Oct 15 Weekly Challenge: Making Gratitude a Habit

Options
2»

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Today I am grateful for opportunities and blessings. I was able to go to a job fair this week and my daughter found a job.

I've got some job-related, daughter-related gratitude, too. My daughter has an interview for a job that she really wants, so that's the first step toward her dream job.

@SwimMighty, love GLAD game! It reminds me of Pollyanna!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Gratitude came very easy this week. It’s my daughter’s 25th birthday and we came up to Acadia, Maine to spend the weekend with her.

I am so proud of my daughter and the person she’s become.

I’ve been reading your updates and will respond very soon. Enjoy your weekend!

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    Gratitude came very easy this week. It’s my daughter’s 25th birthday and we came up to Acadia, Maine to spend the weekend with her.

Acadia!!! Heaven on Earth!
    Enjoy @themedalist !!!
  • themedalist
    Options

Acadia!!! Heaven on Earth!
    Enjoy @themedalist !!!

It is indeed, @MadisonMolly2017. It’s just a beautiful part of the United States.

We had an interesting hike yesterday. My daughter selected a walk that she thought would be perfect for us. Lots of great views of coves and sea birds, but not very rocky, since climbing up rocks is hard for me to do. My artificial hips give me plenty of walking power, but I’m not nearly as confident stepping up as I was with my original hips. Just one of those things.

The walk she had in mind was fairly level and pretty scenic, but that was not the walk we were on yesterday...she had gotten it confused with another nearby path. Our walk yesterday had plenty of rocks and inclines! I can step up once or twice, but doing it over and over again yesterday was a challenge. Fortunately, my husband and daughter helped me every step of the way. And it was a beautiful hike!

So this morning I’m feeling very grateful for my two new hips that allow me to not only walk, walk, and walk some more, but also enable me to push my self described limits and do things I don’t normally do. I’m also grateful that I discovered meditation this year and have made it a daily practice. Meditation teaches the importance of acceptance for the way things are, instead of clinging to the way we would like them to be. I made a conscious decision early on to not stress about the difficulty of the hike or what lay ahead and just accept it as is knowing I could handle it. My acceptance skills have definitely been sharpened through meditation and I’m grateful for that.

And I’m certainly grateful for my very supportive family!

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @the medalist I❣this post! How wonderful that you pushed yourself to a new level and had such a beautiful day with your husband and daughter. Sometimes my "self described limits" (doubt+fear) is the only thing that keeps me from doing something I want to do. I have trouble accepting help from others which is a limiting factor, too. And I'm glad you have found meditation to be so useful in your daily activities. I had not thought about acceptance in the way you described but it has certainly given me something to think about. Thank you!
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The exercise this week made me focus more on being grateful for my family. Life can get so busy that it is easy to take our loved ones for granted. I put off other tasks & chores today so I could put up Halloween decorations with my boys. We had a lot of fun and of course, I am grateful! Chores are always there & can do them tomorrow!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    Options
    @themedalist
    I am so moved by your post!!!
    I will try to accept my current situation more because of what you wrote. You are an inspiration!!

Much Love,
    Maddy ♥️
  • SwimMighty
    SwimMighty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB the Smile jar is great! What a super way to end the year. I’m stealing the idea from you. Thanks!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Grateful I found a job!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp Congrats on the new job!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @the medalist I❣this post! How wonderful that you pushed yourself to a new level and had such a beautiful day with your husband and daughter. Sometimes my "self described limits" (doubt+fear) is the only thing that keeps me from doing something I want to do. I have trouble accepting help from others which is a limiting factor, too. And I'm glad you have found meditation to be so useful in your daily activities. I had not thought about acceptance in the way you described but it has certainly given me something to think about. Thank you!

@nebslp, I think self doubts and our self described limits hold a lot of us back. To me, it’s much better to try something and have it not work out, than to not try and always wonder. My chief goal in life is to get to the end of mine with as few regrets as possible. No regrets would be great, but I don’t think that’s possible.

And thanks, @MadisonMolly2017, for the lovey response.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks @nebslp Feels surreal, being a stay at home mom for so long.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Cafelelia wrote: »
    The exercise this week made me focus more on being grateful for my family. Life can get so busy that it is easy to take our loved ones for granted. I put off other tasks & chores today so I could put up Halloween decorations with my boys. We had a lot of fun and of course, I am grateful! Chores are always there & can do them tomorrow!

So true, @Cafelelia. Pausing to reflect on what we are grateful for has a way of shuffling our priorities to focus on what’s most important in our lives. I bet your sons are thrilled with the decorations. And since today’s the day, Happy Halloween!