Which magnesium to take? Uk

Options
fatsork
fatsork Posts: 82 Member
Hi iv heard different types of magnesium tablets can give you the runs πŸ‘€, which ones should i be taking currently im only taking a multivitamin, any uk ketoers help

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I don't know a specific brand, but stay away from any that are based on magnesium oxide - it is the least bio-available and the one most likely to cause bathroom issues (like don't wander far from the facilities type issues).
  • fatsork
    Options
    I don't know a specific brand, but stay away from any that are based on magnesium oxide - it is the least bio-available and the one most likely to cause bathroom issues (like don't wander far from the facilities type issues).

Thank you for that, i shall need to get on the hunt. I found no magnesium supplements when i last went to tescos so any help from any Uk ppl with brands will be greatly appreciated
  • fatsork
    Options
    Is it better to take the magnesium topically?
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    topically is much faster and not possible to do over, while drinking too much will end up on toilet

best for sure is in both ways
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Better is relative - I use the topical anytime I have muscle cramps, spray it right on the cramping area and have relief in seconds. I also use it if I have trouble falling asleep, and in that case I just put it anywhere...your body cannot uptake melatonin without sufficient magnesium.

I take the oral when I strength train and most of the time that seems to keep away the sleep issues and cramping...but sometimes I forget.

I also take MSM for carpal tunnel, and that can boost magnesium metabolism, so I might be causing my own deficiency with that supplement, but it makes a huge difference in how my wrists feel, so it's worth it.

If you are interested in a cheap topical version, go to a local farm store and buy epsom salt for your bath...instant magnesium soak and it's usually only a few bucks for a gallon bucket of the salt.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @tcunbeliever i also take MSM and could not find anything about boosting magnesium metabolism - at least not in my language.

do you have a link?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    What an excellent question...it was some kind of biology paper riddled with molecule diagrams and was a study based on the miners that used to come into contact with MSM...let me see if I can find it again...no promises...I've been on MSM for like 4-5 years now, so it was a while ago...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I ended up buying Trace Minerals Liquid Mega-Mag, 400 mg, 4 Ounce but to be honest I have been too scared to try it. I keep thinking of that line in a Jack Nicholson movie "when you get to be my age, never trust a fart".

It appears to be a liquid measured in drops but is also apparently bitter so I am not sure how best to take it. I want to eliminate some constipation and have been cramping up a bit since I started going back to the gym. I just don't want the results to hit during my 5 am run. Any ideas on how to take it would be appreciated.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give a thanks for the topical Mag reminder. I rubbed in the oil on my hamstrings last night before bed and am happy to report the first morning in 4 days where I did not wake up with a Charlie horse! I have been keeping my sodium up around 3.5-4kish, and just one week back with the keto program. Really just wanted to say thank-you.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I take chelated magnesium malate, in a compound formula. Sells on Amazon as Jigsaw MagSRT. I use to take mag citrate but that gave me the unholy *kitten*.
  • fatsork
    Options
    Help?are these ingredients getle on the stomach??
  • Luannelizabeth
    Luannelizabeth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been using magnesium glycinate for restless legs. As long as I take it, I have no problems!