Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    10/13 active hours today.
  • SwimMighty
    SwimMighty Posts: 38 Member
    Options

How are you doing, @SwimMighty? You've got a great goal and good stepping stones to your goal.

If you like carrot cake, this recipe is my family's favorite. Baked carrot "cake" oatmeal. Not a lot of added sugar.

https://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/19/heavenly-carrot-cake-baked-oatmeal/

@themedalist
    Good week so far and thanks! No vertigo on the flights down, so yaaaaayyyy!
    Thanks so much for that recipe, because OMG carrot cake is one of those things that my husband and I both love. And a typical desert if we eat out. I miss it and can’t wait to try this recipe.
    Hope all is super in your neck of the woods. Thanks for being you. 😃😃
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Hi! I FINALLY figured out the one habit that I will focus on in October. I just need to move more throughout the day. I use HabitBull to track my activities. The habit that is most helpful to moving towards that goal is getting 8/13 hours of 250 steps each hour. I checked into the "250 steps per hour" info on Fitbit and found there is more information that is tracked every day, such as percentages of active time and stationary time, and also hours of stationary time per day and 30 day average. I will use those stats to help monitor progress. If I meet my current goal of getting 8 hours per day, it will be an improvement over previous months.

The small actions I will take to accomplish my goal: Set notifications to get up each hour between 8 AM and 9 PM. I will post here how I did at the end of the day (or the following day).

How often for the actions: Setting notification 13 times a day. Posting how I did once a day.

What help I need: All of your posts about how you're doing are motivational, so I'd love to hear about your days. We may all have different goals, but we're all in this together!

Success will look like: I will have a "dot" for at least 8/13 active hours on HabitBull to show I achieved my goal that day through the month of October. So far I have 9 days filled and one blank one because I lost my fitbit one day. (Ya, a need a new band! One day I dug it out of the washer before I shut the lid. Oh and the screen has a huge crack in it. Maybe it's just time for a new Fitbit!! :)

Better to post this late than never, I guess.

Well, I just LOVE this!! Great goal for October @nebslp and a rock solid strategy for achieving your goal. Small steps done throughout the day (literally and figuratively!) will have a big impact on your health!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great goals @nebslp . I use to have Fitbit and that was one of my favorite settings. Good luck.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Great goals @nebslp . I use to have Fitbit and that was one of my favorite settings. Good luck.

@nebslp I use this setting as well on my FitBit. Good luck!
  • nebslp
    Options
    Thanks for the comments I got to my goal post (haha...did you see what I just did?!? I amuse myself more than others sometimes😂)

@PackerFanInGB You are doing amazingly well for just having surgery recently. I understand your excitement about being able to walk without pain as I had bilateral knee replacements 11 years ago and can still remember the pain I had before that. You'll probably just keep feeling better and better as time goes by. Hope so!
  • themedalist
    Options
    SwimMighty wrote: »

How are you doing, @SwimMighty? You've got a great goal and good stepping stones to your goal.

If you like carrot cake, this recipe is my family's favorite. Baked carrot "cake" oatmeal. Not a lot of added sugar.

https://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/19/heavenly-carrot-cake-baked-oatmeal/

@themedalist
    Good week so far and thanks! No vertigo on the flights down, so yaaaaayyyy!
    Thanks so much for that recipe, because OMG carrot cake is one of those things that my husband and I both love. And a typical desert if we eat out. I miss it and can’t wait to try this recipe.
    Hope all is super in your neck of the woods. Thanks for being you. 😃😃

I’m so glad you like carrot cake, @SwimMighty! This recipe is truly a standout. Easy to assemble in about five minutes (I cook the shredded carrots in the microwave for a couple of minutes to soften them a bit), it’s fairly low in sugar, and the oatmeal keeps me full for hours. Personally, I like to let it sit in the pan for several hours or even overnight before baking to “set up” and let the oatmeal absorb the milk. Sadly, no cream frosting but life has compromises, right? A doll up of vanilla yogurt is a decent stand-in.

I hope you like it! And congrats on the no vertigo!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Good morning! Looks like I forgot to "star" this discussion so it was not showing up in my Favorites! Looks like everyone is doing well.

So far, I have met my goal of walking every day! Even on the rainy days, I have waited for small breaks in the rain and gone. We rescued a dog a few weeks ago, and she keeps me on task and has been so good for me health-wise as well as emotionallyl just a little sweetie pie. (She likes hugs, and so do I... :wink: )

So far I have reached a mile for each walk except yesterday because I was trying to beat the rain home. I know that is not very far, but considering I haven't been able to walk that far for 7 years due to hip pain, I'm pretty pumped up about it! LOL!

10/1: :smile:
    10/2: :smile:
    10/3: :smile:
    10/4: :smile:
    10/5: :smile:
    10/6: :smile:
    10/7: :smile:
    10/8: :smile:
    10/9: :smile:
    10/10: :smile: (Only 0.66 mile though because of rain)

Have a beautiful brand new day everyone!

This is fantastic, @PackerFanInGB. Being able to walk without hip pain for the first time in 7 years must make the walks especially joyful! I think movement like walking helps the body heal after surgery. You are doing so well!
  • nebslp
    Options
    13/13 hours today.
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    13/13 hours today.

Excellent!
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This is my check in after one week. My targeted habit was to log food consistently and accurately, trying to do it in real time rather that waiting to end of day. It went well. A few days mid week were challenging as I had work travel but I was able to do it most of the time. The positive effect was that I paid more attention to my calorie target and the type of food I was eating. For the travel and dinners out, I was better able to avoid the desserts and extra glasses of wine. Habit and consistency really do seem to work for me. Am returning home and looking forward to getting back to my routine. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • SwimMighty
    Options
    So I only made it to 2 classes last week. Monday when I hurt my shoulder and Thursday sense it was step aerobics so I didn't have to worry about aggravating my shoulder.
    I did get all the logging done for my gyms health challenge this month.
    My eating this weekend is not going well as I'm spending the weekend at the nursing home with my mom as she is not doing well and I'm just eating whatever others bring for me, which I am very grateful they are doing.

@Heidijens123 : sorry you’re injured and hope your mom is doing better. I’m glad you’re getting some workouts in, even if not ideal. Anything is better than nothing. Anyhow, sending energy to you and your mom, you’re in my prayers.
  • SwimMighty
    Options
    My 2 week check in: I’m doing really well with the diet goals, exercise, sleep, etc. but my good friend Vertigo has been coming to visit. Thursday was bad, couple of attacks, and felt like crap into Friday morning. Luckily, it got better thru the day and I made it home from Mexico with no issues. Today was another off day for me, no vertigo but the weird woozy feeling, bad headache, and ear issues today. I took it easy today, stayed home and fit in a few chores between naps. I really go from one extreme to the other (yesterday was great, hard workout, got a bunch done). When I do have a good day, I go at it hard, but now I’m wondering if I’m overdoing it, need to throttle back and pace myself better. It seems like a pattern of a super great day is being followed by a crash. I have a visit with the neurotologist this week.... good question for him.
    Hope you’re all cranking on your goals this month! Woot!
  • nebslp
    Options
    I haven't posted my hours since Thursday, so I'll do them all tonight.
    Friday: 11/13 hours
    Sat: 9/13 hours
    today: 8/13 hours.
    Seems to be going backwards but I'm still in my goal range. I'll step it back up tomorrow.
  • nebslp
    Options
    So I only made it to 2 classes last week. Monday when I hurt my shoulder and Thursday sense it was step aerobics so I didn't have to worry about aggravating my shoulder.
    I did get all the logging done for my gyms health challenge this month.
    My eating this weekend is not going well as I'm spending the weekend at the nursing home with my mom as she is not doing well and I'm just eating whatever others bring for me, which I am very grateful they are doing.

I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well. That is very stressful so I'm glad others are thinking of you and making sure you're getting some nutrition even if it's not exactly what you would have on your own. Also, it's good you're taking care of your shoulder. I hope it won't be long until your back to 100%. Take care.