Fasting study shows T2D reversal

nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
An article on it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/09/health/diabetes-fasting-study/index.html?fbclid=IwAR16JDXhm3d5u8Y2E6ycjbPmFh18ZNhM0pRJwkJbauXqQJ5bJ0uO3XayTPo

The study:
http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2018/bcr-2017-221854.full 9

Therapeutic use of intermittent fasting for people with type 2 diabetes as an alternative to insulin

Summary
This case series documents three patients referred to the Intensive Dietary Management clinic in Toronto, Canada, for insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes. It demonstrates the effectiveness of therapeutic fasting to reverse their insulin resistance, resulting in cessation of insulin therapy while maintaining control of their blood sugars. In addition, these patients were also able to lose significant amounts of body weight, reduce their waist circumference and also reduce their glycated haemoglobin level.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    What exactly does it mean to "reverse" diabetes? For a T2, does that mean to get off meds and have an A1C in the normal range? This has long been a question of mine, and it sometimes seems to mean going off insulin.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited October 2018
    2t9nty wrote: »
    What exactly does it mean to "reverse" diabetes? For a T2, does that mean to get off meds and have an A1C in the normal range? This has long been a question of mine, and it sometimes seems to mean going off insulin.
    Exactly. Removal from insulin chains is part of the reward. I’ve heard that reversal is all about living for BGs/A1cs that are consistently (not just once, but forever) as good or better than those of a child (well, a child who isn’t born with T1D, which would bring its own reasons to avoid food and drink). (Am I correct, @ anyone who perhaps literally knows this disgusting disease like the back of their hands?)
    As for fasting, is timing the only abnormal restriction in the article, or do the patients excuse certain foods from their lifestyles (and, during fasting, do they excuse everything except air/oxygen or are healthy drinks allowed?). I ask, with exceptional curiosity about that last question, because, at the only time my morning blood sugar was at an acceptable 2-digit level and stayed there, I was NPO no TPN (absolutely nothing by mouth or bloodstream*, not even water), air only*. Of course, this was supervised by a doctor-heck, my doctor ordered it for some gut troubles I was getting-and only lasted a week (and led to some miraculous weight loss when I was stuck in that respect of my life), so I’m sure something to drink and some rice were on standby if I were at risk of going hypoglycemic (spoiler alert: I’m not, because I have more than enough extra blubber attached for that time when I will no doubt make and keep a New Year’s Resolution/follow a doctors’ order to abstain from anything by mouth or bloodstream for the whole year. Now all I have to do, unless The Powers That Be do it for me, is decide which year is going to be my “cleanup year” to do it).
    *Yes, we oxygenate/nourish our, ta-dah, bloodstream during breathing. Let me explain the contradiction...nothing else/nothing from the outside world was allowed into my personal bloodflow, just O2.
  • nvmomketo

That would be my guess. To achieve labs like that of a normal, healthy person without meds.

I don't think it's a permanent reversal though. At least for most. The IR reversal probably only lasts as long as the behaviour and food change.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

That would be my guess. To achieve labs like that of a normal, healthy person without meds.

I don't think it's a permanent reversal though. At least for most. The IR reversal probably only lasts as long as the behaviour and food change.

It is one of those things where people manage a chronic disease with diet, exercise, weight loss, whatever instead of meds. I am doing that, but I totally understand that I am still diabetic. If I were to start eating the SAD at a calorie level to maintain current weight, my numbers would not be good, and I would have to go back on meds.

"Reverse" just seems to be a term that gets used a lot with diabetes, and it is poorly defined. I think it implies to some people a "cure."
  • nvmomketo
    You may be right. I would not be surprised if some who have reversed their T2D go back to bad habits because they are "cured".
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    I'm no expert on this matter... having said that, 2of my doctors have said once diagnosed with type 2 diabetes you will always be a type 2 but you can manage it but not be cured.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    amyfrogred wrote: »
    I'm no expert on this matter... having said that, 2of my doctors have said once diagnosed with type 2 diabetes you will always be a type 2 but you can manage it but not be cured.
    That reflects what a hospital nurse I had said. Once diabetic, always diabetic. Ironically, that doesn’t reflect Mom’s story. I gave her gestational diabetes and she would develop T2 later, but now her battle is to keep her energy/sugars up, not down, due to unscheduled weight loss.
  • nvmomketo
    Yeah, it's reversed diabetes and not "cured".

But then again, someone who quits smoking is now a non-smoker. That status also only lasts as long as they don't smoke. Reversed diabetes will last as long as the lifestyle changes last.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    As I understand it, reversed in the context of this study means exactly what was stated in the OP - getting off insulin and maintaining glucose control through lifestyle. In addition A1c was REDUCED, not normal but better.