Are you carb sensitive?

Options
loveshoe
loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
Carbs are my enemy!!! I notice if my carbs go above 75grams per day I gain weight. When I look at fluctuations in my weight and see a 5 pound gain my diet during that time has always had an increase in carbs. I talked with the nutritionist and she stated that some, not all WLS patients see a slow down in metabolism after weight loss and that extra carbs can cause weight gain if not burned off with exercise. If I exceed 75 grams of carbs I have to exercise like I'm training for an Ironman competition. Although 75grams seems low that works for my body.

Where do you have to keep your carbs to lose weight or maintain your weight loss?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't count any macros. I do motice if I eat REFINED carbs in large quantities then I ain weight. But once I cut back for a few days im good.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The type of carb does matter. As long as I stick with fruits and vegetables I'm alright but anything not in it's pure and natural state kicks my butt. I've decided if I want a donut then I should walk to the donut shop which is about 5 miles away, buy 1 donut and walk back home. If I really want the donut then I shouldn't mind the walk.
  • MargoCL_72
    MargoCL_72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I noticed before wls that my body was carb sensitive. I started Keto in January (at the start of my wls journey) and found that anytime I ate more than 30 net carbs per day I would not lose weight. The carbs would give me that full belly feeling and keep me swollen the remainder of the day. At the time, my nutritionist somewhat argued with me and told me I needed to up my carbs and every time I followed her guidelines I gained.

I'm now 9 weeks post surgery, down 37lbs and try to keep my net carbs below 30. I know deep down that my body is completely against carbs and I have to be conscious about everything I eat.
  • clsumrall1
    clsumrall1 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Margo CL I think we have the same Metabolism. I too can tolerate natural carbs. And God forbid refined carb 😝. But over 30 grams or 15 % of my macros I’m in trouble.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My surgeon literally told me that carbs are my enemy. That said, I have noticed on my own that refined carbs are truly not a friend of mine.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    Carbs are my enemy!!! I notice if my carbs go above 75grams per day I gain weight. When I look at fluctuations in my weight and see a 5 pound gain my diet during that time has always had an increase in carbs. I talked with the nutritionist and she stated that some, not all WLS patients see a slow down in metabolism after weight loss and that extra carbs can cause weight gain if not burned off with exercise. If I exceed 75 grams of carbs I have to exercise like I'm training for an Ironman competition. Although 75grams seems low that works for my body.

Where do you have to keep your carbs to lose weight or maintain your weight loss?

I'm type one diabetic, body type leans endomorph and messed up metabolism before and after surgery. Yep, I'm carb sensitive.

I am hitting around 55 to 70 grams in weight loss mode (exception is long run days) Does not matter how much I exercise. (two hours five days a week) If I want my body to lose weight I have to lower my carbs.

Distance running I carb load for seven days straight pre race. I gain around 5 to 6 pounds. I have to get back on track and slowly work it off.

• hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i try to keep my carbs around 100. if they dip too low, it affects my mood. so i had to find a balance. my surgeon said because i'm old and short, my weight loss will be slow ... but i'm very happy with my progress so far. 54lbs in 5 1/2 months.
  • vlhgsd
    vlhgsd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and am insulin resistant. I try to stay under 50 for the day
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 3 months ago, and my surgeon said to stay under 50 g carbs. I haven't asked about total vs net carbs. (I wish MFP had a net carb column.) I think I'm too new in my journey to have much of an understanding on what affects me and how. I'm still super cautious on trying new foods.