Oct 15 Weekly Challenge: Making Gratitude a Habit

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Happiness Challenge
Challenge: Making Gratitude a Habit

We all have blessings in our lives, gifts that are given to us freely that make our lives better and often easier than they would be otherwise. These gifts may be our health, a supportive spouse, our children and grandchildren, a trusted confidant, our unique talents and skills, access to good food and clean water, to name just a few. Our list of gifts and blessings is long and deeply personal. And each of us every day is given the gift of time...1440 minutes a day to accomplish what we need and want to do. Our time "bank accounts" get replenished every day, with new opportunities to make progress on the goals we have and the things we care about. To me, that is one of the greatest gifts of all.

Unfortunately, it's easy to overlook our many gifts and take them for granted. This week, let's spend some time reflecting on what we have been given. Cultivating gratitude as a daily practice leads to greater happiness and a multitude of other health and life benefits, as you'll see from the resources below.

To benefit fully from the transformative power of cultivating gratitude, it's important that we take some time to reflect on how each gift has impacted your life and what it means to you. A brief momentary recognition (a positive thought) isn't enough...we need to take some time to appreciate our gifts. In fact, cultivating positive experiences throughout our day including gratitude and allowing them to "seep in" has been found to physically change the structure of our brains resulting in even greater happiness and a deeper sense of well-being. Optimism can become our "default" setting with practice! (See Rick Hanson's book, Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence for a great explanation of this process).

This Week's Challenge: Take a few minutes each day this week to reflect on something you are grateful for and how it's benefited your life. Can you find a trigger or cue in your daily routine to anchor this practice to? For me, it's my morning cup of coffee. As I sip my first cup of coffee, I identify one or two things in my life I'm grateful for. I've been doing this tiny habit for several months now and it's a terrific starting point for the rest of the day.

If you have a few extra minutes, jot down what you are grateful for. Whether you use pen and paper or an online journal such as Penzu, writing down your reflections gives you something to refer back to and reread in the future. Plus, the act of writing deepens the mind-brain connection in a way that thoughts do not.

Make it a great week!

...................................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

The 31 Benefits of Gratitude You Didn’t Know About: How Gratitude Can Change Your Life
http://happierhuman.com/benefits-of-gratitude/

How Gratitude Leads to a Happier Life
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201511/how-gratitude-leads-happier-life

TED Talk: Want to be happy? Be grateful.
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_steindl_rast_want_to_be_happy_be_grateful

....................................................................................................................................................

am3xg43m5qk5.jpg

Our monthly challenge, This October I will..., continues! Please tell us how you are progressing and how it's going for you!

Replies

• themedalist
    edited October 2018
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    edited October 2018
    Great post. Like Pinky, I too have a happiness jar. My kids use it a lot and when we read the notes we have the best discussions. Before bed I give thanks, never ask or pray for anything. When I wake up I always say “ thank you”.

For this challenge I will work on cues to be more grateful throughout the day. Taking advantage of my Garmin reminder to move, I will use that to as a cue.

Today I am grateful that my husband was concerned about me, asked me questions and encouraged me. Made me feel great!!
  • themedalist
    @PinkyPan1 and @prgirl39mfp, I think your Happiness Jar is a great idea! I’m glad you are adopting it for your grandchildren, @nebslp! Finding a gratitude cue is important to make it more likely it becomes a habit.

I want to “bookend” my days with gratitude. Reflect on one or two things I’m grateful for as I sip my morning coffee and then again at night as I wrap up my bedtime yoga. I think of one or two things that happened during the day that made me happy that I’m grateful for. Gratitude is a good way to start and end the day!

I’m looking forward to this week!
  • prgirl39mfp
    @SwimMighty what a great idea! Love GLAD

@MadisonMolly2017 sorry about your arm. You do have a great outlook and attitude.

Today I am grateful that I am alive, healthy, and happy.

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    @SwimMighty what a great idea! Love GLAD

@MadisonMolly2017 sorry about your arm. You do have a great outlook and attitude.

Today I am grateful that I am alive, healthy, and happy.

Thank you @prgirl39mfp
    I realized it’s a critical skill to develop!
  • themedalist
    SwimMighty wrote: »
    Although I do this exercise often, I have been trying to actually write it down each day. It’s called GLAD and I like the positivity of it. Identify one thing for each letter: Grateful for, Learned today, Accomplished today, Delighted me today. 😁😁

GLAD. I love it! Thanks so much for the suggestion, @SwimMighty. I’ve decided to swap my 1 or 2 things I’m grateful for triggered by my nightly yoga session for a full on GLAD reflection. It’s a lovely way to recap the day on a positive note.
  • themedalist
    Hi there my grateful buddies,
    I’ve gotten a lot of ideas from @themedalist ‘s always-inspiring post & links & all of your ideas!

I frequently say out loud what I’m grateful for throughout my day and especially if I’m feeling a little down or out of sorts are struggling with something I’ll say a few things. I’ll have to think about whether I want to write them down now at my dominant arm is broken that might have to wait LOL. I can write with my left arm but it’s SLOW!

Gratefulness is definitely what helped me through the kidney transplant and now through this broken arm. It’s like magic.

I never really resonated with the word grateful. I’ve tried to think of another word that might work better for me but I just don’t worry about it anymore.

I’m grateful for my husband, our son, my family, my donor...

All of the medical inventions & training that people had to do to make the procedures I needed work including in the x-rays of Arm, My future Physical therapist even to the nurses aides and people who keep the hospital room is clean so I don’t get an infection.

It’s endless really what I’m grateful for... i’m grateful that our country is not war, I’m grateful that we have these apps for losing weight and fitness trackers to count steps which make losing weight the easiest ever (in fact I think as a sidenote that pretty soon that statistic that only 5 to 30% of people keep the weight off is going to be inverted. There are just so many people who are successful now.

I’m grateful for having a pretty happy natural biochemistry. I am grateful that I can keep things in perspective.

I’m grateful that I’ve been given a second chance! ♥️

A lovely post, @MadisonMolly2017. I’m so happy to hear that you received a kidney transplant.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    SwimMighty wrote: »
    Although I do this exercise often, I have been trying to actually write it down each day. It’s called GLAD and I like the positivity of it. Identify one thing for each letter: Grateful for, Learned today, Accomplished today, Delighted me today. 😁😁

@SwimMighty I really like GLAD! Once you think about what you’ve learned, accomplished, and were delighted with, how could you not be grateful!?!

@themedalist This is a special group. I’m grateful for that.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Just seeing this. I've been sick since Monday so haven't really been logging on. I will look at the references tomorrow, as I love this topic!

I have a jar called my "Smile" jar where I put post-it notes with things that made me feel happy that day and pull them out on New Year's Eve. I also write 5 things I'm grateful for at the end of each day in my Gratitude Journal. I've been slacking on the Smile Jar but I very rarely miss an evening of gratitude journaling.

I'm grateful for this group....and I'm very grateful for you, @themedalist ! xoxo

@SwimMighty I love the GLAD idea! What a great way to wind down a day!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    9/13 today.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Today I am grateful for opportunities and blessings. I was able to go to a job fair this week and my daughter found a job.