Finding time to exercise

Options
WV_Fit
WV_Fit Posts: 10 Member
Y'all, how do you fit in exercise?

I'm up at 6 to get myself and kids ready for our day, on the road for school and work at 7:15. Work until 4:00 then pick kids up and make it home by 5:15 but then it's dinner, homework, housework etc...

Any good ideas for cardio at home?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My wife complains if I take too much time out of our day for exercise (thank God I don't play golf). What works for me is to get up at 4:30 AM put on some clothes and go run. I run to the gym every other day and get home at 6:00 when she is just getting up. It probably isn't what you want to hear for an idea but I love my me time for exercise. You may want to get a running buddy so you are not alone. I pass the same two women almost every day.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I homeschool so there is no point in the day that I'm ever alone or on break. But I schedule in a workout, usually during their lunch break. They play video games or play outside or whatever and I do a workout video. There are a bajillion on Youtube.

To be a better mother, I need to take care of myself. So I made the time. Even if the kids' schedules go sideways and I have to push it back until after supper, which is WAY too late to workout in my opinion, then so be it. I have 4 kids, so that happens. I get what I can get, even if it's not an ideal time of day.

My youngest are now old enough, so today, for the first time, we did a P.E. class, and they worked out with me. They take forever to change exercises and need a ridiculous amount of water breaks. And I have to stop and give them extra form instruction, but they did ok. They were super aggravating, but they had a good time. :lol: I'd rather them stay in shape and make good habits even if it means I am severely annoyed.

So either you have to get up earlier and workout or sit the kids in front of their homework and do a video (and expect to have to pause because you'll get interrupted 6k times :unamused: ), or do it late after they go to bed. Or do 5 minutes at a time throughout your day. But if it's a priority to you, you'll have to shuffle something to make it happen.

HTH.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    when i work at home, i do similar to @baconslave and do it after everyone is in bed & before i go to bed (so between 1:00 - 2:00AM). when i am able to go in the office, i either go on a walk during my lunch or go do the elliptical for 30-45 minutes.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Can you meal prep for a set amount of days a week, maybe 2-3, giving yourself an hour or so 2-3 times a week to workout? Ideally, get something that you could do while helping the kids with homework? Maybe light treadmill, stationary bike, free weights?
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I always cook a week worth of chicken on Sundays that will cover my lunch. I'm a boring eater so will buy out all the cauliflower rice at Walmart since those are easy to heat up. The key is I do all my food prep from the evening before so it is grab and go for breakfast/lunch without losing that time.

Workouts at home suggestion:

Burpees for 1 minute
    Run for 1 minute
    Push ups into downward dog for 1 minute
    Jumping jacks for 1 minute
    Squats for 1 minute
    Rest 2 minutes and repeat a few times.

My cheat code is I live 5 minutes from work and have no kids or responsibility so have time to bs and end up working out twice a day. :neutral:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at 5am to get in about 30 min of exercise before getting ready and being on the road by 6am. I love to do BodyCombat in the morning, there's just something badass about starting the day with punches and kicks, but maybe that's just me. Sometimes I do oversleep, but I have found that even 10 min of exercise in the morning is enough to boost my energy levels for the whole day. So, if you think you can get up even 15 min early, you might find it's totally worth it.

When I get to work, I take the stairs (3 flights)...and I keep taking them all day.

At work, I get 2 breaks and a lunch. I walk (usually outside) for all of these. My office is in an area that has sidewalks, we also have a kind of open hallway downstairs so I can walk indoors if the weather is totally intolerable outside. But, I like having big hills and such to walk up. For my breaks I just wear my normal clothes/shoes, but for lunch I change into tennis shoes and usually workout clothes because I usually walk a 5k at lunch so it's a much farther distance and I don't want to get all sweaty in my work clothes. We do have a gym here, but it's usually packed at lunch time, so it's easier for me to just walk.

When I get home, some days I have to taxi kids places, and when that happens I use the time they are in their activities to walk (the ballet studio is only about 10 min from a downtown area with sidewalks and street lights, so walking there is an option even for late nights - the school has lights in the parking lot so I can loop the parking lot if I have to pick them up from school for something)...sometimes this means deliberately leaving early so that I can get 15-30 min of walking done before picking someone up...sometimes those activities coincide with other exercise opportunities, like Sat morning ballet is at the same time that a brewery nearby offers a "beer & yoga" class a couple times a month.

Usually I cook dinner, which most days gives me a at least 30 min free time. So, if I am baking something (like chicken or pork or whatever) then I can put that in the oven, and start whatever is going stovetop (like veggies or pasta) and then go workout and just check on the food in between reps for strength training or when the cardio exercises change because every workout usually has some kind of good transition time where you can press pause and take 30 seconds to go stir whatever or check the temperature or whatever.

Sometimes I will workout while everyone else is eating since we kind of watch TV and eat in the living room, so I can do my workout and watch TV if it's something from a paper sheet instead of a video.

So for me, basically, I cram it in wherever I can make it fit. Every spare 10 min is a workout opportunity.

There are lots of free videos on YouTube, and Darebee has free workout sheets, and at one point BeachBody was doing a 14 or 30 day free trial of their on-demand product. There are so many options out there, just try different stuff until you find some favorites and then look for more that is similar to what you like.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    I usually get up at 5am to get in about 30 min of exercise before getting ready and being on the road by 6am. I love to do BodyCombat in the morning, there's just something badass about starting the day with punches and kicks, but maybe that's just me. Sometimes I do oversleep, but I have found that even 10 min of exercise in the morning is enough to boost my energy levels for the whole day. So, if you think you can get up even 15 min early, you might find it's totally worth it.

When I get to work, I take the stairs (3 flights)...and I keep taking them all day.

At work, I get 2 breaks and a lunch. I walk (usually outside) for all of these. My office is in an area that has sidewalks, we also have a kind of open hallway downstairs so I can walk indoors if the weather is totally intolerable outside. But, I like having big hills and such to walk up. For my breaks I just wear my normal clothes/shoes, but for lunch I change into tennis shoes and usually workout clothes because I usually walk a 5k at lunch so it's a much farther distance and I don't want to get all sweaty in my work clothes. We do have a gym here, but it's usually packed at lunch time, so it's easier for me to just walk.

When I get home, some days I have to taxi kids places, and when that happens I use the time they are in their activities to walk (the ballet studio is only about 10 min from a downtown area with sidewalks and street lights, so walking there is an option even for late nights - the school has lights in the parking lot so I can loop the parking lot if I have to pick them up from school for something)...sometimes this means deliberately leaving early so that I can get 15-30 min of walking done before picking someone up...sometimes those activities coincide with other exercise opportunities, like Sat morning ballet is at the same time that a brewery nearby offers a "beer & yoga" class a couple times a month.

Usually I cook dinner, which most days gives me a at least 30 min free time. So, if I am baking something (like chicken or pork or whatever) then I can put that in the oven, and start whatever is going stovetop (like veggies or pasta) and then go workout and just check on the food in between reps for strength training or when the cardio exercises change because every workout usually has some kind of good transition time where you can press pause and take 30 seconds to go stir whatever or check the temperature or whatever.

Sometimes I will workout while everyone else is eating since we kind of watch TV and eat in the living room, so I can do my workout and watch TV if it's something from a paper sheet instead of a video.

So for me, basically, I cram it in wherever I can make it fit. Every spare 10 min is a workout opportunity.

There are lots of free videos on YouTube, and Darebee has free workout sheets, and at one point BeachBody was doing a 14 or 30 day free trial of their on-demand product. There are so many options out there, just try different stuff until you find some favorites and then look for more that is similar to what you like.

What you’re describing is what people that aren’t used to working out forget: you don’t have to do 30 minutes, an hour, 3 hours at the gym. 5-10 minutes of HIIT or just basic school workouts like jumping jacks, push-ups, squats, and so on, are all body weight only, so totally portable and require no setup. Any activity is better than no activity.

I’m lucky that my watch annoys me every 30-40 minutes to get up and get active. So I’ll throw in stretches, twists, and some other stuff to get the blood moving.

We’re all working on a long term game that rewards effort, but requires some effort. 5 minutes of running in place is a start. Just find it within yourself to start and get to it. The starting bit is the hardest. Keeping with it is easier, since you already started.
  • WV_Fit
    WV_Fit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to try to start meal prepping for my lunches and dinner on the weekend, to free up some time during the week, and I might start getting up earlier to fit in some exercise in the morning too. Let's see how ambitious I can be haha!
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. I also find it hard to fit in exercise because I want to do it all at once and then be done for the day. I should break it up. I get up at 4am for work and don't get home until 6:30pm, then spend as much time with my kids as I can before they go to bed at 8:30. It's hard to feel motivated to work out at 8:30 at night. I'm usually too exhausted. I may need to just book out a conference room at work and do something small a couple times throughout the day. It'll get me away from work for a minute as well, which might help my stress level. LOL
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    sykin wrote: »
    I'm loving this thread. I also find it hard to fit in exercise because I want to do it all at once and then be done for the day. I should break it up. I get up at 4am for work and don't get home until 6:30pm, then spend as much time with my kids as I can before they go to bed at 8:30. It's hard to feel motivated to work out at 8:30 at night. I'm usually too exhausted. I may need to just book out a conference room at work and do something small a couple times throughout the day. It'll get me away from work for a minute as well, which might help my stress level. LOL

I think you also might want to consider the long term benefits. Mom isn't as stressed, she has more energy, and she's setting a good life example for us to follow by starting lifelong exercise early. I can only imagine how hectic life is, but I think you'll look back on this and thank yourself for finding 20 minutes a day to make sure you take care of your health.
  • rsclause
    Options
    Crappy weather here today and I just don't like to run in the rain. I also hate treadmills but I did go to the gym and do my Nautilus set. I was the first time I drove there in a month because I usually run there. Tomorrow snow....and I am thinking about possibly running. I have never run in the snow before.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Crappy weather here today and I just don't like to run in the rain. I also hate treadmills but I did go to the gym and do my Nautilus set. I was the first time I drove there in a month because I usually run there. Tomorrow snow....and I am thinking about possibly running. I have never run in the snow before.

The way they're talking about this storm, you could cross country ski your way there tomorrow if you live down south.
  • rsclause
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

The way they're talking about this storm, you could cross country ski your way there tomorrow if you live down south.

In my younger days I got my snow skis on and my buddy tied a water ski rope on the back of his four wheel drive truck. After about a foot of snow he was pulling me through the center of town.

I am right on the snow ice line so it too nasty to run but it is an excuse to test out the four wheel drive. My truck is a year old and I have never switched out of two wheel drive yet.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I work from home,, so my schedule is looser than some and I also don't do full time hours. So once they are all off to school, that's my time to have a little run outside before getting ready for the day. It doesn't always happen when other things get scheduled into the morning, but I aim for 3-4 days a week. If I go daily, I find my energy level is too low, but I'm in my mid 40s so maybe that's why! :)