Excess skin removal

Replies

• Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    I’m excited for summer.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    @ssflbelle2012 Congrats on losing 280lbs. That’s awesome.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    One down side of this surgery is the weight I’ve gained because I’ve been unable to exercise, other than walks. So, now I need to work on losing the extra pounds.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    I’m scheduled for my first plastics on 5/8 (lower body lift, medial thigh lift (half way down thighs), lipo and fat transfer to butt. I’m nervous as a cat!
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    I’m soooo excited for you! Post pics!
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Omg my phone apparently didn’t update...I just saw your pics. I’m sooo happy for you and an amazing bikini season for you!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    It’s been a long time since I’ve updated.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    9d79u4aaf3ga.jpeg
    2azalch6unyh.jpeg
    5kzvlrgc2aax.jpeg
  • Wonderwomanvik
    My skin removals are on hold for now. I am suffering from severe GERD (Reflux) and a new hiatal hernia. I am doing the pre-op for a revision from VSG to Bypass. I am currently at 176 lbs. I will likely lose more weight with the revision, which will cause more excess skin.
    The plan is to do the thigh contouring after the revision and to revise the tummy at the same time. Ideally I will be at about 145 lbs when the contouring takes place because my BMI will be 25.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Revision to bypass should be happening in the next two months. Yay
  • JourneyToWorlds
    JourneyToWorlds Posts: 38 Member
    Congrats on the surgery and your amazing success - how painful was the skin removal? Good luck with your revision - thoughts with you.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    The skin removal was somewhat more painful than a c-section. It wasn’t too bad.
    Thank you. I’m currently on a liquid diet and my surgery is scheduled for 12/4
  • JourneyToWorlds
    Thanks for the reply - I handled a csection but for some reason fear this operation ! I have to earn it first (2 months RNY post op, down 40 pounds, 80-100 to go ). Good luck on your next surgery 💜
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    @JourneyToWorlds I had a lot of skin removed. I have several threads last year about it. It's no easy feat, but I had A LOT done at once, which I really wouldn't recommend to most people, lol!

My one tip is this: Lose the weight. Get to goal. Maintain your goal for 6 months before you start "shopping", have your skin removal until you've been in maintenance for at least a year. I wish I had waited longer, but I have some regain now that I'm fighting with. I was mentally prepared for the surgery, not fully understanding maintenance.
  • JourneyToWorlds
    Thanks Nicole! You’re amazing 😉 I hope to be half as successful as you! You’re truly an inspiration- thanks for responding
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    This thread was very interesting. I see a lot of parallels with my situation here too, so I’m glad to see it still alive.

I had a sleeve done in 2010 and suffered from three months post op until 2015 with terrible bile reflux! They kept trying to treat me medically but nothing worked! Finally in 2015 I was converted to RNY and haven’t realized bile since. I do still have ulcer issues that have to be watched since by stomach produces way too much acid, but it’s better than vomiting bile in the middle of the night!!! I love my pouch better than the sleeve for restriction too. After living with both I can see that the pouch will be more effective long term than the sleeve ever would have been.

Once I’d lost 150 pounds (mine, and my surgeons goal!) I had a (self pay) tummy tuck and breast lift done. I’d always warned my husband that plastics would be part of my weight loss journey, but I never met any insurance requirements for them to pay. I’m 5’9” so none of my lose skin was rubbing, causing problems. So mine was out of pocket. I was fortunate to work where it was done and got a professional discount from the surgeon and facility. The breast lift went very well (I love it actually!!), but there was a minor complication with the tummy tuck when I developed a seroma (pocket of fluid) after the drains had been removed and had to have the drains put back in. That was no fun! I would have to say that the drains are the worst part of the post op experience, besides the pain which overall wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be. The drains, I was sick and tired of, for sure!!

I hope your surgery for conversion has gone well and you’re recovering without any difficulties!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Unfortunately, I have had complications and that is why I haven’t posted for a bit. I’m 158 lb now and some of that is a week long stay on an NPO diet. Then being put back to full liquids, when I should be on soft foods at this point.
    I appreciate all of your stories and input. Especially your advice to one another. Yes, definitely lose the weight and get to a maintenance phase for at least 6 months. If you don’t you will have more excess skin you will need removed.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    My thigh lift is looking like it will happen in March/April. Got pushed back because I need a tumor removed from my left calf in early January. I’m staying positive for that. Keep posting and showing each other and me advice and encouragement, please. Sometimes I feel so lonely and isolated on this journey.
  • lozenger1984
    lozenger1984 Posts: 166 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    @JourneyToWorlds I had a lot of skin removed. I have several threads last year about it. It's no easy feat, but I had A LOT done at once, which I really wouldn't recommend to most people, lol!

My one tip is this: Lose the weight. Get to goal. Maintain your goal for 6 months before you start "shopping", have your skin removal until you've been in maintenance for at least a year. I wish I had waited longer, but I have some regain now that I'm fighting with. I was mentally prepared for the surgery, not fully understanding maintenance.

Hi Nicole, can you point me in the direction of your threads about skin surgery - I can’t seem to find them. I think if I do have surgery it will have to be in one go, I just won’t be able to have time off work (maybe even for one surgery, let alone more).
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    My thigh lift is looking like it will happen in March/April. Got pushed back because I need a tumor removed from my left calf in early January. I’m staying positive for that. Keep posting and showing each other and me advice and encouragement, please. Sometimes I feel so lonely and isolated on this journey.

It’s hard when no one else understands your journey, even being with other people who had similar paths it can still feel lonely, it just have been hard being stuck in the hospital, hope the rest of your recovery goes well