularly for a year). I'm doing 16:8 intermittent fasting, eating carb light, but not Keto. The scale isn't moving at all. I have a withings scale, with the fat monitor. My fat is going down (about a pound in the past month), but weight isn't moving. Should I be celebrating, or discouraged?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When starting new exercise, it is very common for the muscles to retain water. It looks like a stall on the scale which can last a while for some. As long as your calorie intake hasn't increased significantly and you are still in a deficit you should start to see the scale move soon.

How are your measurements and clothes fitting?
  • measurecp
    measurecp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really can't tell a difference in anything other than i think i can tell a difference in the appearance of my body. less dimpling on my legs...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you accurate with your food logging, weighing all solids consistently?
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. So frustrating isn't it? My waist measurements have gone down though, so maybe measure or check progress by how clothes fit. Sounds like you are doing everything right
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Really, it's the measurements that count - not the scale number. You will find that recomping changes to body appearance and clothing fit are a better indicator of fat loss. WTG, getting back at it. I also IF and eat low carb. Keep it up!
  • Paulak412
    Paulak412 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Same here, started hit 3 weeks ago and weight loss has stalled. Plus feeling hungry a lot!
  • Nic123fitness
    Nic123fitness Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I’ve been like this for ages. I put 14 pounds on in summer and is taken me til now to loose 3! I go to the gym 6 days. I guess the deficit is not big and it’s slow process. Important to keep at it though as my body is less strong than it was. Good luck!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    Like others mentioned, find a few ways to track your progress - measurements, progress photos, plus the scale. I recommend a trend app if you're not already using one.

Secondly, if you're not using a food scale, time to start using one. You can put on plenty of weight eating "healthy" foods. If you're working out a lot, chances are your hunger has increased, and you may be increasing your intake more than you realize if you're not measuring everything.

I use my own variation of OMAD, and even then I have to be careful of how much I consume or can go over my daily calories.
  • katzer
    katzer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was excercising too much and really reinjured sprained ankle and broken toe, I need to lose 10to 15 pounds im doing the dash diet
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well you are working out and building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and you say your fat % has gone down. So you are actually losing fat weight. I'd rely more on your Bust, Waist, Hips and fat % measurements than your weight.
  • Ketogirl007
    Ketogirl007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on the keto diet for a while. How's your energy level? You might want to go lower on the carbs and try keto. If you're already low carb but not in ketosis you're body is in that grey area and not operating at peak performance since it's struggling between glucose and ketones.
  • debrockman1
    debrockman1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that I have to monitor both calories and carbs. My sweet spot for consistent (but slow) weight loss when I'm down to the last five is to keep my carbs at 60 or less, and my calories between 1000 and 1200. I drink a lot of tea and water. I'm 60 years old (but pretty fit), so my calorie needs even when very active - cardio/weights/planks and pushups 6 days a week. If you are younger, you can assuredly eat more calories.
  • Katiexox98
    Katiexox98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight doesnt matter! Try measuring your progress using measurements of your body. Muscle mass weighs alot more than fat so it is normal to maintain or even gain weigh twhen building a sculpted lean body :)