Apples!!

Options
Lula1068
Lula1068 Posts: 38 Member
Any keto people love apples? I try to trade veggie carbs to get an apple in everyday or every other day but it still pushes me out of the macro count for true keto. Anybody else? Thoughts?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    No, apples not only have carbs, but it is fructose. Fructose is digested differently than many other carbs, as it gets processed by the liver. Believe it or not, there are cases of fatty liver disease in patients that have never had a drop of alcohol in their lives... yet their liver looks like an alcoholic's liver because of the large amount of fructose. Sucrose contains a fructose molecule as well, so that is also something I avoid.

Unless I'm dangerously hypoglycemic, I don't consume any foods with 100% of the calories coming from carbs.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love apples, too, but it's just not possible with my macro ratio. I think the best I could suggest is eat a small amount of apple with some cheddar cheese, almond butter, or some other fiber/fat/protein to slow down the sugar spike.

I haven't had any fruit except berries 1-2 times per week -I do miss it.
  • Shanwing
    Shanwing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not only apples; but I love most fruits: pineapple, pears, apples, bananas, kiwi. And guess which ones I don't like much... berries. Strawberries and raspberries?: Maybe in a fat bomb.
  • cratcli1
    cratcli1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The purpose of keto is to deplete your body of glucose, unfortunately, fruit has too much glucose. You can do some berries but in very small doses. I find it easier just to drop fruit completely.