Revision from VSG to Bypass

Wonderwomanvik
Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
I am in the pre-op phase for a revision from VSG to Bypass. Has anyone done this? I have severe GERD and a new moderate hiatal hernia. My current weight is 176 lbs. I’m 5’ 4”. My BMI is 30. But the only way to correct the GERD is the revision as medication gives no relief.

Replies

• Wonderwomanvik
    I go in Wednesday 8/22 to have my pre-op endoscopy with Bravo placement. The Bravo device measures reflux for a few days after the endoscopy. Then I will be finding out when the revision will be scheduled. It’s awful right now because I cannot take anything for the reflux. I’m constantly regurgitating and throwing up and in pain.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    edited August 2018
    I learned from my primary care that there are different types or “sizes” of Bypass.

I had never heard of this before he asked me what size was planned for the revision. So... I began looking into the bypass and it’s “sizes”.

The surgeon can perform a bypass from 1in- 30ft without doing a duodenal switch. The most common are 5 ft for less obese and 10 ft for more at risk or larger obese.

It is worth knowing and asking your surgeon what length they will be doing if you are getting bypass (RNY)
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Interesting... I know the surgeons at my Health System in Kansas City, (I work for and got my RNY done here) do the anastamosis at the jejunum, (except if the anatomy is altered already.)

rimwtclv0dds.png
  • Wonderwomanvik
    I keep gaining weight no matter how healthy I eat and how much I exercise. This is so frustrating. I see my surgeon in two weeks to schedule revision. I’m hoping this fixes the gerd and helps stops the weight gain.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    I keep gaining weight no matter how healthy I eat and how much I exercise. This is so frustrating.

Time and time again I see quotes like this. Weight gain/loss is NOT about energy balance (CICO), there's so much more to it. Mainly hormones, insulin in particular. I believe if we stick to whole or minimally processed foods most of us won't gain weight.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    I’m not sure what part of my quote leads you to believe I’m eating processed foods. Don’t assume you know someone’s diet and then pass judgement. We are here to support each other and give helpful advice. So please, next time ask before you assume and chastise.
  • JamesAztec
    I’m not sure what part of my quote leads you to believe I’m eating processed foods. Don’t assume you know someone’s diet and then pass judgement. We are here to support each other and give helpful advice. So please, next time ask before you assume and chastise.

I'm not sure what part of MY QUOTE leads you to believe I assume you eat processed foods. Read it closely. My point was that fat regulation is about so much more than calories. Maybe you should follow own advice and not assume?
  • Wonderwomanvik
    My revision date is scheduled for November 20th. I have to do two weeks liquid before the surgery.
    This surgery is to correct a hiatal hernia and GERD that have become an issue since the sleeve. Although this should help with weight gain, it is not the reason for the surgery.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    JamesAztec wrote: »

I'm not sure what part of MY QUOTE leads you to believe I assume you eat processed foods. Read it closely. My point was that fat regulation is about so much more than calories. Maybe you should follow own advice and not assume?

Clearly you do not understand how a reply to a quote works. You replied by quoting my statement, therefore everything you said was directed towards me. So, when you said that you believed that people shouldn’t eat processed foods and they won’t gain weight: you were directly applying that to my statement because you quoted it. Had you not quoted it and just made a general comment as feedback, then it could be said that you were not making an assumption about my diet. When I replied, I did not quote you intentionally. So as to avoid personally attacking you the way you did above. I was generally saying that we are all here to support each other and not make assumptions. This time I am calling you out because clearly you refuse to be mature and supportive on a thread I began for my healing process. So please do no come back to my thread unless you have something supportive to say.
  • JamesAztec
    "Your" thread. L O L. Good luck. 😁
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Revision date 12/4. Currently on week three of pre-op liquid diet.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Very exciting!! Hope all goes well.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Late to the party! So you lost all the weight initially, then had skin removal, then gained a lot back, now have to have a revision? Wow. I'm so sorry this process has been so difficult on you. You're less than a week out until your revision. I wish you the best of luck! Hang in there!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    I only gained 40 lbs. I was 175 lbs at surgery. The revision was mostly for severe GERD.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    I’m three days post op and I’m in pain, but I’m doing well.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I’m three days post op and I’m in pain, but I’m doing well.

Hope the pain stops soon for you!!! And that you finally have relief from your GERD
  • TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    I basically could have wrote your initial
    Comment. I’m 5’4” and weigh 176. I had VSG 5/5/17 and have reflux so bad. My doctors submitted my revision to insurance on Nov 30th for Bypass so I’m waiting to hear back. How are you feeling now?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I had the same problem after my sleeve in 2010. They made me suffer almost five years before finally realizing the only answer was conversion to RNY In 2015. I’ve been much better since then. I still have ulcer issues, but don’t reflux bile anymore, which was the worst part of the sleeve!

I hope you’re continuing to recover well!! Gentle hugs being sent your way! So sorry that everyone (including myself) isn’t able to tolerate the sleeve because of this reflux issue! It’s awful!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I hope your recovery is going well!

I truly understand what you were going through!! The reflux had you so sick that you looked for comfort anywhere you could find it and that happened to be with some food that was easier to digest! Especially since you were vomiting bile and living with heartburn all because of the sleeve!! And you gained a few pounds as a side effect.

The RNY conversion was done to stop the bile (that is produced by the liver and excreted via the common bile duct in the duodenum which is the first portion of the small intestine that’s completely bypassed and the bile would then have to travel up the Y limb to get to the stomach after the RNY) from being able to get to your stomach so you wouldn’t be continually having heartburn and vomiting at any time day or night (my experience was mostly at night when it would wake me up)!

I had the same experience where some people thought I was having the conversion to RNY because of weight gain and that wasn’t it at all! I just wanted you to know I completely understand because I lived it too!! Back in 2010 the sleeve was so new that I couldn’t find anyone who understood. I believe that’s why it took my surgeon five years before he did my conversion. I was his first one.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Well, as a result of the conversion... I developed a bowel obstruction and spent a week (including Christmas) in the hospital. I’m not having reflux but I’m still on purées foods and omeprazole. But it’s feeling better. Thank you for your support and your story. I’m sorry it took so long for you to get relief