Affordable?!

Options
Shanwing
Shanwing Posts: 7 Member
So I started with keto yesterday per a doctor’s suggestion. I went shopping today. My weekly grocery budget is $80-$100. My husband would prefer that stay closer to $80. I need budget friendly recipes, that can feed a family. My husband can eat for 2. I have 3 kids ranging from 21 months to 7years. This diet is not good for my budget. I need help.

Replies

• sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a family too. I usually make a meat,veggie and side dish,I just stay away from the side dish.
  • Beckymomof3girls
    Beckymomof3girls Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 5 and am on a grocery budget as well (10 mo, 3yo, and 5yo). I live in a high cost of living area and we have no Aldi, so hopefully you can shop for less than I do! If I can manage 2 stores, I'll shop for meat and produce at Sprouts and the rest of my list at the grocery store.

I try to keep dinners simple and with limited ingredients. Some things like almond flour, I'll wait until I can budget it in or until it goes on sale and freeze it since I try to avoid using it too much. Most of the time I'll plan dinners around what meat is on sale that week.

My family hates frozen veggies, so I'll buy fresh for dinner and then buy frozen for my lunches. I usually eat 4 oz of meat and veggies with 1tb of butter for lunch. Not the most exciting, but still helps me stick to budget.

Dinners that help me meet my budget are:
    Roasted whole chicken
    Broccoli
    Butter noodles for the family
    (I'll eat left over chicken on a salad for lunch and use the bones to make stock)

Breakfast for dinner-
    Eggs and sausage for me
    Add potatoes and a fruit for the family

Chicken tacos- eat mine as a salad and use frozen chicken breasts

Grilled chicken thighs- I get the bone in, skin on thighs and then debone them and take the skin off to save money

Ground turkey burgers (eat mine with a lettuce bun)

I don't care for most pork, but usually there's sales on pork chops or pork roasts

I hope this helps a little!
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Shanwing wrote: »
    So I started with keto yesterday per a doctor’s suggestion. I went shopping today. My weekly grocery budget is $80-$100. My husband would prefer that stay closer to $80. I need budget friendly recipes, that can feed a family. My husband can eat for 2. I have 3 kids ranging from 21 months to 7years. This diet is not good for my budget. I need help.

Aldi made keto possible. Items cheap enough to not blow the budget. Half and half, cream, butter, almond milk, coconut oil, eggs, bacon, ranch, cheese, hamburger, chicken, spinach, riced cauliflower, and so on. All cheap, delicious, and trackable easily on here.

Shopping at Aldi already cut my budget a ton, as I don't overspend on items I really don't need or want. Then I found out it was the best place to shop for keto items in my area. From the mio-knockoff water flavorings to the aforementioned items. It's a one stop keto shop, really.
  • Shanwing
    Shanwing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’m in Utah and our cheap grocery store is Winco. I’ve shopped at Aldo’s before and I love them! Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Shanwing wrote: »
    I’m in Utah and our cheap grocery store is Winco. I’ve shopped at Aldo’s before and I love them! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Good luck and I hope you figure out what works best for you! At least your closest store isn't an Albertson's. That's for sure.. When I lived in Oregon, that was mine, and RIP my wallet for food.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I shop at Winco too. I find some produce, deli meat, and frozen veggies are reasonably priced. Also I get the 5 dozen eggs (if they have it at yours) and do a lot of hard boiled eggs.