No one talks about fat atrophy in the foot? Why?

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
No one talks about fat atrophy in the foot? Why?

It seems as though mine has been coming on for years now, and at this point, I've been in constant pain for the past 5 months.

The dr has me in padded orthotics, taking Advil before spin class, and icing my foot a couple of times a day. I've also used steroids for pain relief.

How come it's not talked about more openly here? I did a search; am I the only one who suffers from this?

Replies

• Cavspider
    Cavspider Posts: 327 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Plantar fat pad atrophy. Never knew it had a name but I have always had sensitive feet and have had to take precautions most of my adult life. Often felt like the balls of my feet were bruised playing sports or just walking in poorly cushioned shoes. So I have always supplemented my shoes with padded insoles. I wear rockports instead of leather soled shoes for work. Extra cushioned socks help. Leather soles kill my feet terribly. I walk four miles each day but inside my already cushioned walking shoes I have an additional padded insole. Just the cost of being on my feet I have adapted to long ago. Without such precautions it feels like someone took a hammer to the balls of my feet. It could be worse.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,922 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it before!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My wife has it. It's from cortisone shots in the foot that she got years ago from having plantars fasciatis. I begged her not to get the shots but she did anyway. That can (and in her case did) cause permanent fat pad loss to her heel. Nothing can be done about it. Don't get Cortisone shots.

If she were just a lot more active about stretching her foot and wearing splints at night for the PF, she wouldn't have it. A lot of conventional doc treatments, IMO, make things worse, not better.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Seems they are starting to inject fat from the abdomen into people's feet with success I've read recently.
  • Linnell63
    Linnell63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have very little fat left in my heels. I've had plantar fasciitis many times and have gone through Physical Therapy for it. I'm not sure what causes the fat to atrophy but it sure can be painful.
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try Allbird shoes from San Francisco. Best shoes for bad feet ever! Buy on line. This is not a paid endorsement. They just are great. I want them to expand and get into a fancier shoe!
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and already feel it on carpet. Birkenstock’s indoors. Podiatrists recommend good supportive indoor shoes vs slippers. See your full service shoe store for fit & brands vs discount stores yet any shoe is better than nothing. Go for the supportive tho as u only have 1 set of feet and pain is a *kitten*. I have intermittent plantar fasciitis and good shoes really help.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    My wife finds those Tuli's heavy duty heel cups to be the best relief. We've tried a bunch of things but she loves those. It's like foam that cups your heel and replaces the fat for cushion. They are really cheap and last a long time.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Maybe that explains why my feet seem to hurt more lately. I found this thread interesting.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    My grandfather had fat loss on the feet. But he was in his 90s when it started.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Updated to report that I saw a different dr, had an MRI, and was diagnosed with a ripped plantar plate and heel spurs.

I have plenty of FAT!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Updated to report that I saw a different dr, had an MRI, and was diagnosed with a ripped plantar plate and heel spurs.

I have plenty of FAT!!!

Yikes: No wonder it hurt! Do you have a treatment plan now that sounds promising, I hope?

Sending wishes for improvement!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Thank you . I'll be in a rocking boot for 8 weeks, then I'll get a repeat MRI to see how I'm healing.

As of yesterday, I have completed week 4 in the boot. The pain doesn't wake me up at night anymore. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update: Glad to hear you're on an improving path! :flowerforyou:
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Thank you. I can't wear this boot forever and truthfully, with below zero wind chills, I've been wearing it less outside too, which is where I really need it. It's an open toe though - no amount of wool socks can protect me from frostbite though.