Calculating MACROS wrong for weight loss?!

Options
schucster
schucster Posts: 5 Member
Since I'm trying to lose weight, I was told in Keto chat that I shouldn't have macro percentages like the 75F/20P/5C I have been doing. I should have 20 Carb limit, Protein calculated based on lean body mass, and Fat is what's left over so when I calculated that I have (percentages) 67F/27P/6C. So my fat intake goes way down and my protein goes up..carbs stay at 20.

Does this sound right to you all for weight loss and being in deficit? Thanks!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Not sure where the 20 gram carb limit myth but it may have been from a family member that started the myth eating less than 150 grams of carbs daily will bring a premature death. :)

My n=1 shows the 75F/20P/5C and 50 gram daily carb limit to be working for me.

There is nothing wrong with going lower I guess but my nut sources will not permit me to go that low.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    schucster wrote: »
    Since I'm trying to lose weight, I was told in Keto chat that I shouldn't have macro percentages like the 75F/20P/5C I have been doing. I should have 20 Carb limit, Protein calculated based on lean body mass, and Fat is what's left over so when I calculated that I have (percentages) 67F/27P/6C. So my fat intake goes way down and my protein goes up..carbs stay at 20.

For weight loss, either is fine so long as the total macro percentages (converted to calories) don't meet or exceed the calories you would require to maintain your current weight. Try either for a month and see how you do.

Typed from the perspective that my personal experience has been I have to manage calories for weight loss and maintenance. Low carb and or keto makes it easier for me based on the satiety/reduced cravings provided.
  • schucster
    schucster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I go over the calculated calorie limit...along with the macros.

kpk54, are you saying that as long as you don't go over your calories, you feel it doesn't matter if those calories come from Fat or Protein?

Thanks
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I go over the calculated calorie limit...along with the macros.

kpk54, are you saying that as long as you don't go over your calories, you feel it doesn't matter if those calories come from Fat or Protein?

Thanks

What I said was in regards to weight loss either scenario you presented in your original post is fine. It is not as though you have 0 fat or 0 protein in either of those splits. ;)

There are Essential Proteins and Essential Fats. Essential to dietary intake because the body cannot make them yet requires both of them for health. One should get enough of both. What is considered "enough" is a hugely debated topic. I won't digress....

The 2 scenarios you presented are not that different from one another to make a difference. Try either for a month and see how you do. I think I said that too in my post above.

I had a lengthy response typed but it was....just a rant... so deleted it. :)

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for a 1400 calorie ceiling, with a minimum of 100g protein, maximum of 35g carb. I am often over the protein and under the carbs. I fill the rest with fat.

I think technically in the app my macros are 35P/55F/10C, which works out to 123g protein, 86g fat and 35g carbs, if I were to hit my 1400 perfectly. This keeps me full and happy.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Wow- @nicsflyingcircus - long time, no see. I don't get in here daily, but haven't seen you in quite a while. Glad to see you!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Wow- @nicsflyingcircus - long time, no see. I don't get in here daily, but haven't seen you in quite a while. Glad to see you!

I took a long hiatus, been back at my tracking for just over a month now, starting to get a little more active in the forums again.
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Why so high in protein @nicsflyingcircus if you don't mind my asking?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    dkginger wrote: »
    Why so high in protein @nicsflyingcircus if you don't mind my asking?

Because it keeps me full, it makes it easier to eat family meals with my non low carb family, and I like it :)
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That’s exactly right.
    Here’s an example of what happened to me. I started keto following the percentages you first mention. With restricted protein and lots and lots of fat.
    I lost weight but I didn’t lose much fat. Second photo.
    Then I changed to a ratio based on maximum carbs, protein to maintain lean mass and fat is what’s left and even though I stopped losing weight, I finally started losing body fat.
    I also think I lost muscle and bone density with too low protein for too long and I think I was able to recover some or most of that.
    8f6p7jk0a4zm.jpeg

What percentages do you use now? Photos are amazing. Shows why the scale shouldn't be our main concern.
  • milowen
    milowen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always recommend you keep the fat high if you're just beginning, but many others would disagree with me. I think most people benefit from the satiety of it. I followed the macros and lost very quickly (16lbs the first 10 days on 140g fat), but more importantly was off of diabetes and blood pressure meds within weeks.
    Many others swear by the 'fat is a lever' and go with higher protein. If the higher protein still results in losing weight or other goals, then go with it. I plan to raise mine as I lose and exercise more.
    My only other advice is, don't get too hung up on the 20g of carbs if you are struggling to get there. Eat the green things and don't sweat the carbs. They're full of nutrients and fiber. If you're a fan of people like Dr. Berg he suggests 7-10 cups of greens per day.
    Like another poster said, I produce ketones on up to 50g/day. I'm averaging a 4lb a week loss (5'8 193, 13-1400 cal/day) without hunger or limiting vegetables.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have experimented with different macros trying to find the happy place for me. I am in maintenance now and still keto, but I did lose 135 pounds total, and 95 of those were on keto.

I have C -> 5%, F -> 60% and P -> 35%, but I am usually under on fat and calories and over on protein. Actual breakdown of consumed calories has me at 45-50% protein most days.

I am not claiming this the thing for everyone to do or that it would work for everyone. It is just where I have found myself (for now) after some experimenting. This has been satisfying for me and fairly easy to manage.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That’s exactly right.
    Here’s an example of what happened to me. I started keto following the percentages you first mention. With restricted protein and lots and lots of fat.
    I lost weight but I didn’t lose much fat. Second photo.
    Then I changed to a ratio based on maximum carbs, protein to maintain lean mass and fat is what’s left and even though I stopped losing weight, I finally started losing body fat.
    I also think I lost muscle and bone density with too low protein for too long and I think I was able to recover some or most of that.
    8f6p7jk0a4zm.jpeg

What percentages do you use now? Photos are amazing. Shows why the scale shouldn't be our main concern.

I am not sure what my macros would be now as I don’t track. I am carnivore and only get a couple carbs per day from eggs and dairy. I eat 1 to 1.5 pounds of ground beef most days that’s either 80/20 or 85/15. I don’t add any fat to that and I don’t eat the fat that cooks off of it. Some days I’ll have less beef and have chicken or fish. Some days I’ll have some bacon with eggs or on a burger.
    When I was still tracking when I made those changes back then I think I was around 35% to 40% protein and 5% total carbs and 55% to 60% fat while in a slight calorie deficit.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I dream of living in a universe where I don't have to track what I eat...but I really like food way too much for that!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Seems smart to me. Protein should be according to lean mass, as you said, so when you increase calories at maintenance, that's when a 75F/20P/5C macro might occur (from higher fat or carbs).

Carbs can wiggle a bit too depending on your preference and health. Some prefer more carbs and others prefer less. If 20g is working for you, then you might as well go with it. :)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a limit, protein is a target (based on your LEAN body mass, and never changes) and fat is the rest. This is why percentages don't work. Your weight loss calorie limit reduces as your weight reduces (so you need less calories at, say, 200 lbs to lose weight than you did at 250 lbs). When you reduce your calories, you reduce it from the fat calories, not protein, and not already low carbs. For example, I eat 30g carbs, 85g protein, and the rest is fat. When I was heavier this was 1800 cals. Now it's 1450.