:[ did I ruin it?

Im only 6 days into keto, I must admit, but I've been doing good. I'm giving it a 1/2 mo trial to see how it affects me and if I like it. Anyways, I'm usually at about 5 net carbs a day because (I know this is bad, please don't attack me) I haven't really been getting any veggies in besides occasionally kale, and my calorie count has been very low at 1 meal a day. I'm working on that.

Anyways, I had some unsweetened applesauce cups in my fridge I want to get out of the way. 1 cup is 10 net carbs so I thought, hey why not? my carb count for the day was literally 1. But now I'm freaked out about it since apples are high in carbs. Did I make a mistake?

Replies

• Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Hi there!
    I cannot comment on the applesauce because I am sticking to a lot of basics to avoid this issue but... I don't always eat a lot of veggies either, and my net carbs could be pretty low, which I do not think is a problem at all!

Is there a specific reason why you are only eating one meal a day? About how many calories are you eating and how much are you trying to lose?

I said I was only going to do it for a month, "test it out" but I am on week 7 and sticking to it for a few more weeks!! It's not so bad once you stat getting the kinks out! ;)

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Everyone is different but by your math you would now be at 15 net carbs for the day which is still under the suggested 20-25 net carbs per day. I'd say you are fine.

Try to balance your day for calorie intake so you are never hungry. No need to be restricting calories in an extreme way as that is a guaranteed way to not stick to the plan. Keep in mind as well that the first 2-3 weeks are the toughest then your body gets accustom to it and your mind accepts what you are doing.

A point that is often missed is that Keto should really be a way of eating that propels you into being fat adapted 2 months from now. At that point your body will take over and use fat for fuel and you can increase carb counts slowly. I'm all the way back up to 40-50 net carbs a day.

I'm a boring eater but take a look at my food log (its public) for an idea of some of what I eat being fat adapted. Really the only difference now vs when I started keto is that I take in a bit more carbs and protein with lower fats in my day.
  • TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    Hi there!
    I cannot comment on the applesauce because I am sticking to a lot of basics to avoid this issue but... I don't always eat a lot of veggies either, and my net carbs could be pretty low, which I do not think is a problem at all!

Is there a specific reason why you are only eating one meal a day? About how many calories are you eating and how much are you trying to lose?

I said I was only going to do it for a month, "test it out" but I am on week 7 and sticking to it for a few more weeks!! It's not so bad once you stat getting the kinks out! ;)

Hi there, thanks for your input :) Ive been following Dr. Eric Berg on youtube and he suggests 1-2 meals a day, so that what I've been trying. Im 5'2. Recently went from 165-152, but my temporary goal is to get to 130. Ive been getting between 800-1000 calories in per day.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Im only 6 days into keto, I must admit, but I've been doing good. I'm giving it a 1/2 mo trial to see how it affects me and if I like it. Anyways, I'm usually at about 5 net carbs a day because (I know this is bad, please don't attack me) I haven't really been getting any veggies in besides occasionally kale, and my calorie count has been very low at 1 meal a day. I'm working on that.

Anyways, I had some unsweetened applesauce cups in my fridge I want to get out of the way. 1 cup is 10 net carbs so I thought, hey why not? my carb count for the day was literally 1. But now I'm freaked out about it since apples are high in carbs. Did I make a mistake?

I'm just learning this stuff but I think if your total carbs for the day are good, it should be OK.
  • TiffanyLoveG
    TiffanyLoveG Posts: 76 Member
    qweck3 wrote: »
    Everyone is different but by your math you would now be at 15 net carbs for the day which is still under the suggested 20-25 net carbs per day. I'd say you are fine.

Try to balance your day for calorie intake so you are never hungry. No need to be restricting calories in an extreme way as that is a guaranteed way to not stick to the plan. Keep in mind as well that the first 2-3 weeks are the toughest then your body gets accustom to it and your mind accepts what you are doing.

A point that is often missed is that Keto should really be a way of eating that propels you into being fat adapted 2 months from now. At that point your body will take over and use fat for fuel and you can increase carb counts slowly. I'm all the way back up to 40-50 net carbs a day.

I'm a boring eater but take a look at my food log (its public) for an idea of some of what I eat being fat adapted. Really the only difference now vs when I started keto is that I take in a bit more carbs and protein with lower fats in my day.

Hey, you seem pretty knowledgeable and give good input around this community. I was wondering, (I know everyone is different) would you say that it takes 2 months or more until your body starts burning fat? I'm loosing now but I know its water weight...
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Thanks. I'm just another person trying to live a healthy life and helping others where I can after having my share of success and failures I've learned from.

2 months is a good baseline to become fat adapted. A lot of telling signs that you can read about here: https://www.ketovale.com/signs-you-are-fat-adapted/

The only true way to know 100% is to take an RMR test at a Dexafit type facility. The way it was explained to me is that if your energy if coming from fat at a 70%+ rate it is considered fat adapted.

Initially it will be a water weight loss which usually is a big number in the first week or two then it slows down for a few weeks. Don't get down if you see half of this number come back out of nowhere. The body will retain fluids at times. My suggestion is to get a tight piece of clothing and try it on each week taking a side picture to compare. The scale is not viable to show true progress for many reasons but the clothing will not lie when it all of a sudden starts fitting.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    A two week trial may be a bit to short. I my opinion the first two weeks is the worst part and most of your loss at that point is water anyway. Give it more time if you can and see the real positive side. To me 20g is very low and I get good results on about 50g. It allows room for some veggies and wine.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Almost everybody will be in ketosis at under 20g. Most will be ketogenic under 50 g too... TBH, many people will end up ketogenic if eating under 1000 kcal too. That's not very much. Are you managing to get enough protein (at least 60g, 80+ g is better and 100g is great)? You really should consider eating more, or at least alternate higher calorie days (1000kcal then 1500 kcal, etc).

It seems that 1200 kcal is the lowest calories recommended, and that's for petite, sedentary people (like the 110 lb, 5' elderly woman who has mobility issues).

It takes most people one to three days to start burning fat and ketones. You are there. :) To get fat/keto adapted takes up to 4 months (as I understand it) and that is when your body has normal glycogen, blood uric acid levels, and improved mitochondrial function. Using fat and ketones for fuel happens much sooner than becoming fat adapted takes.

I completely agree with using clothes, a tape measure and pictures to help you judge your progress. They often show what the scale is missing. :)

Keep going. One bowl of applesauce may lower you ketones for a few hours, but it's no big deal unless you need hugh ketones for a medical reason.
  • dbpaitsel
    dbpaitsel Posts: 1 Member
    I am new here. Have been fairly low carb but not keto. Getting some info together to get started on keto though. Dr Eric Westman has some great videos on youtube too
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    I'd suggest trying it for longer than 2 weeks, too.... at first, you're unaccustomed to the meals, don't know what to eat, you might not be feeling too hot as your body goes through changes... I'd suggest a few months to get used to the different way of eating.