Dessert ideas on Keto?

Options
lgressell
lgressell Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2018 in Social Groups
Hi! I have been on keto for a little over a week and I am doing great. However, sweets are my weak spot and I’m afraid I’m going to fall off the wagon if I don’t find something to satiate my sweet tooth. Any ideas? (It cannot contain nuts or almond flour). Thank you in advance!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake is my favorite...lots of cream cheese and eggs and you can use your favorite artificial sweetener. Make it without a crust if you want to cut the carbs even further.
  • lgressell
    lgressell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! GREAT idea.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    For me, not eating sweets was the better move. I'm assuming you're trying to change habits long term if you're going on keto and plan to stay with it. Keto desserts can be just as bad at triggering food issues as anything else. Cutting them out for a few months was much easier to introduce some later on, especially when the sugar and carb cravings died out.

If you're set on keeping sweets, which I get, and aren't a good cook, or just don't want to figure out keto recipe substitutions, try these:

Atkins Meal Replacement Bars
    Low Carb Snack bars
    Aldi's Fit and Active Bars
    Breyer's Carb Conscious Low Carb Icecreams - taste like a frosty from Wendy's.

There are plenty more out there to be found with some googling. Just read the nutrion labels, track everything, and don't lie on your diary entries. Some artificial sweeteners can cause a kick from ketosis, IIRR.

• KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I found in the beginning if I craved sweets on keto it ment I was craving something else and because my body had not been switched to fat burning long enough, my brain sent the the sweet craving signal.
    For me the sweet craving message ment three things salt,bacon or comfort. So I would pre make a batch of cunchy bacon and if a sweet craving hit I would have one piece and the craving was gone. The other thing I found was, and this may seem a bit out there, but sugar used to make me feel, loved, home, comfort.
    I found that a hot cup of chicken stock (granules) with table spoon of cream gave me the salt and that warm cozy kid feeling, that as an adult I had hoped I would find in sweets.

At 1 1/2 weeks you are still in detox, stay strong and try these ^^^^

• lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I’m a chocolate girl! We make our own now by melting coco butter, cocoa, sweetener and a dash of salt.
    Also make jello with plain gelatin, zero carb flavoring and sweetner. That is killer with fresh whipped cream.
    I blend my own stevia:erythritol in my magic bullet for the right amount of sweetness.

Definitely do not eat dessert often but occasionally it’s a nice treat. A bit of a science experiment weighing everything and adjusting to hit both macros and flavor but once you get your recipes it’s pretty simple.

Oh and just straight up mascarpone cheese with cocoa and some sweetner is the most decadent spoonful ever.
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    if your are on pinterest there are lots of recepie ideas that look simple and delish
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Google "Maria Emmerich" That's all you need. Haven't made a bad recipe yet. Wife made her Tiramisu recipe - should be illegal - way too good. Next up her Butter Pecan Truffle. Who ever said Keto is way too restrictive has no clue whatsoever.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake, or my new fave is a crust made of toasted coconut flakes and butter pressed into a pan and then dump a mix of melted unsweetened bakers chocolate and heavy cream sweetened with your choice of sweetener into the crust. Let set int he fridge and top with a few berries per slice.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Green and blacks 85 percent cocoa
    Mascarpone and berries

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing sodium? Low sodium will drive sweet cravings.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thank you for the tip on that. as far as you are aware, is that a standard item (sodium deficiency can/will lead to sweet cravings, whether going keto or otherwise)?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    calcium and/or magnesium deficiency can also cause sweets cravings...and iron deficiency, but I think that one is specifically a chocolate craving, not a general sweets craving...those are not related to keto specifically
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My favorite is sugar free jello with some cool whip on top. It's delicious, low-cal and low-carb.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    thank you, @tcunbeliever
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thank you for the tip on that. as far as you are aware, is that a standard item (sodium deficiency can/will lead to sweet cravings, whether going keto or otherwise)?

If sodium is low, insulin production increases because it causes sodium and fluid retention. This can exaserbate insulin resistance which we already know makes people feel hungry and causes overeating.
    Also, your body will be needing sodium so you’ll be hungry and stay hungry until it gets it.
    Low carb increases your sodium excretion due to the reduced insulin production. This makes you require much more sodium intake. Eating carbs or sugar increases insulin which stops your wasting sodium. Your body will do whatever it takes to keep sodium at an acceptable level.
    Supplement sodium daily (3000-5000mg, possibly more) to avoid all this mess.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    Thank you ma’am
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I look forward to whipped cream sometimes- made with sugar substitute.

I also make low carb chia pudding once or so times per week. :)