Living the Lifestyle - Friday November 2

Options
savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for November below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Thursday - EliteCoachKal (Kal)
Friday - savignr (Bob)

Today's topic: Reverse binging

We all know about cheat days, weeks, maybe even months, where we go above and beyond our allocated points or calories. Maybe "binge" is too strong a word, but we are knowingly deciding to overeat based on our normal plan.

Looking at the reverse side of that, do you ever "reverse binge"? That is, knowingly drop below your points or calories for some period of time? If so, how long has your reverse binge lasted? Was it effective, or did it just trigger another binge when you stopped?

Alternative question: Nasties Halloween candy.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    "reverse binge" = "restriction" Restriction never works for me. I get too hungry and then I overeat when I finally get a chance to have food.

Alternative question - did you mean nastiest? If so, then it is anything with coconut in it. Blech. It is like chewing dental floss to me.
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Two starting points for my comments below. First, I do all the cooking for DW and two DD's. I plan it out, and try and cover good nutrition guidelines, and show some variety even within the constraints of chicken, beef, pork, and pasta.

Second, DW is traveling this week and next. Given the overall lack of appreciation, I don't normally make a formal meal for just DD's when this is the case. So this week they have things like chicken tenders, pasta, pizza, etc. that would normally be heavy calories for me. Given that I had a terrible October (two birthdays and birthday dinners, party at house and another with friends, and Halloween, leading to a 3 pound weight gain), I am reverse binging this week and likely next.

I've tried to reduce daily calories to about 1600 - 1700 from normal 2000 - 2100. Sandwiches for lunch (whole wheat bread, lean meat), maybe the same for dinner. Fish three nights, broiled (only one in the house that likes it). Dropped 1-1/2 pounds with this approach.

I've done this in the past, and have had no serious repercussions or blow back about over-eating when I stop reverse binging. Most I've done it is a week; this time will probably be two. Hoping for a second successful week.

Alternative question: "Nastiest" (not nasties as above) for me is candy corn, followed closely by Butterfingers. If it is not chocolate, no interest, and it usually is only good, dark chocolate that gets my attention.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,990 Member
    Options
    Don't think I conciously do reverse binging.

Alt. question: and kind of sour things.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    One of the things I got from counting points- I made sure I was getting all the food I was entitled to. Most weeks I ate every point of every kind.

Alternative: all Halloween candy is nasty.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    XLNT question Bob. I have a few times cut back slightly the next day. Mostly I don't do anything different the next day except to get back on program. So maybe in the past for one meal type of thing.
    No Halloween at our house in mostly kidless neighborhood so no candy good or bad.
  • EliteCoachKal
    EliteCoachKal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Back when I lived on the weight roller coaster I would frequently try something extreme in order to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Sometimes going up to 60 days on a VLCD. I would sometimes lose quite a bit, but inevitably lead it would lead to a big backslide and I'd gain everything back.

More recently I've begun incorporating fasting into my routine. Only eating in an eight-hour window most days, doing most of my workouts fasted, and occasionally (twice a month or so) completely fasting for 24-36 hours. I've found these fasting practices to be very effective and have no trouble breaking a fast and getting right back on my normal track.

The difference between then and now? Well, I think my mindset is the biggest thing, but also I think a shorter 'reverse binge' is easier to incorporate into a sustainable program.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,968 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @savignr... Bob good and timely topic for me since I had gone the other way in recent months sometimes knowingly overeating and sometimes not. Though sometimes I just didn't realize it but certainly overeating. So my eating habits have been the topic of a couple of threads here lately and what I've done since this Wednesday might be considered reverse benging but what I prefer to call it is slowing down or pushing back or cutting back, call it what you wish but I have been shrinking my stomach.

Once I cut back on portions as I've been doing since Wednesday it helps me be a whole lost less hungry than before. Though it didn't show up on the scales this Friday but given 10 days with this behavior and I'm pretty sure it will.

I gotta concentrate on drinking more water and get in the minimum of 8-10
    8oz glasses a day.

Bonus question/ Most any kind of hard candy tops the list for me with Tootsie Rolls coming in a close 2nd.

SW 400.8
    CW 349.6 🙂
    1st 340.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

51.2 lbs Total Loss
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    ...do you ever "reverse binge"? That is, knowingly drop below your points or calories for some period of time? If so, how long has your reverse binge lasted? Was it effective, or did it just trigger another binge when you stopped?

I haven't intentionally done this for any period of time, either when losing or now in maintenance mode (where I accept a couple / few pound fluctuations). WW used to emphasize the importance of meeting the minimum number of points in order to lose the weight. How real the assertion is that if you don't eat the minimum, you're likely not to lose, I really don't know but it was definitely stressed at our meetings.

Alternative question: Nasties Halloween candy.

The stuff you eat too much of regret the next day. Fortunately, didn't subject myself to this condition this year. In past years though...whole different story.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    In the remote past I did this. It works for about two days before I go over the edge and the rebound is never pretty.

OTOH, there are days where I’m sufficiently distracted that I don’t eat nearly what “I’m entitled to”. Interestingly, it turns out the ‘what’ of my eating on those days is often not nearly as good a choice. For example, last week I was at a conference with an exhibit hall. Every exhibitor, it seems, now has a candy dish at their booth, some with really yummy options, so I find myself nibbling throughout the day and never quite making it to a meal. And I must have been way under on calories because I lost two+ pounds.

Nastiest candy: Anything with peanuts. ANYTHING. Chocolate Mint takes a distant second on the nasty list (although I still find it inedible, it doesn’t make me gag).

OTOH, I will take anybody’s leftover candy corn. Sad but true.