Difficulty with Keto...

Options
I'm having trouble with consuming my recommended fat intake without going over my carb limit. Any advice?

Also, I lost 8lbs of water weight when I first started keto, but nothing since then. The strips show I am in ketosis, but I'm concerned that I am still doing something wrong. Please help!

Replies

• Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm having trouble with consuming my recommended fat intake without going over my carb limit. Any advice?

Also, I lost 8lbs of water weight when I first started keto, but nothing since then. The strips show I am in ketosis, but I'm concerned that I am still doing something wrong. Please help!

In order to get some help, you will need to make your diary open to public so people can see what you are eating and give you pointers. I am new at this, but I am sure the pros will need to look at the diary... ;)
  • chrisjthomas721
    chrisjthomas721 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Done. Diary is public. Thanks for the suggestion @Everyonelies
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    when you say "recommended fat intake" are you referring to hitting what the macros tell you to get as your upper limit? or are you referring to a minimal value? fat & carbs are max; protein is a desired minimum (hard to hit sometimes).
    at least that is how i have been suggested to look at it (YMMV)
  • chrisjthomas721
    Options
    @zanyterp I am trying to hit the recommended macros that MFP has given me. I am trying to reach those numbers everyday, but having truble doing so AND keeping under my carb and calorie limit.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, then don't worry about hitting a minimum of fat.

Get your minimum on protein.

Don't go over your carbs.

Don't worry about fat, in theory you have plenty already hanging around for your body to consume.
  • chrisjthomas721
    Options
    @tcunbeliever So don't focus on fat intake, primarily protein? Doesn't that defeat the premise of the diet? High fat, moderate protein?
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    The original keto diet was for epileptic children. In order to ensure they had enough nutrition to grow normally and minimize impact to bone density, high fat was necessary to get sufficient calories and maintain ketone production for seizure control.

When using keto for weight loss, you should have sufficient fat stores and you want to use stored fat to produce ketones more than using excess consumed fat.
  • chrisjthomas721
    Options
    @tcunbeliever So more chicken and less butter? Wanna check out my diary and tell me where I'm going wrong? I am at about 188lbs right now and my goal is 165lbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    The days you have logged look about 200 cal over...so, keeping the calories to goal...and logging every day should help.

Are you having hunger issues?
  • chrisjthomas721
    Options
    @tcunbeliever A few days per week I slightly exceed my calorie goal, but not by a lot. I probably wouldn't exceed it if I wasn't trying to consume high fat. I jave also been told that too Mich protein can kick me out of ketosis. Is that true?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever A few days per week I slightly exceed my calorie goal, but not by a lot. I probably wouldn't exceed it if I wasn't trying to consume high fat. I jave also been told that too Mich protein can kick me out of ketosis. Is that true?

Only if you are eating tons of protein - I routinely consume upwards of 150g a day and have no issues staying in ketosis.
  • chrisjthomas721
    Options
    @tcunbeliever @ccrdragon Ok, then I will focus on protein, salt, and water and let my body burn its own fat rather than consuming additional fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for getting enough protein is to get roughly the same amount of grams of fat and protein. Maybe aim for 120 g of protein and fat.... roughly.

As to your lack of weight loss recently, you said that you lost about 8 lbs of water. That does not all stay gone. My guess is that you regained some water weight (as you replaced your glycogen stores) while you were losing some fat. The scale won't show regaining 2-3 lbs of water if you lost 2-3 lbs of fat at the same time. ;)

And that extra salt may help with appetite. Some symptoms of low electrolytes does feel like hunger. An extra teaspoon of salt (or so) a day can eliminate that quite quick.

Congrats on your success so far! :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever @ccrdragon Ok, then I will focus on protein, salt, and water and let my body burn its own fat rather than consuming additional fat.

This is the strategy that has worked for me. Initially I was focused on the fat, but came to realize that I wanted my body to burn MY fat. So... I meet the protein macro, keep the carbs down and stay well under on the fat if I can. Some days are better than others with all this, but I lost about 40 lbs just counting calories and then switched to keto to lose another 95. I am in maintenance now, and I sticking with the keto because it is easy for me and I like it.

FWIW, my actual consumed macros for today were 57% F, 41% P and 2% C. Logged sodium was 5642 mg. I also liberally salt food and don't try to estimate and log that.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

You are true evidence that being in ketosis does not cause weight loss. Why are you striving to be in ketosis? Migraines? Epilepsy? A consistent calorie deficit is what you need for weight loss. And time. You can tweak your macros as much as you want for satiety and personal food preference but you need to eat at a consistent calorie deficit for weight loss. Over a period of time.

Your food diary is reflective of half arsed logging to me. What did you eat on October 28th and November 4th? And did you really eat only 500 some calories on November 5 and 7? It looks like you have been tracking only since October 15th? 8 pounds in 3 weeks is excellent. Keep at it.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    My current protein goal is 154, but I am pretty happy if I get over 100, so I don't always hit the full amount of my goal.