Looking For Low-Carb Lunches

Options
wheeliea
wheeliea Posts: 11 Member
Hi I am kind of new to low carb diet. I work and I am looking for ideas for low-carb lunches I can take. I looked around at frozen meals, but most of them don't look very healthy. If they are low-carb, then they are high sodium. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Real whole foods.
    Prepare them yourself.
    Freeze a week ahead.
    Mostly meat. Above ground vegetables.
    Microwave at work.

No bread, rice, pasta, root vegetables, starches. Stay away from all sugars.

Cheers
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I grill up 10-12 spiced chicken thighs at least once a week to keep on hand for snacks/meal additions. So easy to pop one of them in the microwave. I also make a big vegetable casserole so I am sure to get those in. The recipe differs week to week, and you can adapt to suit your tastes, but it usually includes 4lbs frozen broccoli (four 1lb bags), 1lb frozen chopped spinach, 1 block cream cheese, spices, and 1/4c mayo (I have an avocado oil one that is lovely). Steam vegetables, mix with other ingredients while it's hot to blend together, then bake in casserole dish at 375 for 20-30 minutes. I sometimes toss in some meat, such as cut up chicken breast or beef stew meat (cooked separately) if I want to make it a full entree. Usually lasts me the full week.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually just do a meat salad or meat soup of some sort...on the super lazy days when I didn't plan anything, I'll just grab cold cuts
  • GFC781
    GFC781 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    grill up family pack of chicken breast's.. eat like chicken tenders everyday for lunch,I eat them cold and I dip in ranch or low sugar ketchup.. 2-3 hard boiled eggs a day also
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If I'm feeling especially lazy I buy some frozen veggies (I love broccoli and cauliflower) and some frozen chicken and stick it in some freezer bags with a low sugar "sauce", most often either soy sauce or pesto. Then pull it out and take it to work.

Hubs also pre-rolls canned chicken and black SOY bean and cheese burritos (low carb tortilla) and freezes them for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling especially lazy I buy some frozen veggies (I love broccoli and cauliflower) and some frozen chicken and stick it in some freezer bags with a low sugar "sauce", most often either soy sauce or pesto. Then pull it out and take it to work.

Hubs also pre-rolls canned chicken and black SOY bean and cheese burritos (low carb tortilla) and freezes them for me.

SIX grams of net carbs (10 total). 261 calories.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My typical lunch might be a bit stinky for a public lunch room ...
    sardines or canned tuna or pickled herring or boiled eggs.

Previously I was eating either Greek yogurt or cottage cheese but I'm off that kick for now.

Leftovers are a typical lunch for me also-meat and vegetable.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Salad with grilled chicken.(I like to heat up the chicken) Dressing is just balsamic vinegar. Almost always
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Lots of options.
    • Roll up sliced ham, turkey or even roast beef and different kinds of cheese.
    • VT smoke and Cure beef stick with a boiled egg and cottage cheese on the side
    • Canned tuna with mayo in a fiber one sandwich thin (10 carbs I think but if its all you have all day its good)
    • I like these Amy Lu aged cheddar chicken burgers from Costco. Pop in toaster oven and have between big leaves of lettuce with a mix of mayo and mustard.
    • Breakfast for lunch. Scrambled eggs microwave just fine. 40 seconds, add additional veggies, 30-50 more seconds until not wet.
    • Leftover grilled chicken or steak with a side of cottage cheese
    • Leftover taco salad made with ground turkey and homemade seasoning blend (to cut down on the salt)

Unless you have a health reason to stay away from sodium, and you're not having highly processed foods for every single meal, you'll be fine.
  • wheeliea
    wheeliea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!