low carb diet questions

Options
tanyanie11
tanyanie11 Posts: 45 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
how long have you been on a low carb diet?

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost?

how many carbs do you eat a day?

how much protein and fat do you eat?

do you exercise? how many times a week?

if so, how many calories do you usually burn?

have you noticed any changes in yourself?

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for about 13 months, was LCHF prior to that, probably for a couple years.

None really...I will gain/lose a few pounds at a time trying to put on some muscle and shed some fat, but over time my weight has remained 150 +/- 5

my goal is 88 on lifting days and 30 on non-lifting days

protein goal is 154, I don't really pay attention to fat

every day, usually 2-3 times a day...usually combat in the morning, walking at lunch, and strength training or pilates or yoga in the evening

I don't know, I don't key exercise, I have already factored that into my calorie goal, so even when I do key it I set it to 1 calorie

No migraines, body fat has gone from 25-26% down to 17-18% over the course of the last 2 years

Usually if I'm going to splurge on a weekend then I just bank calories during the week. I don't track or worry about carbs for a few occasions each year, but generally only one day at a time, after several days of high carb I will have migraines again and it's totally not worth it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    how long have you been on a low carb diet? 4 months

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost? 208 22 pounds

how many carbs do you eat a day? about 50

how much protein and fat do you eat? whatever comes my way, I don't log or count

do you exercise? how many times a week? about 5 times

if so, how many calories do you usually burn? about 800 or so

have you noticed any changes in yourself? Beer gut is almost gone, feel great, don't crave food

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much? Never cheat other than having a craft beer or four. Much less than before keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Most of the last 3.5 years, The first year or two was mostly under 20g, the third year was higher but I regained some weight and felt poorly. The last six months have been almost zer carbs.

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost?.
    Around 190 (at 5'8"). I was down to the low 150s. Got back to the 170s. Now I'm around 155-160

Usually just incidental carbs in meat, dairy and eggs. <5g

Around 1200-2500 kcal worth. I'm guessing my protein is around 25%.

Not regularly. It depends on my joints. I had some Halloween candy and I am paying for it with pain.

Whatever is burned in hiking or playing basketball (30-60 min)

Better health, less pain, better hair, clearer thinking, better energy, steadier blood glucose, better BP, better mood.

I try not to go off plan (higher carb) but it seems to happen every few months. It it happens too often I get derailed and my health suffers. I let my calories go up and down by a lot. It all evens out if I stay on plan. If I eat higher carb and let my calories swing up and down, I gain weight - I must have higher swings with more carbs.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    how long have you been on a low carb diet? 5 weeks (not keto, per se, but low carb in general

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost? 268, down 15 so far

how many carbs do you eat a day? between 50-100 daily. I try to keep my weekly average to 70-80. this is NOT net carbs - just actual carbs.

how much protein and fat do you eat? I'm usually at 55% fat, 25% protein, with the remaining 20% as carbs

do you exercise? how many times a week? only 1-2x a week at the moment, but will up this during the winter

if so, how many calories do you usually burn? only 250-300 per session

have you noticed any changes in yourself? not yet. still early days.

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much? yes, the 3-4 days leading up to my monthly, I allowed myself to eat carbs and stopped counting calories. then i was right back to counting everything.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    how long have you been on a low carb diet? Couple of years low carb but struggled so 2 years keto now.

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost? Around 125 and I now weigh around 112, but I went to this WOE for health reasons more than weight.

how many carbs do you eat a day? I try to stay at 24 total carbs or less per day.

how much protein and fat do you eat? Around 75% fat to 20% protein.

do you exercise? how many times a week? Yes. Seven days a week, on my rest days it may only be walking.

if so, how many calories do you usually burn? Not sure as I don't pay much attention to that.

have you noticed any changes in yourself? Not hungry all the time! More energy, skin/hair super soft, lower blood pressure, better mood, and more.

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much? Not so far. :)
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    3 months on Keto - tracking calories in and out - max 2000 calories a day and intermediate fasting for the last month

started at 390lbs and have lost 65lbs so far - goal is to lose another 90lbs

goal is <20 but usually ends up between 25 and 35

try for 55% fat 40% protein and 5% carbs - but honestly I really only pay attention to the carbs - I have yet to reach my 2000 daily calorie limit.

Was swimming for 45 minutes every day for the first month and a half, but weather is prohibiting that now - trying for 3 times a week at the gym - basic weight lifting and elliptical work (3 miles or 45 min)

I use the MFP weekly report to track calories in and out and exercise minutes - so over the last 3 months average calories burned per week is at 3,000 at 225 minutes (you can divide by 7 for daily) - but the last 3 weeks is closer to 1500 for the weekly average. Over the 3 months highest calories burned in a week was just at 5000, lowest was at 600.

Yes - no longer snore at night, BP medicine has been reduced to lowest amount and will probably be stopped with the next dr visit - no longer prediabetic - lost 12 inches around my waist - just overall feel better - much more aware of what and how much I am eating

No planned cheat days every once in a while something will throw me off with the carbs when I could not check with MFP app. Basic keto diet, no more than 2000 calories a day with intermediate fasting. Eating more chicken, fish and raw spinach. Already was an egg fan so just increased egg intake a bit.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I prefer just low carb (sans diet). 6+ years

lost 80+ pounds within the first year and was within normal weight range.. maintained for several years then bounced around a few pounds and landed up a few pounds when I played around with IF last year :(. Didn’t need to lose but tried it thinking about my risk of diabetes

how many carbs do you eat a day? 100ish

how much protein and fat do you eat? Really don’t measure

do you exercise? how many times a week? Yes , some sort each day

if so, how many calories do you usually burn? Mfp says 400+ but I think it overestimates

have you noticed any changes in yourself? Cuter clothes .. just kidding Back then I remember thinking I’m never hungry but realizing yes I do get hungry but I think it maybe normal hungry not stand-and-look-through-the-refrigerator-cause-I might-starve-to-death-without-something-now hungry

do you have cheat days? No. carbs make me hungry and feel like I’m starving soon after I eat too many
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've been low carb for over 5 years and varied my amounts from just over 100 down to 20 over the years basically a year at a time of different levels.

I lost 60 pounds in 2013-2014 via a low carb calorie deficit and light exercise.

I'm rethinking things. I had a heart attack Sunday. I just got out of the hospital today. Cholesterol is ok though. :);) I'm 64 yo and female. I guess diet can't fix everything but no harm in trying.

(((HUGS))) @kpk54 Yikes! How scary. :( I hope you have a speedy and smooth recovery!
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    how long have you been on a low carb diet? Since June 28th of this year.

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost? Weighed 280 and I've lost 65 pounds so far.

how many carbs do you eat a day? Try to keep it under 20 net carbs a day. Occasionally I go over but not my much.

how much protein and fat do you eat? It varies day to day. Some days it's more fat, other days it's more protein.

do you exercise? how many times a week? Rarely. I'm a chronic pain person with mobility issues so exercise is limited to when I'm feeling well which isn't that often.

have you noticed any changes in yourself? I'm never hungry, most of my joint inflammation is gone, my migraines are less frequent, and I'm wearing pants sizes from 20 years ago.

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much? I had a cheat day yesterday because Halloween. And today I felt wretched because of it. I had some small Cuban sandwiches, Reece's peanut butter cups, and a Turkey & Bacon sandwich. A bit over 2200 calories for the whole day yesterday and this morning my hands and other joints were red and inflamed.
  • SenchaJill
    SenchaJill Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 Oh my! I’m glad you came through that and are in recovery. Very scary indeed. I’ve (quietly) followed your posts and have found great inspiration from you. Best wishes in your healing.

I began eating low carb in September 2017, and added high fat in October 2017. I started at 213, and have lost 65 pounds and have about 15 more to lose.

I aim for <40 net grams of carbs.

Around 60 grams of protein, but often go over that.

Yes, almost daily - walking, some jogging, occasional strength training

Around 500-700 calories

Clearer mind, better/easier mobility, fun clothes, better posture (ha!), less insanity around food, much less joint pain, fewer urges to eat, stable appetite and eating patterns, and generally happier!

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much?[/quote]
    No cheat days as of yet as I have no interest to step on the crazy food train again. That said, I have very occasionally “carbed up,” as in added a sweet potato or a couple fingerling potatoes to a meal.
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    tanyanie11 wrote: »

Keto for 7 months

I weighed 300 lbs I have lost 91 lbs

I try to eat 25-30 grams of carbs maximum. Occasionally I have more but that is only when eating more total calories. I try to avg 1900-2000 per day. Sometimes while traveling for work I eat up to 3000 per day

I try to stay around 60-70% fat and 30-35% protein while staying around 3-6% carbs. Not net carbs. I only count actual carbs.

I have not exercised one time since beginning this diet. Or I should say transitioning into this lifestyle.

Changes in my self. Yes. Lots. Way more energy. Less tired. More self confident.

Cheat maybe 1-2 times per month but always make sure to over eat on those days so the macros can stay close to correct. I actually find it helpful while in a minor plateau, follows with another big loss over the next week or so.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    May 20 2018 - Present

140 (-18lbs)

50-70ish

20-25% protein - 50%+ for fat

Yes, but only weights and physical therapy 1-3 times a week. Some walking, but no real cardio.

Average 1600 total per day.

not overweight anymore. healthier eating habits, more veggies less junk. healthier = happier

Yes. Usually just a meal for a very special occasion or just one small cheat treat every couple weeks or so. I did have one cheat weekend though with several meals/treats.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    how long have you been on a low carb diet? 10 months

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost? I'm 5'11", I started at 215, and I've lost a bit over 30 pounds. I have like 8 pounds to go until I reach a "normal" BMI.

how many carbs do you eat a day? About 25 net carbs.

how much protein and fat do you eat? I aim for the ratio of 75% calories from fat, 20% from protein, 5% from carbs.

do you exercise? how many times a week? Only sporadically, although this week I have been thinking about how to start exercising regularly.

if so, how many calories do you usually burn? When I do exercise, it's probably gentle exercise for like 30 minutes.

have you noticed any changes in yourself? MY KNEES DON'T HURT ANY MORE! I can squat down low with no pain. I also have noticed that I have minimal food cravings, and I'm not as hungry any more. Clothes fit better. Even though I'm not exercising regularly, I am able to exercise for longer when I exercise.

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much? Occasionally, usually tied to travel or a very special occasion. Every couple of months. Sometimes it's just one meal, sometimes it's over the course of a weekend/ week. I won't go all-out at every meal; I'll try to stick to keto as closely as I can for a meal or two during that day, but then I'll have a meal with more carbs, too, or maybe have an off-plan appetizer with a keto friendly meal. I do notice there's less desire to "cheat" than before. I thought I wanted some maple cotton candy at a fair, but I took one sample bite and decided I really didn't want any more than that! Then once I get home, I'll fast for 24 hours or at least get RIGHT back on plan.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    how long have you been on a low carb diet? Since January 1.

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost? I started around 153 and my low-tide mark is 122.9. I’m currently resting around 125.

how many carbs do you eat a day? Usually somewhere in the 60’s, with net carbs in the 30’s or 40’s.

how much protein and fat do you eat? My protein averages around 90-100g, with some pretty sizable swings in either direction depending on the day. Fat makes up the rest of my intake.

do you exercise? how many times a week? I teach fitness classes and own dogs, so I’m very active without doing a ton of “real” exercise. I lift once a week, and walking plus the demos I do for classes (12/week or more) takes care of the rest.

if so, how many calories do you usually burn? I usually end up around 2100-2200 in total, but I don’t really look at burn for specific activities.

have you noticed any changes in yourself? I have a healthy relationship with food for the first time in my life. I enjoy it, but I don’t have any emotional stake in what I eat or how much. It’s fuel. I’ve binged pretty much non-stop since I was 11 or so, and that’s huge for me.

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much? I’ve tried a few different versions of cheat days—usually I do a weekend once a month. Sometimes it’s longer or shorter or more frequent, but I always feel uncomfortable and out of control and look forward to getting back into ketosis as soon as it’s over. In the last few months I’ve noticed that I’m apparently fat adapted and can “cheat” more without going out of ketosis. I can have an actual dessert, like a whole slice of cake, and as long as I take a brisk walk within a couple of hours and don’t go crazy the rest of the day, I won’t switch out. So I’m trying to use that more and do full-on cheat weekends less, because no matter how tame they start off I always wind up making myself feel terrible. A mini candy bar right before I teach a spin class and then moving on lets me feel like I’m getting away with something without spiraling.

• lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    how long have you been on a low carb diet? Since Mid April

how much did you weigh when you started and how much have you lost? started at 189, currently 148, 41lbs gone

how many carbs do you eat a day? I have the marco set at 10% so it varies (off 1450 daily calorie goal), can be as low as 15, usually not more than 40

how much protein and fat do you eat? Protein @ 35%, Fat @ 55%, usually hit fat but struggle getting all the protein in

do you exercise? how many times a week? 5-6 days a week, bootcamp and yoga, will be adding in additional running at some point

if so, how many calories do you usually burn? about 150-400 depending on class

have you noticed any changes in yourself? stronger, leaner, less belly bloat

do you have cheat days? what do you eat and how much? not so much cheat days, but went to a couple of weddings since April and have had a bite of cake, or have had fries/chips once or twice.