need hot dishes in this cold snowy weather

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
found summer sausage on this site, great idea. I am low carb so hot cabbage has been great, any other ideas appreciated. The snow is a trigger for me but so far doing low carb i am not so hungry so need some food ideas, snacks, hot foods, etc.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've been eating BBG beef (not on a bun) from my slow cooker for a few days. Yummy and warm. ;)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I’ve been thinking of clams in cream sauce like New England clam chowder but without potatoes.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Quiche! Quiche filling (I use heavy cream, plenty of cheese, and spinach cooked in butter along with the eggs) on a nut crust: pecans or similar ground and mixed with grated cheese and melted butter until you can get it to stick to the baking dish. Bake the crust alone first until fragrant, then the whole thing for close to an hour, until it’s just a touch wobbly and only in the middle. I like to eat it with a side of arugula and a bowl of berries.

Slow-cooked meats and stews are also really decadent and satisfying when it’s cold—anything falling off the bone in a nice, thick gravy. 🙂 A bun-less hamburger with a runny egg on top; Brussels sprouts with a little vinegar and a lot of bacon. Steam cauliflower in a splash of broth, mash it with a fork until it’s smooth, then add a can of coconut milk and some fiery seasoning.

I’m kind of regretting having already eaten now!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I make large batches of this jambalaya in a slow cooker. Pretty low in carbs without the rice. I eat it plain sometimes - sometimes over some cabbage or coleslaw if more volume is desired.

It freezes and reheats well so makes a great lunch when I'm working away from home.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/low-carb-crock-pot-jambalaya-96660
  • andied23
    andied23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just made a big batch of low carb chili. It’s awesome for warming you up on a cold day.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge soup fan in the winter time...just tried this one and it was amazing:

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/creamy-reuben-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Szekeley Gulyas is delicious. I like it over mashed cauliflower with a quick pickled red cabbage instead of sauerkraut to offset all the pork shoulder, cream, butter, and sour cream.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thai curries can be a good choice if you pay attention to the fat content of the coconut milk. Buy the good high fat stuff, it tastes better anyway. If you don't know much about the sauces, check some packet seasoning pastes out, Asian Home Gourmet is usually pretty good and tastes like the real thing, not like some 'dumb downed' others. BTW, the green AHG Curry is quite hot spicy, red may be more to your taste if you are used to Mexican or Szechuan heat levels. Works great over Caulirice or just as a meaty (& veggie?) stew. Of course if you can wait, it's always tastier the next day.