Starting Keto on Monday!!

Options

Replies

• gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Consensus from most videos i view is that fat% goal is only important to reach ketosis. After that, eat enough fat so you dont get hungry between meals, but not hitting % fat goal means your body has to take it from your fat stores. Which is our goal after all.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You don’t need any fat at all to get into Ketosis. Fast for a day and anyone will be in Ketosis. Without a single gram of fat consumed.
    Carbohydrate destruction is all that’s required.
    Fat is definitely not a goal. Though you will want to get about 50g for hormones. You do not need to reach any specified amount of fat beyond that.
  • Wifett3
    Wifett3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can rice your own cauliflower (or broccoli) in a food processor. Just pulse it until it’s the consistency you like. Then cook away!
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wifett3 wrote: »
    You can rice your own cauliflower (or broccoli) in a food processor. Just pulse it until it’s the consistency you like. Then cook away!

You can also (and my favorite for the stuff) make fantastic mashed caultatoes from it. So tasty. The consistency and texture is great. Add a bit of gravy and some roast, and you'll be asking yourself "who cares about potatoes".

Cau-li-flow-ers. Boil em, mash em, stick em in a food processor.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @Wifett3 & @CentaurusSoter do you cook the broccoli/cauliflower prior to putting it in the blender/food processor or do it raw and then cook it?
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    @Wifett3 & @CentaurusSoter do you cook the broccoli/cauliflower prior to putting it in the blender/food processor or do it raw and then cook it?

Raw and then cook except for making mashed "potatoes" then i cook first and then puree.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    sweet; thank you, ma'am!
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »

If I need to make a lot, which is the case if making the mashed caultatoes, I use a pot on the stove with my steamer basket. After that, it's puree time in the food processor. As for riced cauliflower, I usually just buy it in bags. I could try the riced recipes, but I've been lazy about that. Caultatoes are good enough for me.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    sweet; thank you, sir
  • Viciousdoggie
    Viciousdoggie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All great info. I started today too. Struggling to get the macros right. Should have added heavy cream to my eggs.... Giving up my Coffee with French Vanilla Creamer is the hardest part. Going to try Bulletproof coffee tomorrow.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    All great info. I started today too. Struggling to get the macros right. Should have added heavy cream to my eggs.... Giving up my Coffee with French Vanilla Creamer is the hardest part. Going to try Bulletproof coffee tomorrow.

Try making a mix of a keto friebdly sweetener, almond milk, and heavy cream or half and half, and pour that into your coffee. The muscle milk I drink for the protein and potassium has such a sweet chocolate flavour, it makes it like I am drinking creamer again. There are options for folks that loved their creamer. Cream and half and half never cut it for me. Usually I just suck it up, drink my cream with butter and coconut oil, and move on to better meals later. Coffee stinks regardless.
  • kahart625
    kahart625 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    so im starting to wonder if im doing this all wrong? I just starting week 4 and have still only lost about 3.5 pounds. My Macros are 5% carbs, 80% Fat and 15% protein.
    I can hit my protein macro every day and usually go over slightly but am typically come in around 75grams. my goal each day is 56. My Calories goal is 1496, and i dont normally hit that and come in anywhere from 1000 to 1500, but usually on the lower end.
    I need/want to lose about 35-40 pounds and have been trying for 2 years everything from weight watchers to just plain clean eating. Im not a big sugar person and have now even stopped putting sugar in my coffee.
    If you are having success with this, can you share what is working for you as far as meal plans or daily? I know we are all different and not everything works the same for everyone, but im willing to keep tweaking different tactics until i find what works for me.
  • zanyterp
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @kahart625 I would suggest trying to bring down your fat & upping your protein.
    and, as much as it may not be pleasant, do a check with your doctor on if there is anything metabolically impeding the transition or causing issues with loss.

also, check measurements & pictures. i know it is not pleasant, but sometimes the scale won't move (my experience is that is especially true with keto; but YMMV, as with all weight items) but there is a reduction in size. another thing that others have brought up to help measure success is to have a pair of pants/shirt/clothing-of-some-sort that you want to fit in (reasonable size change) and check it weekly/bi-weekly/monthly (whatever your mental stress can handle) and gauge that way.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kahart625 wrote: »
    so im starting to wonder if im doing this all wrong? I just starting week 4 and have still only lost about 3.5 pounds. My Macros are 5% carbs, 80% Fat and 15% protein.
    I can hit my protein macro every day and usually go over slightly but am typically come in around 75grams. my goal each day is 56. My Calories goal is 1496, and i dont normally hit that and come in anywhere from 1000 to 1500, but usually on the lower end.
    I need/want to lose about 35-40 pounds and have been trying for 2 years everything from weight watchers to just plain clean eating. Im not a big sugar person and have now even stopped putting sugar in my coffee.
    If you are having success with this, can you share what is working for you as far as meal plans or daily? I know we are all different and not everything works the same for everyone, but im willing to keep tweaking different tactics until i find what works for me.

No one likes to hear it but if you are not weighing and measuring your food you might want to start. It is easy to guess portions incorrectly especially when eating high fat at 9 calories per gram. :#

You've lost close to a pound a week which is fairly typical. Everyone does not lose rapidly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

80% fat isn’t going to allow much fat to be mobilized from storage. Part of that 80% is supposed to come from body fat.
    For example, if your daily maintenance calories are 2000 then 5% of that is carbs, 25g or 100 calories. 15%, which I actually think is too low, would be protein, 75g or 300 calories and 80% fat is 177g or 1600 calories. Now create a 500 calorie a day deficit by taking only fat calories away. That leaves you with 1100 calories fat or 122g

However, I would suggest a ratio more like 5/25/70 or 5/30/65 for a fat loss goal.
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    Options

80% fat isn’t going to allow much fat to be mobilized from storage. Part of that 80% is supposed to come from body fat.
    For example, if your daily maintenance calories are 2000 then 5% of that is carbs, 25g or 100 calories. 15%, which I actually think is too low, would be protein, 75g or 300 calories and 80% fat is 177g or 1600 calories. Now create a 500 calorie a day deficit by taking only fat calories away. That leaves you with 1100 calories fat or 122g

However, I would suggest a ratio more like 5/25/70 or 5/30/65 for a fat loss goal.

I second that. I think 5/35/60 or 5/30/65 is good. Try implementing IF. Some disagree with timing but I feel there are plenty of arguments going both ways. I have implemented 16/8 IF and it seems to help. I’m sure some will disagree. That is fine. It is working for me!

I have lost 110 lbs starting in April without a single day of exercise. I am not eating less than 1800-2000 calories per day avg. sure occasional more and occasionally less. This would be a 7 day avg.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I got through my first day having eaten less carbs and less fat than planned. Not for lack of trying with the fat! How do you get all the fat into your diet?

Look as see if you can reduce a protein and carb and eat avocado instead. It packs more fat.
    I have also added butter to my coffee which I thought at first would be gross but was actually yummy.
    I also adding herbs to butter and adding a scoop to my steaming veggies before I eat them seemed fancy.
    The other thing that help me was getting as much fat as I can at my breakfast, then the pressure is off to force it in at the end of the day.
  • kahart625
    kahart625 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I second that. I think 5/35/60 or 5/30/65 is good. Try implementing IF. Some disagree with timing but I feel there are plenty of arguments going both ways. I have implemented 16/8 IF and it seems to help. I’m sure some will disagree. That is fine.

What is IF?
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    so if I'm under my calories at the end of the day Its ok?Because it says I may not lose because I'm not eating enough
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    cmbalint wrote: »
    so if I'm under my calories at the end of the day Its ok?Because it says I may not lose because I'm not eating enough

Don’t eat if you’re not hungry. But make sure you eat enough protein overall.