Stall

kristinak48
kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
Ideas for breaking a stall/plateau? I've lost 28/29 lbs. Keeping losing and gaining the same couple of pounds the last few weeks. It gets frustrating. I keep my net carbs around 25-30/day which is what the keto calculator told me to do. Ideas as to what might help? I'm going to try increasing my water intake although I drink a lot already Mon-Friday. I've recently started taking a B-Complex Vitamin...could this cause an issue?

Replies

• donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    I'd drop daily calories by 200 and add intermittent fasting :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You don't have your diary open, so it's tough to guess. For me, long term, the biggest issues are probably:

1 - eating things that I don't log, like a bite here and there while cooking or that last spoonful that doesn't want to fit in the container when I put dinner away
    2 - portion size creep, oh sure that looks like a "cup" but what looks like a "cup" start to change over time

The fix for me is always the same, actually measure and actually don't put anything in my mouth without logging it.
  • vgentile990
    vgentile990 Posts: 50 Member
    Sometimes you need to eat more because dieting for long periods of time slows your metabolism... so eating more can get the fire burning again
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    How much are you eating, how much are you burning, and how do you know?
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Try something different to shake things up. Sometimes our bodies just get used to the routine we're in even if its a good one. IF could work or a week of carnivore? I personally would not reduce calories as that can continue to lower metabolism. There are several keto friendly YouTube videos on breaking plateaus or not being able to lose.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    If you are eating at a deficit, time is the best thing to fix a stall, IMO. Some months the scale doesn't move. Even if you are getting smaller - are you taking pictures and measurements to track progress?

Mixing it up sometimes gets my scale going. More food or more carbs for a few days, or a diet break, helps me. No idea why.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    I have no answers, me to.... Stalled at that 20lb down mark. I am working on tightening up the diary logging. I could definitely drink more water, though!
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    For me, sometimes I stay the same for 2-3 weeks before finally breaking through. I normally just avg 1900-2000 calories per day. I try not to get discouraged when it happens. Just stick to the plan.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    FWIW, I have lost 135 lbs and I am in an intentional stall at this point (maintenance). I lost on average a pound a week for 2.5 years. I had a couple of plateaus in there. A couple were as long as 6 weeks. I got in the habit of weighing practically every serving so I would not get calorie creep. To bust out of a couple of those plateaus, I dropped calories by 200, and that new total became the new limit.
  • Ketogirl007
    Ketogirl007 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2018
    Are you intermittent fasting? If you snack and eat throughout the day it will cause continuous insulin spikes. You'll want to narrow your eating window. Feel free to add me as a friend! I'm always looking for accountability friends
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    I'm too in the same phase since two weeks no change in my weight few grams up and down. Stall at 105kgs hopes expecting change with IF.
  • maddog1769
    maddog1769 Posts: 34 Member
    yea the 16-8 eating cycle is great and breaking plateaus... Once you start its easy to continue. and that last 4-5 hours you are literally a FAT burning machine.... Thats even my favorite time to work out and am shocked at my energy level after not eating for 12 hours, fat is the ULTIMATE fuel
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    For me, an "egg fast" for a couple of days has helped me get out of plateaus a few times.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    I won't eat less than my BMR calories for my level of activities.πŸšΆπŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸ›ŒπŸ½πŸ§˜πŸ½β€β™€οΈ
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Mixing it up sometimes gets my scale going. More food or more carbs for a few days, or a diet break, helps me. No idea why.

I've had a couple three minor stalls along the way and mixing things up tends to break it for me.

On that note I know that today I'll be over both calories and a bit over my carbs because I'm making corned beef and cabbage in a little while.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Unless your weight has remained the same for more than 4-6 weeks, you're not stalled.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067269/your-scale-is-a-lying-liarpants?new=1