Trying out keto & 16/8 Intermittent fasting

Options
itzcath
itzcath Posts: 94 Member
Would love to have some buddies on my new endeavor. Feel free to add me if you would also like to try it out ☺

Replies

• VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Does coffee and sugar free creamer count?

:)
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take a look at stuff online for recipes and meal plans. Search on Diet Doctor to get started. Tons of stuff on You Tube as well.
    Best of luck to you...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have been IF for several years now, and keto for just over a year...I do have plain coffee within my fasting window...there is some level of debate regarding if things under 50 cals (some say 200 cals) counts as "breaking the fast" or not...whatever works for you...for me, if I have cream in my coffee I definitely notice it boosts my appetite, so in the mornings I go with plain...but after lunch I will have a bit of cream...because it's yummy!!!

I normally eat between 1ish and 7ish, but with the kids schedule sometimes I am eating as late as 9pm, so it's kind of 16:8 most days.
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    IronGiant0 has good recommendations.
    Decent discussion of keto and IF.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyFVWwzgJI
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite youtube video on IF and keto right now:
    https://youtu.be/tIuj-oMN-Fk
  • itzcath
    Options
    Thanks for the links :smiley: . I have been keto for a year now, lost over 60 pounds and wanted to "ramp it up" for the last leg of my weight loss journey. The benefits of Autophagy is my primary goal. I am over 50 and I want to do all I can for some of the loose skin while my body is adjusting to the lost weight.
  • Viciousdoggie
    Viciousdoggie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good info
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    eating 1 pm to 9pm is something I could easily do. I love tea so I drink that after 9 pm if I have some left but that's not much calories.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    First, I try to stay away from fads. Second, IF is not exactly intuitive to me. Third, my Keto has been working, at least for the most part. Fourth, I can be a stubborn person. While I swore I would N E V E R do this fasting thing, you all have piqued my interest. Thank you.
  • itzcath
    edited December 2018
    Options
    On October 3, 2016, the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awarded to Yoshinori Ohsumi for “discoveries of the mechanisms for autophagy."

I don't imagine they give those out for fads 😉. His lecture on the subject however was a snoozer. Wayyyy to sciencey for me.
  • PamamaJane
    Options
    There I go again, posting without thinking. I really didn't mean to say that IF is nothing more than a "fad." But, reading my post, that is exactly what I did. Sorry. I should have engaged brain before posting.

What I meant to convey was that in the past six months or so I've gone from having barely ever heard of IF to having it pop up in a lot of unlikely places like on a radio show that usually covers only personal finances and taxes, and in a knitting/crocheting forum. What's up with that? My general inclination is to steer clear of things that are new to me but suddenly look like everyone is going there and doing that. It's a reaction to my perception, not a judgement of the actual validity of the topic.

@itzcath, yes, I might like to join you in IF. You are way far ahead of me on knowledge about this but I'm studying up on it with youtube and Google searches. Please pass along any resources you have found helpful.

• etaylor704
    etaylor704 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Does coffee and sugar free creamer count?

:)
    DW1Texas wrote: »
    IronGiant0 has good recommendations.
    Decent discussion of keto and IF.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyFVWwzgJI

I like dr. Berg that's my boy. Hes the 1st one that taught me about insulin
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    There I go again, posting without thinking. I really didn't mean to say that IF is nothing more than a "fad." But, reading my post, that is exactly what I did. Sorry. I should have engaged brain before posting.

I didn't read it badly.
    IF, to those who haven't ever heard of it, seems like it's just another fad blowing up the blabosphere.
    I just thought that's what you meant; that something you "thought" was just faddish turned out to be something worthwhile.
  • PamamaJane
    Options
    Already, my first question. I have some Bigelow Black Tea Blend in the flavor Salted Caramel. The MFP data base says it has zero of everything. But the ingredients are black tea, natural flavors (soy lecithin), rose hips, chicory root. Is it okay to drink flavored teas during the fasting period of IF?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    assuming zero calories, then yes...some flavored teas are pre-sweetened and have sugar or honey in them and are not zero calorie, but pretty much any zero calorie drink should be fine
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hello! Been doing IF for about six weeks, just tightened up on the keto part. I'm down about 15 lbs in the six weeks! Please and thank you! :D
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There was an interesting episode of Joe Rogan interviewing Dr Rhonda Patrick on IF. It’s on YouTube if you look up joe rogan Rhonda Patrick intermittent fasting. She had a lot of insightful knowledge on it.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I tried IF its good especially on keto you don't feel hungry too I wish you all the best on this journey.Merry Christmas :)
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah IF us so easy on keto. It’s made my Christmas a lot easier as I wasn’t hungry until the really late lunch!
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto + 16:8 since the beginning of December. When I come off a 16 hour fast now I usually don't even eat right away because my appetite is so suppressed. I'm going to wait till January but I think I'll kick it up a notch to 18:6 and see how that goes.

Weight is falling off me, it's incredible! Black coffee, unsweetened tea, diet soda and water are on the menu during my fast times.