Gastric Bypass Regain!

Options
Hey all! My name is Courtney, I had my RNY 8/20/2015, and it was a struggle! I had a complication which ended me back in the hospital 2 days later and required a second surgery (not my surgeons fault, my own body was fighting against me) I was released 9/7/2015 and then began my journey! I did great, until I hurt my back and they put me on medications and I found I had transfer addiction. I went into a program May 2017 and graduated June 2018 and I’m now 18 months sober! However during this time in my life I’ve put on some regain, and now I’m fighting to get it off. If anyone wants to add me and help me be a support, it would be very appreciated!

My stats are Height: 6ft , HW: 397, LW: 215 , CW: 254 (as of this am 12/4/18) I’m doing a pouch reset. And looking to get back on my A game 🥰

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hello! Saw and accepted your request!

I'm obviously Nicole. I'm sure you read my thread with who I am and what I'm doing! lol

First, congrats on your sobriety and regaining control of your life. That's no easy feat.

I'm still in my "reset" and this week is about transitioning back to IF and a strict guideline of macros and foods. Starting Sunday, I have a 10 week plan, so I'm going to give it at least that time to see how I feel about it, unless I die of starvation first, heh.

I look forward to learning to actually use my tool when it's not "easy" to lose. None of this is "easy" but that honeymoon period is aptly named!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also have been dealing with some regain. Had my gastric bypass 4/18/16 and since March 2017 I am up 23 lbs. I have had a ton of stress and had a breakdown in my doctors office and while my doctor is a keto follower, I am not sure it would be right for me. He gets where I am, and he said that it’s obvious I am educated on food/nutrition and he wants me to try and eliminate as much processed food as possible so I am working on that. My doctor suggested that I try to avoid food that will spike my insulin levels and stick with as much whole food as I can so I will start there. I am also going to give myself small goals...and I also have been focusing on my activity. I bought a Peloton bike which has been amazing and their app offers so much that can be done even out of the bike.

I try to get on and do something every day - even if it’s a quick 10 min ride it is better than doing nothing.

I am also working on getting enough fluids because I don’t get enough water.

This is my plan - and it is good to know that none of us are alone in this.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I’m Karla and my surgery story is long, but ultimately I had RNY on January 15, 2015. I knew that would be my chance to get it right by not returning to eating the same way I did before surgery. So, I used the “Honeymoon” phase to retrain myself in food choices. I learned how to use whole foods , instead of processed anything from a box or bag. I learned to batch cook for convenience and freeze for my own TV dinners/breakfasts...

I began at 320 pounds, lost as low as 160 but felt that was too thin for my 5’9” height, so I purposely regained twenty pounds (two years ago) and have maintained within a pound or two since then.

We all have the choice to make regarding our health, and food choices are the first step towards that control of our health. When we make the right choices for a while it does change those habits and makes them automatic. I look at junk food now as non food. I don’t consider it to be proper nutrition (fuel) for my body, so I have no desire for it anymore.

You are the one who has to choose what you eat. But I can tell you if you eat the same foods you did before you had surgery you will regain, period. That’s what it comes down to and that’s where I believe most people go wrong and end up regaining their weight.

Side note: I haven’t been super active in this group for a long time since I had to curb my activities while taking care of ill parents. I’m hoping I can remain more active here now, and be a support for others! Hugs!