Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited November 2018 in Social Groups
9a3p1njjvwnh.jpg

Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: This October I will...

Happy October!

It's a brand new month which means it's time to choose a new healthy habit we each want to work on this month. What for you needs some focused attention? What's been slipping a bit that needs a firm grasp? Or, alternatively, what's been going pretty well that with a little more oomph behind it, might become a shiny new habit?

Think small. What can you do in 5 to 20 minutes a day? Repetition is the key to all habits and small repetitions are the most likely to succeed and become habits because they don't require much motivation or time.

And if you made some headway on your goal for September, but it's not quite there yet, roll it over into October!

Try to frame your goal along these lines:
  • My goal for this month (Maybe phrase it as: This October I will...")
  • The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal
  • How often you’ll be taking these actions (daily is best if possible)
  • What help do you need from us?
  • What does success look like to you at the end of October?

This Month’s Challenge: Please post one goal that you have for yourself this month. Be specific and identify the action steps that you’ll be taking to accomplish your goal. Don’t select something you think you should do, but really don’t want to do. Habits are much more likely to stick if you choose something you want to do.

Let’s get to it! What are you going to accomplish in October?

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    emok5f7r5rmx.png

And it's Move It Monday! Please post your Monday workouts here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge

• Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My goal for October is to continue going to my workout classes every morning. And also to sign up for and complete the healthy living challenge that my gym is doing this month.

This October I will Sign up for and complete my gyms challenge this month
    The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal: Set reminders to do the task each day.
    How often? Everyday
    What help do you need from us? Just ask how I'm doing. Cheer Me on.
    What does success look like to you at the end of October? I will have gone to classes everyday and will have done my gyms healthy living challenge everyday.

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,803 Member
    Options
    This October I will continue my daily yoga practice. I really want to make this a habit that sticks. Also, I will do the 30 day Posture Makeover

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal - turn on Youtube and take out mat after dinner

I'll do this every day

Give me a place to report and be accountable

Success will be greater flexibility and better balance. I have noticed from my first month of daily yoga practice that my child's pose is much better (I'm more flexible). That didn't really happen with 3 times per week when I've done it regularly in the past.

I would also like to do this 30 day posture makeover, but I'm not ready to start as I haven't been able to get the app for my device. I did however, go through one video on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJRSiUpCE2gGHrTcOrKhLg
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Wow!! October already~ I love it

This October I will go back to basics: Walking every day with one day of rest. 4 miles minimum. Keep my food intake in check.

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal: Walk everyday, make sure I get ready for my day as soon as I get up. Walk early and hit my 10,000 step goal. Make sure I am eating right, minding my portions, measuring and weighing every morsel.

What help do you need from us? Support! Thank you!

What does success look like to you at the end of October? Winning my walking challenges, seeing the scale go down, feeling better and not bloated.

Good luck everyone!
  • Heidijens123
    Options
    My goal for October is to continue going to my workout classes every morning. And also to sign up for and complete the healthy living challenge that my gym is doing this month.

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal: Set reminders to do the task each day.
    How often? Everyday
    What does success look like to you at the end of October? I will have gone to classes everyday and will have done my gyms healthy living challenge everyday.

Got my class done this morning and got signed up and through the first day of the challenge.
  • themedalist
    edited October 2018
    Options

How often? Everyday

Got my class done this morning and got signed up and through the first day of the challenge.

Yay! :)
  • mikaila96
    mikaila96 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @themedalist thanks for the encouragement! Off to a rough start though- day one and my bad hip is acting up so might be downgrading to gentle walks for a little while trying to increase mobility without wanting to rip my leg off. But I’ll do it in the campus gym, so it counts right ;-) Believe it or not, I’m 22 with all these issues (blech).
  • birgitwebster
    birgitwebster Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This October I will focus on myself and getting healthy while still having fun.

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal: log all food and exercise, walk 60 min per day

How often? every day

What help do you need from us? support

What does success look like to you at the end of October? feeling and looking healthier
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @mikaila96 Hugs. You are here and that matters. Do what you can. Is better than nothing.

@birgitwebster we have similar goals!! We can do this! I know we can!

@MadisonMolly2017 hope all goes well. Please keep us posted when you can.

@Heidijens123 Hooray! Great start!

@77tes Good luck! Sounds like a great goal!

@themedalist Can't wait to see the diary. Love the word "robust"!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Great start for me so far. 5 miles yesterday and today I have already walked 2. I am concentrating on my food. Yesterday husband took me to our favorite Puerto Rican restaurant and of course the meal was over 1200 cals. That was the only meal I had. I made sure I added a small salad. I figured if I ate I the rest of the day I was just pushing food down and not really hungry. So I drank tons of water. I logged it, all of it on my diary. Better choices the rest of the week.
  • clynns54
    clynns54 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This October I will log my food every day
  • Heidijens123
    Options
    Made it to class again today and got today's challenge stuff done. :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This October, I will...take a walk every day.

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal:
    • Set out comfortable pair of walking shoes
    • Set out walking clothes
    • Keep FitBit charged
    • Schedule my walk at the same time each day...6:00 p.m.?
    How often you’ll be taking these actions (daily is best if possible): Daily, but must take into account that I am still on medical leave for a few more weeks with restrictions. My ultimate goal, probably not by end of October though, is to walk before I go to work each morning and again after dinner 6/7 days per week.

What help do you need from us? Just be your normal supportive selves! :smile:

What does success look like to you at the end of October? 26/31 days of walking (allowing for rest days and weather)
  • K9sSilverWolf
    K9sSilverWolf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This October I will eat healthier foods

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal: Plan ahead meals and not wait until the last minute.

What help do you need from us? The encouragement you always give....and maybe a slap or two as a reminder. :D