Weekly Post 29/10/2018 - 04/11/2018

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,976 Member
Good morning everybody!

@jknight001 I am so glad it worked out regarding the new job! I know exactly what you mean. Not hearing back and stressing and worrying when it was just someone out of the office. Sigh... So glad everything is working out! When do you start?
Sorry about the LA Dodgers. They are a great team. I am happy for the Boston Red Sox. I have a lot of friends who are fans around here, so lots of happy east coast peeps.

Weekend flew by but it was good. Our little Nor'easter on Saturday was really not that bad. Lots of wind and leaves falling down but no trees or heavy rain. Light rain pretty much all day long on Saturday. We still got what we wanted to do, done which was good.

I am off to fill up my water cup and have some oatmeal. Shooting for 1200 as many days as I can this week and planning to get the gym too.

Hope everybody is good. If you are fasting today - you got this!!

See you soon.

Replies

• Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope I’m not crashing and can join in! I just started 5:2 last Friday.
    Fasting again today. (500 calories)
    My goals are not so much weight loss- more of maintaining my recent weight loss and mental clarity/ energy.
    I’ve shockingly enjoyed the fasting, and felt good, but felt bad on the days after. I read somewhere in here where I should eat a lot of protein the morning after a fast. Any thoughts?
    Thank you all so much for keeping this group open! I’ve learned a lot reading through your posts!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! Today was... NOT boring! LOL I have had a low calorie day. Not quite sure how that happened, but happy that it did. :) I might even try for a real fast tomorrow. Will have to see what the morning brings.

@Kandisn29 Welcome to the group! I am glad you have enjoyed the fasting. I sometimes get the "5:2 flu" in the evenings when I fast. I think it is on days that I haven't had enough sodium. A little broth seems to help, but that is just me. I usually have a pretty good breakfast the morning after, but some people don't. It really is just a matter of finding what works for you. Please ask any questions, this is a pretty helpful group!

@jknight001 Not the coolest school, just a pretty game staff. LOL We will try just about anything once. Principal also had to spend a day in a goat pen because the kids raised so much for the school fundraiser. Fun times! I also make sure I wear my tiara as often as possible. Kids love it.

@Meghan509 I hope you had a great day! Oatmeal sounds oddly good for a snack right now...

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    @Kandisn29 - You are most surely welcome! Feel free to post all your questions here. Right now we have two threads active - the weekly thread which you are posting on now. We create a new thread for the week and people can post or not to it. Used to keep up with each other and cheer or commiserate as needed. :D The second one was just started by @flossyruby1 for posting our progress. Feel free to post to either thread or create your own if you want.

Regarding protein and fasting, the only rule with 5:2 is that 5 days a week are higher/normal calorie levels and two days a week are at your fasting level, generally 500 calories. And on all of those days you can eat what you want up to your calorie level. Having said that, I tend to eat more protein/fats on my fast days because they fill you up longer. Carbs tend to burn quickly. Experiment and see what works best for you.

Welcome to 5:2! :)

Oh, and your profile pic is adorable.

@KateNkognito - A teacher who wears a tiara? Definitely cool. :sunglasses:
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Wow my kids have been keeping me busy. We just finished half term here in London and boy did I not stick to my diet. The only thing I did do was log everything. For a millisecond I saw 164.4 pounds but that was done quickly and I’m now at 167.7. Fasting today and should be easy because I find that when someone in my life is giving me the silent treatment... I don’t have any appetite. :/
  • Mandy55
    Mandy55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just starting 5:2 today and wanted to say hi. I’ve done a little fasting (OMAD) in the past but don’t find it very livable. I lost 60 pounds counting calories several years ago but about 15 have come back. I’d love to see some 5:2 success stories for some additional motivation. Is there a good place for me to look for those? And one more question — do most people track calories on their non-fast days? Thanks!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Welcome new folks! We love new friends to talk to!

@Kandisn29 welcome! Agree with the others here regarding protein. Sodium levels are also important. Following Light Days or when you are fasting, sometimes it helps to drink a small glass of water with a little salt thrown in if you are feeling a little "off".
    Pop in and check out our recipe threads. LOTS of yummy things on there to help with your journey.

@KateNkognito so cute with the tiara! And the goat pen. Awww... I love goats! Sounds like a fun school and a nice staff!

Hi @jknight001! Agree on your comment regarding protein being more filling than carbs. We eat a lot of beans and poultry at our house. Yes, beans can be a tad carby but they are a good protein source too, and the fiber helps keep us feeling full longer.

@Mandy55 welcome! Congrats on your loss woo hoo!
    Regarding your question on counting calories on non fast days - I can say yes that I have done that. I understand Dr. Mosley says eat "normally" on your non fasting days. The whole point is to be in a calorie deficit and that is what brings on weight loss (hopefully) :).
    With that being said, right now I am not currently doing 5:2 but I have a year plus worth of experience with it. I may go back to it, but for now I am sticking with regular CICO (Carbs in Carbs Out) and eating between 1200-1500 a day. This has been working better for me at the moment.

Just wanted to fill in the newbies, so you are not asking why the heck is she giving me advice when she is not doing 5:2. LOL
    I have lost around 40 lbs by doing 5:2. I originally started in March of 2017. I have had some ups and downs but I find it a great WOE. Definitely suggest exercising, even if it is just a light walk. Exercising goes hand and hand with eating healthy and will only help your goal!

Things are good with me. Had a good clean eating day yesterday and a trip to the gym. Planning same for today. Off to fill up my water cup and get to work.

See you soon!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Hope your week is going well. Happy Halloween! Really hoping that my coworkers don't bring in every shred of their left over Halloween candy to the office! *screams* So far I have not had any candy. Hoping to keep it that way! o:)

Goals for me today: eating 1200-1500 calories. A clean day of eating and drinking my water, and a trip to the gym tonight. Hoping it will be quiet since people will be celebrating Halloween. We typically don't get any trick or treat kids where we live since it is a small condo development and only one or two families have kids. I like to see the kiddies in their costumes, so I will be paying close attention on the drive home tonight. :)

Have a fun and safe evening if you are heading out with your kiddos!

See you soon.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I am doing ok. I am finding that I am much hungrier on 5:2 this time than before. I went a over my calorie goal yesterday (non-fast day) because I was so hungry at dinner. Can't explain why it is different this time. I don't feel more active. I am toying with the idea of going to 600 on fast days.

@Mandy55 - Sending you a warm welcome! This is my third time on 5:2 (for me, losing weight is always easier than keeping the weight off ). :blush: The thing I love about 5:2 is there is not those long periods of no weight loss that one can have with a traditional calories-in/calories-out plan. I cannot stand the plateaus. And I love the way I feel the day after the fast. I can tell my system has had a bit of rest. Right now I think I am about 20 lbs down. Looking to lose another 10. If you have any questions feel free to post. Also there is a lot of great stuff in our pinned section. I highly recommend the Mosely BBC documentary on fasting. It gives the whys and hows of 5:2.

@snap27 - Congrats on finishing the term. Hope you can work things out with Silent Treatment. That is painful. 😢

@Meghan509- Agree with you on the beans. Good source of protein with the added benefit of fiber. I could have been clearer and said simple carbs like sugar, crackers, and chips. So tempting when fasting but the hunger returns minutes after eating them, right? So sorry for the confusion. And you are strong, girl. You can avoid eating the fat producing candy. Probably too late for this but you could bring your own treat, i.e. fruit, power bar, etc., so you don't feel deprived AND you don't blow it on worthless junk food. You go, girl! <3
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

@jknight001 I totally got what you mean re: protein. You were clear. :) No confusion by me.
    Thanks!

So far no candy here this morning?! Or at last not on our floor. I am pretty good about ignoring it, or I will take one or two pieces and have them when I can justify it calorie wise. But, no scooping up and eating handfuls of candy anymore. That would be the old me. :)

I am doing well. Feeling a little more hungry this week, thanks to that time of the month lurking around the corner. Ugh. Nothing I can do but suck it up and drink some more water and wait for it to pass...

Planning to do same 1200-1500 and hit the gym tonight. Last night at the gym was a mixed back. Not dead but not 100% full either. We decided to pop over to Costco afterwards last night and that was dead! Lots of people doing the Halloween thing with kids and family.

Can you believe it is November 1!? Where has the year gone... Almost time for Thanksgiving in the US (November 22) and then Christmas will be here before we know it. Yikes!

See you guys soon. Have a good day. Sending positive fasting vibes to you all!
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone. Thanks @jknight001 everything is good now. Had a party for one this morning at a posh London restaurant. Fancy breakfast which was a bit of a letdown if I’m honest. I could have done better but the atmosphere was great. Busy chatty people and I feel way in Disney World :D On the train back to reality. Groceries, school run, dinner. Good news though I’m back down to the elusive 164lbs. My walking has really been helping. Have a great weekend all.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all!

@snaps27 Congrats on getting back down to 164 lbs! That posh London restaurant sounds fab!

Things are pretty good here. Had a good week. If only the scale cooperated sigh... Time of the month is on the way. Whatever!

Hope everybody is having a good week. Will see if I can check back in later.

See you soon!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Morning all! My week was... exciting! It was Halloween week and all the little ghosts and goblins were in fine form.
    I was actually pretty good this week. Not sure what the scale will show, but I feel good about most of the choices I made.
    @Meghan509 I hate hormones! Glad you didn't have to face the candy monster!
    @snaps27 Your outing sounds wonderful! I can't imagine getting out of the house to go to a nice place all by myself. o:) It would be heavenly! Glad you are back to 164, too!
    @jknight001 I sometimes get so hungry and I have no idea why. I hope yours goes away!
    @Mandy55 Welcome to the group! I lost 12 pounds in 10 weeks originally. But then crazy life got in the way and I gained it back. But the success I had and the fact that I feel so much better when I fast keeps bringing me back to it. And, yes, I count calories on non-fasting days (NFDs). When I get to my goal, that will be the bit that I relax on.
    Ok, it is the weekend and I have three assignments due. Have a great one, y'all! I think I might sneak a fast in today while I am busy!