What kinds of positive effects have you experienced from being on keto?

Options
13»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Never thought this would happen, certainly wasn't planning on any changes in my eye sight but...

My left eye has always only seen some light and motion. I was sitting talking to my husband yesterday and all of a sudden I realized I was seeing, SEEING!!!! the frame of my glasses near that eye. All the details of it. If I shut my right eye, I am able to make out some details like holding my hand up I can see the fingers on it, no movement needed. I know this sounds silly but it has really made me realize I will never eat any other way.

WOW! :o Amazing!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    RAC56, over two years now. I have a theory it is the autophagy from fasting that has done this.

GaleHawkins, my eye dr. just told me I have started to grow them, but they are tiny, by wearing sunglasses to block the UV he said they shouldn't bother me for 10 years or so, maybe with my current WOE they won't, I am now wearing very good sunglasses too when outside. He told me in our state 70% of those 70 and older have them and to the point they need to be removed. Lots of UV here in CO.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @GaleHawkins Have you seen this Low Carb Breckenridge video? It's all on LCHF and keto, and how it affects pain, like that of RA, OA and AS.

https://youtu.be/RDT3CnN29zY
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins Have you seen this Low Carb Breckenridge video? It's all on LCHF and keto, and how it affects pain, like that of RA, OA and AS.

This video is awesome. Thanks

Below is another about cancer that clicked with a lot of things I have read over the past several years about Keto in general.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JBGYRGSpQ44
  • nvmomketo
    edited October 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

This video is awesome. Thanks

Below is another about cancer that clicked with a lot of things I have read over the past several years about Keto in general.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JBGYRGSpQ44

Oh yes! Thanks! I've seen that one. It's hard to watch at points knowing what her family went through with her son. :(

Have you read the Metabolic Approach to Cancer? Or Tripping Over the Truth? Really interesting... not that I'm at all LCHF biased at all. ;)
    https://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Approach-Cancer-Integrating-Bio-Individualized/dp/1603586865

Or Outside the Box Cancer Therapies?

Lately there seems to be a surge of research on treating diseases and chronic problems with diet, and not just with low carb although it seems to be getting the most press. I really like seeing this because I believe that many of our diseases are caused by, or worsened by, the foods we eat - and not just by how much we eat. That was a real minority way of thinking for many years but it seems to be slowly shifting. :)
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This is my second time in ketosis, the last time was 5 years ago. I did it for a few months but hit a plateau. I can't remember how long for but it may have been the PISS. My weight stayed at 99-100 constantly but in hindsight, I was cycling a lot and was probably swapping fat for muscle.

I have decided to commit again, and so far have lost 7kg in 4 weeks but I am ready for the PISS and will carry on. I am through the worst side effects I think; I am feeling mentally clearer, sleeping well and feeling like I have a lot of energy and I don't feel hungry all the time. I am in this for the long run now; it's a WOE that suits me although I do miss some things.

I would like to drop another 8-10kg - I started at 1.08, am at 101 now and would like to get below 95kg by the end of the year. I have a solid build (44" waist, 26" thighs - thanks, cycling) so the recommended 82kg for my height would make me look gaunt.

TL;DR - Lost weight, feel better about myself, feeling mentally clearer, sleeping well. I feel like I have a lot of energy and I don't feel hungry all the time. Keto works!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Post Induction Stalling Syndrome

I have totally never seen that one before, new thing for today learned!
  • Tubbytucka
    Options
    Sorry TC, I should have explained that. Every day's a school day.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.... I was thinkin' What the heck?? PISS???? Now I know.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I think I mentioned this somewhere but here it goes again about my AS fused joints unfusing.

https://umms.org/ummc/health-services/orthopedics/services/spine/patient-guides/ankylosing-spondylitis

"This disease causes stiffness, aching, and pain around the spine and pelvis. The disease can eventually lead to a total fusion of the spine. This occurs when the vertebrae (spinal bones) actually grow together fusing the spine due to calcification of the ligaments and discs between each vertebrae. If the vertebrae fuse together, the spine is robbed of mobility, leaving the vertebrae brittle and vulnerable to fractures."

Today was my triple therapy day of each week. Like few others I am doing an n=1 to see if removing calcium deposits in the coronary arteries is possible as a few MDs claim.

May 2019 will be 2 years since my first Coronary Artery Calcium Scoring test and I plan to retest by then if not before. My score May 2017 was awesome at 9.8 so at least I have a baseline on that number so I will know if my n=1 study is positive or negative for that score.

The MD was concerned about my Vitamin D level of >155 ng in 2017 but not two months ago when it was again >155 ng again because my Magnesium and Calcium labs were normal as the rest of my lab reports as was the case in 2017.

Ultrasound therapy on the back have shown in research studies to increase range of motion in AS patients when exercising so I do that weekly.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26923690

Of course I do Magnesium and Vitamin K2 both MK-4 and MK7 due to elevated D3 levels to try to insure calcium is going into the bones and teeth and out of the wrong places.

What got me started thinking about this n=1 was what I mentioned above about MD claims for lowering coronary artery calcium scores. If calcium can be removed from arteries where it does not belong then why not from other areas where it does not belong.

I had the question would my spine crumb if I 'could' remove the external calcium?

Then I remember a fall that I took in 2013 that was one year prior to going Keto in Oct 2014. I was down in the pasture moving a temporary corral for the the daughter's mini horses by pulling backwards on it when it moved faster than I expected and I fell backwards when the heel of one shoe caught in the tall grass.

I landed on my tail first and then went over backwards in slow motion it seemed because I was holding on to the cattle panels as I pulled them over. I could hear a cracking sound as each vertebral moved for the first time in many years then my head hit with a thud. I screamed in pain for about a long time but finally decided I had to get myself up and try to get to the house since I had left my cell phone at the house.

It was weeks before I could even get on the chiropractors table because of the pain on movement. My general health was in a very poor state prior to this fall.

After I got on Keto full time Oct 2014 I had a lot of clicking in my back when doing my quarter mile daily walk and then a joint here and there would move at the chiropractor's office visits weekly. Then when my Vitamin D level worked up from 22 ng in 2013 to >155 ng starting in 2017 more and more movement started especially after I added the ultrasound treatments.

Since in 2013 my spine did move from bottom to top in that fall it hit me my spine was not actually fused solid like I had thought. Without question today the calcified ligaments were a factor in my spine not wanting to move.

Time will tell but my team of healthcare professionals are amazed with the new spinal movement over the past 6-12 months yet have their own concerns like I do. Being an OD this monkey is on my back because I knew the medical risks of before before heading down this road but it happened so slowly no one thought about it much at first. Now that I am standing more upright and having some upper body rotation ability people who have not seen me in a few years are coming up to me and commenting about me walking faster and more upright which still catches me by surprise.

Keto is very special in my mind. No IBS in 3.5 years, little pain for the past 4 years, A1C of 5.1 and fasting BG well below 100 for the first time I can remember but it had never went over about 115 and I could go on and on but now I stop.

Oh did I say Keto was special to me. :)
  • kaparadis65
    kaparadis65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started keto (ish) and do feel a bit better, seen lower BG levels. Still trying to figure it all out, but so far I like it
  • bluebent1
    bluebent1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did Keto two years ago for only 6 weeks but in that short period of time I noticed:
    -improved mood
    -serious boost in energy
    -my arthritis pains all went away
    -mental clarity
    -lost 20 pounds
    -no gas/bloating
    -no cravings
    -ended up eating way fewer calories than before
    -a much cleaner house (due to the energy boost I guess! lol)

I'm starting Keto again today and committing to 6 weeks and then we'll see. I want to eat this way forever but I've failed at subsequent attempts so my goal for now is 6 weeks. Maybe at that time I'll decide to go for another 6 weeks and keep going until it's a way of life. I know it's the best thing I can do for my mental and physical health.
  • bluebent1
    bluebent1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One more benefit I remembered from the last time I did Keto: No more heartburn! Can't wait for that!
  • Tubbytucka
    Options
    ^^My comment up there should say 44" chest, not waist...

Another bonus is my flatulence has diminished to about 1/10 of what it is if I eat processed carbs.
  • Partysize1
    Partysize1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was in ketosis for about 2.5 years and what was most important to me that I noticed after only a short time was : little to no migraines, more energy, WAY better sleep, never actually had a lethargic time of day, and weight loss. Have diabetes running down the entire side of my moms family and I was fairly overweight and increasing my chances of becoming a diabetic. Keto has now stabilized my blood levels and made me feel great throughout almost my entire ketosis, but have since taken myself out of ketosis. Partly because I was curious how my body would react and partly because I wanted my carbs back! It's only been a few months, but am already back on my way to ketosis! The carb life is not for me anymore
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm at 5 1/2 weeks eating keto, and I noticed much less arthritis pain in my back/hip and shoulder after the first 2 weeks. I was taking at least one B/C Powder daily after being on my feet for an extended time, but I haven't needed one for pain in several weeks. I was told to take a large aspirin daily for the occasional TIAs I suffered up until 1999. I'll have to ask my doctor if I still need to take a daily aspirin. Tubby mentioned flatulence, and before keto, I was beginning to have that problem and attributed it to old age. It's no longer an issue, so I suspect carbs were the real instigator. My mother had a flatulence problem as she aged, maybe due to eating lots of fruit every day. I like not being hungry, too.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @FarmerCarla arthritis pain relief started in a few weeks in my case as well so four years later I am still full time Keto. The proof it works for me is in the keto pudding so to speak. :)

Best of continued success.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    What everyone else said, but it took me almost a year to start having any energy and almost a year and a half to have a good, deep night's sleep. I've been a light sleeper all my life so the change was/is awesome. When I first began keto I noticed that my hair was like silk and my skin got super soft. Some results come quickly, early on, but it's great to know that the longer you eat this way the more pluses you'll see. :)

OMG if I still might be able to look forward to having energy and feeling rested in the morning, I am pretty excited! That would be so amazing.