Food as a "vehicle"?

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
Do or did you ever use one food as a base or "vehicle" to eat another food?

I sometimes think back to the days when I used to load up celery stalks with peanut butter and consider it a healthy snack--which I guess it was compared to some choices but... Bread was made to be buttered, right? Sure. Why not slather it on thick? Sandwiches--they almost speak for themselves--pile it high with all kinds of stuff--capicola, salami, ham, etc.

I don't do nearly as much piling and "transport" of food on food as I used to. How about you?

Replies

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Like Ford or Chevy?? Oh have I used chips or celery to scoop up humus and more? Sure.

I have gotten away from putting "slatherants" on my sandwiches and keep them simple. I am not that fond of mayo anyway. Yes I do much better these days.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,238 Member
    Options
    Chilaquiles and nachos. Many times.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Beer and anything that’s not a fresh fruit or vegetable.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,902 Member
    Options
    french fries and ketchup
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Recently had a bag of celery DW didn’t want it.
    I ate with PB. It’s a tasty snack BUT OMG THE POINTs!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Wow Greg! Chilaquiles looks like a food group to me. YUM.
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    And let's not forget the value of cake...for frosting!
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I always said the reason I could lose weight on Atkins was because without things to put that ‘unlimited’ butter on, there was no point in eating the butter.

True story: my wife was somewhat repulsed by my having discovered that I could use corn Chex much like little mini-crackers which I would then butter and eat. A few years ago we were visiting my brother and SIL. He took out some corn Chex and starting buttering them. My wife was clearly fascinated/appalled by this, and he clearly felt the need to explain. It turns out he had discovered this treat while playing ‘house’ with his 5 yo granddaughter. He would ‘pretend’ he was buttering toast and then just pop them in his mouth. Only then did he realize how ‘tasty’ they were.

Apparently apples don’t fall far from trees. And, they fall in bunches.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,968 Member
    Options
    Very used to doing this. Going out to restaurants my Dad used to butter saltines before the meal arrived. I found myself liking that little trick and started doing it as well. Through the years I've used all kind of snacks to transport another type of goodie. Smores comes to mind as well. I'm sure there are more just stopping with a couple.

SW 400.8
    CW 344.4 🙁 + 1.2 lbs
    1st 340.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

56.4 lbs Total Loss
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    Thanks for your contributions (glad to know I'm not the only one B) ). I remember the first time I heard my WW leader stressing the contributions of BLTs--Bites, Licks and Tastes. This isn't quite that, but certainly related. It all adds up, doesn't it?
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,238 Member
    Options
    podkey wrote: »
    Wow Greg! Chilaquiles looks like a food group to me. YUM.

Utterly delicious!