Low carb meals ain't always pretty

Options
nicsflyingcircus
nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
edited November 2018 in Social Groups
But dang they're delicious and filling. 5C/54P/35F. 559 calories. Big mug of coffee with half and half, 2 boar's head uncured bacon chicken sausages, 2 eggs and some egg whites for extra bulk.

ETA: for some reason today the app is fighting me on uploading pics. I had one of the forementioned meal.

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    No argument, sometimes it's pretty. Sometimes it's chunked up sausage and then eggs fried in the little grease they leave in the pan.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    @ flying molly... just wanted to say thanks for the morning laugh - i read your line

" i ate it .. and therefore have no photos. also ate the rest of the steak therefore still have no photos" and I actually "laughed out loud". loved it.. too funny!

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    No argument, sometimes it's pretty. Sometimes it's chunked up sausage and then eggs fried in the little grease they leave in the pan.

No doubt! Once in a while a curious coworker notices me chewing and does that friendly-curious “Yum! Whatcha got?” and I want to be like “Just walk away now, honey.” :D
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    My dinner bowl tonight looked gross all mixed in together. Shredded lettuce, jalepenos, small amounts of onion, tomato and salsa, shredded Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, guacamole and a shwackload of grilled, taco seasoned chicken thigh. It looked pretty enough until I stirred it and the sour cream and Guac coated everything, lol. It was amazing though
  • SUNSHINEandSPRINKLES
    Options
    Mine didnt look pretty! I'm not a fan of chicken breast at all but my husband loves it. I chopped up a chcken breast and poured melted butter over it. I still didnt care for it much so I added spicy ranch and stirred it all up. It was really good!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Guac coated anything is not pretty.... but I close my eyes and just gobble it down anyhow! I was always a 'foods must not touch on the plate' sort of gal. Unless it was cooked together in the pot, I still like a bit of space between the items and separate flavours on the fork.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Guac coated anything is not pretty.... but I close my eyes and just gobble it down anyhow! I was always a 'foods must not touch on the plate' sort of gal. Unless it was cooked together in the pot, I still like a bit of space between the items and separate flavours on the fork.

See, I'm a mix it together kinda gal. Back when I ate potatoes and rice and pasta regularly it was always mixed with something :) ugly but delicious
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I mean, I can make my meals look pretty if I really want to. Steak with a chunk of compound herb butter and plump roasted asparagus with a few grains of rock salt? Beautiful. Crustless pumpkin cheesecake bar with a dollop of sugar-free whipped cream? Appealing. Stuffed chicken breast on a bed of quickly sautéed zoodles? Yum. However, that's mostly too much work, which is why my lunch today was sausage and steak and fried chicken liver on top of some bacon sautéed mushrooms, a.k.a. a pile of brown meaty looking stuff. Tasted and smelled amazing, looked kind of... meh.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

See, I'm a mix it together kinda gal. Back when I ate potatoes and rice and pasta regularly it was always mixed with something :) ugly but delicious

Getting into keto has made me far less concerned about what goes with what and how I mix things. Everything tastes good and I want the calories and I just kind of pile everything into a bowl these days. It’s so rare to eat anything that I don’t enjoy that it doesn’t really seem to matter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You know the semester is grinding on when lunch looks like this:60k3lzw0lkb8.jpg

Chicken, rocket and tomatoes, with some soy sauce and Chile sauce for the chicken, and almonds as a snack.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I baked a turkey last night (yep, Monday of Thanksgiving week), and it was beautiful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You know the semester is grinding on when lunch looks like this:60k3lzw0lkb8.jpg

Chicken, rocket and tomatoes, with some soy sauce and Chile sauce for the chicken, and almonds as a snack.

btw, DH who is a huge DEAR washes these bags a few times at this time of the semester so I'm not tossing them!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    I've had days like this. Where my lunch was legit random leftover chunks of rotisserie chicken, half a cucumber, a string cheese and a couple hardboiled eggs
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options

btw, DH who is a huge DEAR washes these bags a few times at this time of the semester so I'm not tossing them!

We reuse ours, too. :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Not pretty, but VERY satisfying egg, sausage, cheese sandwich with 3grams of carbs. (1/2 a low carb tortilla)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Be careful @nicsflyingcircus!! I used to work as rehab professional for people who had acquired brain injuries. Make sure you take your time with that concussion! They are not the casual injuries we used to think they were many years ago. Sorry, I will take the med professional hat off now, lol. Good you are listening to your body and resting/sleeping whenever and as long as you need to... and ugly keto food however you make it is good. <3<3<3
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Be careful @nicsflyingcircus!! I used to work as rehab professional for people who had acquired brain injuries. Make sure you take your time with that concussion! They are not the casual injuries we used to think they were many years ago. Sorry, I will take the med professional hat off now, lol. Good you are listening to your body and resting/sleeping whenever and as long as you need to... and ugly keto food however you make it is good. <3<3<3

I'm an RN and this is unfortunately my 6th concussion, but my first as an adult. I actually bombed out of work pretty hard yesterday, headache and nausea and didn't work today either. I pretty much sleep, avoid screen time (5 minutes here or there doesn't hurt) and do my best imitation of a sloth.