How do I decide on a race pace?

Options
sheltondq
sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
I have been doing the Hal’s Novice 2 training plan while training for my half marathon on November 10th. I usually run my long runs by feel. When i looked back my long runs are usually about a 12:10min/mile. I can run a solid 12 miles at that pace and still feel great (like I still have energy). So I’m wondering what I should do on race day.

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    The first time you run a new distance it's tough to figure that out. Usually I take results from a previous race and plug them into a race pace calculator and it will spit out a guess for all race distances. The caveat is that it assumes that you've adequately trained for the new distance.

In my experience though the predicted pace is a little too optimistic, particularly for a first time at the distance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I would aim for 12 minute miles or just under, and see how you feel at mile 6, then mile 10 and pick it up if you can.

My first half I just wanted to finish so I didn't consider my pace at all, i just enjoyed myself
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You say that you have run most of your long runs at about a 12:10 pace, but that is only part of the equation. What other types of paces have you run? Speed work? Tempo runs? If you can run 12 miles comfortably at a 12ish pace, then logic would suggest that, with fresh legs from your taper and race day energy, you are capable of running faster than a 12 minute mile for the entire race. But if you haven't done any other running at a faster pace, then I definitely would not start out running any faster than what you are used to. In that case, I would agree with @TavistockToad about heading out at a 12 min mile.
  • sheltondq
    Options
    @Iporter229 I have run some of my 3 and 4 mile runs at 10-10:30 min paces but not much else. My routes are usually pretty hilly so I haven’t incorporated a lot of stuff into my training. This is the first HM I’ve ever trained for. I have done a HM before 2 years ago, but it was a dare that I hadn’t trained for.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Usually you run a race either just prior to starting training or during your training to see what your fitness level currently is. Plug the result into a pace calculator like McMillan and add some because the calculators assume a fairly advanced level of training. Since your HM is in two weeks, it's too late to do that this time, but next time you can try that.

For my first HM, I ran by feel. Most of my races end up more or less being run that way. The first half should feel really easy. If it doesn't, slow down. The next miles should feel moderately hard, like it's work, but you can hold on. The last few miles will feel hard. If you went out too fast in the beginning, they will feel really hard. In my first HM I ended up doing a lot of walking in the last couple of miles, but I still ended up finishing faster than I expected. Later races I had a bit more control in the beginning, but the last miles were still a struggle because I pushed the pace, but I still consistently did better than expected. The energy I get from taper and race day excitement means I have more speed and stamina than I think I have beforehand. For a first race you can and probably should play it safe by going at a conservative pace, but it can be fun to find out what you have in you.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I've found that my half mara race pace, is pretty close to the time I'd do a 10k steady training run in. Being rested and well nourished going into a HM will boost your time significantly compared to the long run you do on a Sunday at the end of a 4 run week (for example)

The guidance above to go out at a pace you are comfortable with and increase later if you feel good is solid advice. Personally, I tend to settle into a pace in the first 3k and hold it there. I'll use my heart rate as a guide to ensure I'm not just getting carried away in the excitement of the event and going out too fast. That's what works for me.

Question: have you been upping the pace for the last few kms of your long run? If so, how has that felt?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Is this your first race of any kind? If not, use your time from that prior race, find a pace calculator online, plug in your race time and get an estimate for your pace for the Half. If this IS your first race, go out at your 12:10 per mile pace and speed up/slow down as you progress through the distance based on how you're feeling. With a first race, it's kinda hit or miss with pacing, but with a half, you'll have plenty of time to figure something out. In any event, you'll score a personal best at the Half. :)
  • sheltondq
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Is this your first race of any kind? If not, use your time from that prior race, find a pace calculator online, plug in your race time and get an estimate for your pace for the Half. If this IS your first race, go out at your 12:10 per mile pace and speed up/slow down as you progress through the distance based on how you're feeling. With a first race, it's kinda hit or miss with pacing, but with a half, you'll have plenty of time to figure something out. In any event, you'll score a personal best at the Half. :)

I kept the 12:10 pace most of the race... I finished with a 2:38:36 official time. I still felt like I had some in the tank to run longer... I’ll keep training so I can try to PR net year. ze0z2cepcvmd.png
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    You did really well. Congratulations! Having that much energy at the end means you were capable of going faster. I think you have it in you to do a huge PR next time if you keep up your training. Next time try a 10k sometime just before or during your training. Run it all out. Then use that to base your race pace on.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    sheltondq wrote: »

I kept the 12:10 pace most of the race... I finished with a 2:38:36 official time. I still felt like I had some in the tank to run longer... I’ll keep training so I can try to PR net year. ze0z2cepcvmd.png

Great job! You sped up at the end, too! Congratulations on your first half!!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @sheltondq great race! You did an awesome job on keeping your pace consistent. With this experience you'll do even better next time!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    sheltondq wrote: »

Congratulations on your well run race. Now you have a basis for calculating paces for this and other distances. Keep on keeping on,