Ultra marathon training

Options
Hey there!
I was wondering if anyone else is training/has trained for an ultra marathon and A) has any recomendations for a good one for my first one and B) could tell me what your weekly mileage was leading up to your race.
As you can tell from my first question, I don't yet have a set date, but atm I'm at about 30 miles a week (which, yes, I know needs to go up for an ultra, but thats why i'm here :blush: ). Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• LittleLaura16
    LittleLaura16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whoops! it turned my B into a sunglasses emoji haha, not my intention, but i'm not mad hehe.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a book called "Relentless Forward Progress". It goes through everything you'll need know and consider for your first ultra.

I develop my own training plans but this book is a strong influence to how I do it. I basically just modify his plans to the realities of my life.

For my first 50k I peaked around 50-55 miles before the taper. Get lots of trail miles (at least your long runs) and learn to love hill repeats. Also include power hiking in your training, particularly up hills. I'll power hike up any hill of decent size because the energy saving is worth the very slight decrease in speed.

Good luck!
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've run 6 50Ks over the last 2 years and since I am older, I tend to run only 4 days a week. TU/THUR are very low mileage (like 4-6 miles) and then Sat/SUN are 15+ and 8+ for a combined total of between 30 to 45 miles. I think the long runs and elevation gain are more important than total miles. I think a ultra with a bit of climbing, but not crazy, is the best as it allows for some hiking to break up the running. Good luck.
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    And agree with the book recommendation. from 7lenny7
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I've maxed out at about 55 miles per week for pretty much every ultra distance. Like @7lenny7 said, Relentless Forward Progress is a great book to use as a starting point. For ultras, time on feet and trail specific training goes a long way.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Wow I feel very much like I fluked my ultras. I didn't read anything, just upped my distance weekly, did a spot of strength work and yoga and made sure I was eating and drinking at the right times.
    Saying that I'm now struggling after all these years thanks to my asthma drugs.
    Good luck with your training and races ladies and hope to be back on the awesome mileage board again soon x