Back to Low Carb Living

Options
Morning all

I am back on the wagon today, 40 grams limit a day for me. Need to shift 243 lbs so, long haul but, it will happen this time as I intend to use the forums for support to keep me on track :-) Any tips welcome on how to do this on a super low budget, thank you.

God bless you

Vicky
xoxox

Replies

• samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    20grams of CHO and OMAD intermittent fasting will help. One meal is usually significantly cheaper than three.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would first get used to eating very low carb before cutting calories too, or even ease into eating that low of a carb level over a few days or weeks, unless you are the type who does better jumping in with both feet. ;)

Consider making the food changes first. Start shifting your fridge and pantry over to low carb foods so those are the foods you have to choose from. I found it helpful to ease into for a while, and then after a couple of weeks I found I was starting to feel good, and my appetite was dropping, so then I took the plunge to very low carb, and lower calories (~1500 kcal). Ymmv.

Do make sure that you increase your sodium intake as you lower carbs because you will lose sodium and water due to used glycogen and lower insulin levels. Most low carbers need 3000-5000+ mg of sodium a day (2300mg sodium =1 tsp salt) and if you cut carbs quickly you will need to increase salt noticeably if you want to avoid an electrolyte imbalance ("Keto flu"). You need much more salt if you experience fatigue, headaches, brain fog, moodiness, nausea, bm issues, muscle weakness or spasms. Salty bullion, salt tablets, or just eating half a teaspoon of salt with water a couple of times a day will help you avoid those symptoms.

Good luck!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Low carb on a budget is easy if you are ok buying in bulk, grabbing sales and being a repetitive eater. This is a typical month for me. I budget around $375.00 but mine will likely be higher as I spend a lot on protein due to lots of lifting and need almost 225 grams a day. Month is almost done and I've only spent $302.00 of it.

I'm using Sams Club/Walmart as an example:

Breakfast for month: $96.00

Egg whites (18 containers @ 2 meals per box) = $9.00 x 3 = $27.00
    Spinach (10 bags) = $3.00 x 10 = $30.00
    Turkey Bacon (3 boxes) = $7.00 X 3 = $21.00
    Coffee (1 container) = $9.00
    Half and Half (3 containers) = $3.00 X 3 = $9.00

Lunch/Dinner for month: $228.00

Chicken Breast or Ground Chicken (Few boxes of whatever is on sale) = $75.00
    Shredded lettuce (6 containers) = $3.00 x 6 = $24.00
    Various cauliflower rice (60 bags) = $2.00 X 60 = $120.00 (I splurge on this but you can do this yourself for like half the price)
    Dressing like ranch etc: (3 bottles) = $3.00 x 3 = $9.00

Other: $50.00
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Linda's Low Carb site is probably the best for good eats on a budget. You won't find recipes for swordfish there but lots of recipes for ground beef and chicken. Link below.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • bluebent1
    bluebent1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I just hopped back on the wagon myself and am looking forward to significant changes and benefits of eating LCHF (Keto). I would also suggest shopping sales and in bulk. Just be sure to have things prepared to eat in advance as it's easy to slip into old habits otherwise. I have a terrible sweet tooth and so have to make sure I have fat bombs and other LCHF treats made for those moments. Best of luck to you. I'm rooting for you!! B)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Shop your local sales and eat whatever meats are super cheap...most grocery stores will have a specific day of the week that old meats get marked for sale - if you eat them or freeze them immediately they are quite a great deal...I can sometimes find ground beef for $1-$2 per pound, or chicken for 0.69/lb...then start with whatever non-starchy vegetables are on sale...the Lidl near me just had brusel sprouts for 0.89/bag in the freezer section and they had salad for 0.39/bag.

Canned meats are also a good option since you don't need freezer/refrigerator space to keep them stored which makes stocking up easier when you find a good price.

Eggs are pretty much always reasonably priced and can be made into a huge variety of things.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have yo-yo'd so many times because I'm an emotional/stress eater. But I always come back to low carb, not just for weight loss, but for general betterment. I've lost both of my parents this year and have ballooned up to my highest weight of 245. But now I have no more excuses and can dedicate my time to getting me healthier. I can relate to the budget as well.

I second that recommendation of Linda's Low Carb/genaw.com site. Her recipes are easy and she offers reviews and tweaks. I will make breakfast casseroles and freeze portions. Same with soups & chilis so that I have a meal option in a pinch.

The biggest thing for me to get back into is meal planning. I've been convenience eating while caring for my folks and it's been forever since I've cooked proper meals. So I need to get back into reviewing my recipes, making grocery lists, and cooking regularly.