Hair Loss

lozenger1984
lozenger1984 Posts: 166 Member
Has anyone else had significant problems with hair loss post op?

I'm 6 months down the line and have lost just under 6 stone. I'm so pleased with my progress on this front but my hair has been falling out in clumps for a while and is starting to look quite noticeable. I'm going to get my hair cut to try and make it less obvious.

I'm trying to make sure I have all my vitamins and protein. I've read it can take a while to grow back but just wondering what everyone else have found and if there was anything else which helped.

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Biotin and collagen are what I take to help with that
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    There's really nothing you can do about it. Almost everyone experiences hair loss. Eat REAL FOOD and you'll get all the nutrients you need.
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 356 Member
    I'm 3 months out and my hair loss has begun. I've been dreading this part of the process.
  • Jenneke0269
    Jenneke0269 Posts: 28 Member
    Yeah, my hair loss started about 10 weeks post-op. It's not too much hair, just gotta clean my comb a bit more often.
    The reason the hair loss happens is because after surgery, your body prioritizes healing itself over non-essential things like hair growth. And since the hair breaks off when the follicles stop, you lose hair.
    It shouldn't last more than a couple months before your body has recovered enough to resume maintaining its non-essential functions.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    I know people blame the anesthesia and the surgery, but honestly, it’s the rapid weight loss that causes it and it will stop and regrow when your weight loss stops. I know this because I lost a ton of hair with my sleeve, and sleeve surgery was absolutely nothing compared to my post-wls plastics which were 11+ hours and the most grueling recovery you can even imagine and I didn’t any hair from that. So take heart. It’s temporary and it’ll grow back! You’re not doing anything wrong and nothing you do short of stopping the weight loss (fyi, don’t do that until you’re done!) will make it come back. So hang in there!
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 356 Member
    I'm exploring the different ways of covering the hair loss, like Topix, and am expecting some Batiste dry shampoo with color to arrive today. They help make it less noticeable. My friends tell me they don't notice it, but I think they're just being nice, lol.