Motivate Me

Options
mor72
mor72 Posts: 83 Member
edited November 2018 in Social Groups
Ok here we go i so need motivation. I wake up in the morning and start out great come around lunch and i start craving bad food and that just carrying on rest of the day, by the end of the day i will have eaten all sort of food. I got 2 kids who does like their carbs and i wouldn't stop them having them, both fit and healthy,hence i will end eating their carbs, like toast and butter or rice and pasta ect. I was thinking if i can just stick to veg, meat, eggs, fruit, cream, cheese and cook with Oliver oils and keep it to 50 carbs i migth be alright and then maybe slowly take of some carbs.My main problem is in the evening watching tv and when we are out and about we often end of in places like MCD. Anyone else doing that?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sounds like to need to plan ahead so you have food on hand when hunger hits. If you have nuts, or leftovers in the freezer, you can avoid McD's…. or just order the patties with a diet soda and maybe a side salad (no croutons, and bring your own dressing). Have ready to eat foods like tuna cans, meat and cheese, nuts or veggies and dip/salad dressing on hand to take when you go out. Or don't eat.

My kids like their carbs too. I still make the ones that I deem to be acceptable, but I don't eat it. I have enough of my own food.

If you like to eat later in the day, skip breakfast and have a snack meal in the evening in front of the tv. I lost my weight while still eating nuts, coconut and sugrafree chocolate chips most evenings.

Cravings could also be due to low sodium. Try a cup or two of salty boullion a couple of times a day and see if that helps.
  • mor72
    Options
    I definitely need to get back bringing my salad with me again. Is not a hunger that makes me go in to the kitchen is my munching monster in me, which i am trying to get under control. I did start knitting in the evening but unfortunately i got caple tunnel do to my weight and gives me pins and neddles in my fingers. I will try and get small single bags of nuts in my next shopping and have then in the evening. I will also try the bullion in the evening which might help me with my cramp fellings in my feet.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I find having drinks (like diet soda, carbonated water, or tea) seems to help keep munchies at bay.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You have to find a purpose for doing this as an initial motivator. Why are you wanting to change and is it worth doing more than eating McDonalds etc. Start there.

If you have to go through the fast food place tell them you want your burger extra protein style. You will get your sandwich with lettuce toppers and more meat instead of the carby bun. Do a side salad swap instead of fries.

When I do go out to a fast food place I use safe foods I've identified like bar wings, Zaxbys chicken strips(semi low carb) or Pollo Tropical non-breaded grilled chicken and so forth. There are low carb options in the fast food realm but it takes time to identify them. Search google for nutritional info.

Here is a sweet trick I use that is fairly low carb and high protein: 32 grams of PBFIT Peanut Protein Powder, 2 pieces of unsweetened baking chocolate and 1 stevia packet. Mix together with cold water and put in the freezer for 15 minutes. The result is a heavy chocolate treat.

230 calories
    5 net carbs
    11 grams fat
    18 grams protein

I also keep bottles of Diet Soda stocked. If I need a crunch I do either Flackers or Parmesan Crisps. If all else fails look into a kitchen safe. These let you lock away your snacks for up to 10 days without a way to unlock it.

• mor72
    Options
    Like the idea of a kitchen safe. And thanks both for your ideas. I will get a some of those things you have recommended in.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Kitchen safe, neat! I have a secret drawer where I keep all our Lindt 90% chocolate - because that way my hubby will not find it and "EAT ALL THE THINGS!" I may take some out of the drawer once in a while (2-4 pcs each) when he is not in the room and then set them out on a napkin on the table as a surprise.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    McD's is actually pretty low carb friendly. You can buy the meats and cheeses seperate and pay less money than a sandwich. I ordered lettuce wrapped burgers before from them or just order a burger and eat the meat right out of the bun. Or order a side salad to make a salad. A big chicken breast is only $2.
  • mor72
    Options
    Unfortunately MCD in the uk isn't as good as usa ones.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    We have celiac in the family so we do not eat out often - its a large risk. I find that knowing that I cannot access fast food places makes it simpler to plan ahead with food to bring. It's either bring food, eat nothing, or go to a grocery store.

Maybe thinking of McD as not a food option could work for you, especially if you are an all or nothing/abstainer type.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    People may get tired of me doing this, but every time I see a request for "motivation" I think back to this Myth of Motivation post and pass it along.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Sounds good. :)
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My weakness is definitely late night snacking. Once my family goes to bed, the kitchen has a siren song that calls out to me! When I decided to get serious about losing weight, and not just talking about it, I made sure to have my last piece of food - whatever it was - no later than 9 p.m. It didn't matter if it was a cookie or a sip of milk or juice. After 9 p.m., I'd only have water. Some nights the cravings were so bad that I'd simply go to bed to avoid the temptation. Other nights, I'd head to bed at midnight and realize I never had a craving the entire evening.

I'm now three months in (and 17 pounds down) and it's very rare for me to now crave something late at night. But it took those entire three months to have my late-night habit be completely broken.
  • mor72
    Options
    Glad is not just me who goes to bed early to avoid evening craving. Last night i went to bed 8.30 pm and slept to around 6am(must have needed the sleep) work up not hungry. But when i woke up i did fell like my leg muscle was about to go into cramp, dont think i drank enough the day before.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thanks, PamamaJane for the above reference. I had never seen it before and think it's an awesome quote. It should be mandatory reading before changing ones WOE.
  • GFC781
    GFC781 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    DEAD = "D"on't "E"at "A"fter "D" inner
    I have DEAD wrote down in big letters on a dry erase board to remind me.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane, I had not seen that before. It is a good one. I tried to go to the original post but it takes you to a godaddy ad now.

GFC781, I like your DEAD idea.