Options
krystonite
krystonite Posts: 553 Member
My keto diet just got interesting...

Replies

• CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear for those that might see this, not all brandy is zero carbs. Courvoisier certainly has carbs, and plenty others, especially flavoured, are gonna have sugar to contend with. Like any thing, lookup the nutritional info, don't assume, and track it all.
  • krystonite
    Options
    *MY brandy has zero carbs
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like that when I want to enjoy a drink, hard alcohol can be an option. When I'm working hard to see the most progress, I cut out all alcohol and my results are faster. But, it's nice to be able to have a drink at events and not be consuming too many carbs!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    brandy...that's a drink I just have never liked...I'll stick to wine or whiskey
  • krystonite
    Options
    I don't much like it either. But with my parents inviting their weird friends over for the holidays, this keto girl is gonna need something.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    krystonite wrote: »
    I don't much like it either. But with my parents inviting their weird friends over for the holidays, this keto girl is gonna need something.

There are many other sorts of hard alcohols that are also no-carb, or low low carb. Unless you're set on Brandy, your options aren't terrible. Some vodka, perrier sparkling water, shot of a keto drink flavoring, et voila, tasty chrimbo cocktail. The Smirnoff Green Apple Vodka entry claims 0 carbs on MFP.. but it's one of those entries on here I think someone probably did to give themselves a pass on the drinking tracking info.

Oh, I just found Smirnoff's Spiked selection of sparkling drinks. Ready made, sold in cans, 1g carbs. "4.5% alcohol by volume. 90 CALORIES, 1 G CARB, ZERO SUGAR, NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS*, CRAFTED TO REMOVE GLUTEN"

Anywho, options abound, it seems. Figured with the push for gluten free, low carb alcohols would follow naturally.
  • krystonite
    Options

There are many other sorts of hard alcohols that are also no-carb, or low low carb. Unless you're set on Brandy, your options aren't terrible. Some vodka, perrier sparkling water, shot of a keto drink flavoring, et voila, tasty chrimbo cocktail. The Smirnoff Green Apple Vodka entry claims 0 carbs on MFP.. but it's one of those entries on here I think someone probably did to give themselves a pass on the drinking tracking info.

Oh, I just found Smirnoff's Spiked selection of sparkling drinks. Ready made, sold in cans, 1g carbs. "4.5% alcohol by volume. 90 CALORIES, 1 G CARB, ZERO SUGAR, NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS*, CRAFTED TO REMOVE GLUTEN"

Anywho, options abound, it seems. Figured with the push for gluten free, low carb alcohols would follow naturally.

Well now I know who my go-to is on these topics! Thank you.
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just have to avoid the flavored versions of hard alcohol. Many of them use added sugar for the flavor.
    I do vodka, sparkling water, and a squirt of liquid water enhancer. (Mio) Zero carb. A few calories in the alcohol. And all the flavors you can find.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what alcohol you drink or how many carbs it does or doesn't have, alcohol will knock you out of ketosis and any calories consumed during the time it takes your body to process that alcohol will be stored as fat.
  • krystonite
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what alcohol you drink or how many carbs it does or doesn't have, alcohol will knock you out of ketosis and any calories consumed during the time it takes your body to process that alcohol will be stored as fat.

I don't think one ounce is gonna kill me. Been keto for 6 months. I'm good.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    drinking liquor can in fact deppen your level of ketosis:

https://ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-and-alcohol/

Alcohol without carbs has no impact on ketosis:

https://dietdoctor.com/alcohol-stop-ketosis

As for me, I find that not only do I get drunk on less, but I take forever to sober up unless I eat carbs to speed up the process...I have, pre-keto, been able to be pretty deep in my cups, wait an hour, and be totally sober feeling again...not anymore...I can have a few glasses of wine before lunch and maintain that happy almost-drunk through evening if I don't eat carbs with lunch or dinner...if I want to have a drink or two, and then be able to drive, I have to eat carbs, then I will sober up at a normal pace.

It's very weird, so just be safe with your consumption.
  • krystonite
    Options
    Oh definitely. I find that I'm incredibly sensitive to alcohol-consumption now. I used to do a bottle of wine easily. Now I have barely a glass and feel tipsy. Which I guess is a real good thing, but I can't hang with anyone lol
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely. I find that I'm incredibly sensitive to alcohol-consumption now. I used to do a bottle of wine easily. Now I have barely a glass and feel tipsy. Which I guess is a real good thing, but I can't hang with anyone lol

Many say they become more susceptible with alcohol on keto, but I'm a bit weird I guess. My tolerance went up!
    3 shots of Vodka would normally leave me tipsy. Really bad day several days ago and had 7 shots instead of rush for my first take out since I started or lots of chocolate (old comforts). Only felt a bit calmer, not even a buzz let alone tipsy. This was on an empty stomach as well, about 6 hours after lunch.
    Think I went over maintenance cals that day with the vodka (doing deficit), didn't gain though (And if did it was in oz, which can't see on my scales).

Before that I had couple shots of spiced rum when out for a catch up drink with my dad, maybe over a month ago. (usually would have couple pints cider. Gets me pretty tipsy. 3 would be drunk - never again). Checked the brand and nutrition beforehand for carbs since some have things added that increase carbs. Didn't feel anything then either which was irritating since I don't really enjoy catch ups with my dad and the alcohol was gonna slow me down. Wanted to at least enjoy it. Hated the taste of it as well. Vodka was better straight than rum.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a wine girl, too, but I have found a shot of vodka, and a zero carb ICE (I love the black raspberry flavor), and I am good to go. A cocktail every now and again doesn't worry me.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I had the white claw spiked seltzer a while ago, it was pretty decent, and easy if you are going somewhere and want something in a can that will travel.
  • Viciousdoggie
    Viciousdoggie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Vitamin water Zero, dragonfruit. So, now I just add Vodka to it. I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a week and a few dark beers. Now 2 or 3 vodkas on the saturday and nothing in between :)