Starting Gastric Bypass journey

Options
atmdaddy
atmdaddy Posts: 51 Member
Hello,
I'm starting the journey for gastric bypass with initial Dr. visit next week. I would like to know about the first 3-6 months of dieting and exercising and classes. My insurance company requires a 6 month of this.
thanks!

Replies

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group. I didn't have a waiting period for my insurance to cover the surgery. However, I think this is a great time for you to explore the post-surgery guidelines. Post surgery, you'll need to take smaller bites, chew thoroughly, and avoid drinking with meals. Those are good skills to take into surgery with you. You can also start using food scales for portion control. I use my food scales daily and I'm 3.5+ years post-op. Portion size is what helps me maintain the weight loss.

My main exercise pre and post-op is walking. I did join a gym for a few classes they have. I'm not much of a gym person so I just walk. If you don't have one and can buy a Fitbit or other pedometer do so. My Fitbit took me from 2,500 steps to 10,000 per day.

Again, welcome.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    For ever surgeons office and place it’s different, so you may access some of that through your surgeon. I had very specific meal guidelines given by my program and had to get up to 150 min of cardio pre-surgery. But yours could be different ask lots of questions and keep a book with your info handy for post-op!
  • TygerKing
    TygerKing Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also started my 6 month insurance requirements in Nov 2018. Hope it is going well for you and good luck.
  • DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I too had the waiting period, good time to reflect, learn and prepare for the lifestyle changes. I did not have exercise as a requirement but that would have been nice, especially if they paid for the gym. : ) Good luck!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome! I , also, did not have any required waiting period prior to my surgery. Looking back I think it could have been a good thing to have the opportunity to wrap my head around what the changes were going to be like post op.

The biggest learning curve is what’s up there between your ears and the relationship you have with food. It will need to change forever to be a forever success. I can’t say that enough, I don’t think , because it all comes down to that in the end. If that doesn’t change, for life, you won’t be able to maintain the weight loss.

Someone above me mentioned learning to not drink while drinking during the first six months post op. In my opinion we shouldn’t drink liquids while eating ever again. The rationale: the liquids wash the food out of the pouch too quickly then we don’t feel like we’ve eaten because the pouch is empty. I chose to not drink until at least 30 minutes after any food.

Learn to chew your food, and slow down while eating. Even set a timer if you need to.

I haven’t ever had the money to invest in gym membership. And I’ve never wanted a Fit Bit (or any other tracker like it). I’ve found that my phone and MFP together will count my steps and that’s enough for me since it’s with me all the time anyway. So, there is other options if you don’t have the money, or just don’t want to spend.

It’s great that you’ve joined us here! I hope we can be a small part of your journey to health!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Our programme is part of our provincial healthcare. After Dr. referral we attend a group orientation and it's our choice if we choose to proceed. We have a series of appointments with nurse, dietitian and social worker and are introduced to our new dietary requirements and lifestyle. We're expected to follow their guidelines in order to proceed. Our length of time through this process is different for everybody. Some are put on hold for other medical issues or inability to embrace the necessary changes, some sail through in 4 or 5 months.
    We also have post op follow up, in my case 5 years, by our bariatric clinics.
    Embrace the changes you're asked to make, maintain food diaries on MFP, add movement and physical activity to your life. Be prepared for "suck it up" moments, you'll have to make choices on what's more important, old habits or a better and longer life.
    Good luck on your journey and keep in mind that the hardest work happens post op.