Surviving the Holidays..... and strange changes....

Options
This is my first Holiday Season after VSG. I am having strange reactions to certain foods that I used to love.... my digestive system has changed dramatically. Can’t deal with anything fried, creamed, or anything spicy..... tried to sample some Thanksgiving Foods.... couldn’t deal... the stomach is happy with cottage cheese, chicken noodle soup, plain rice.... but have no problem with fish, steak, poultry. Forget desserts... one bite and It doesn’t appeal to me.

Replies

• frau5
    frau5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is very common that bariatric surgery patients have a total change in their palate and which foods they can tolerate. Do you know if this is a permanent change or you will with time be able to eat the foods you used to enjoy?
  • ladybug2659
    ladybug2659 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The surgeon said that they don’t entirely understand the Grelin hormone which is secreted when the stomach is empty. They cut out the part of the stomach that secretes Grelin hormone then when you eat the sleeve is full—it stops and the brain satiety signal acts quickly. Why tastebuds or food preferences change is a mystery. 87% of patients tracked said that foods did not taste as good as they did before or, were dull. Cheesecake might as well be Elmer’s glue... texture is too thick. I prefer large curd cottage cheese vs, ice cream and cake is too sweet. I love split pea soup with ham which I make from scratch. And, I have a thing for buttered grits with whey protein added. Salads no longer appeal to me either. I used to love a good hamburger... but can only eat 1/4 of a sandwich. No sodas of any kind— taste terrible to me... like chemical flavor. Very odd...
  • norafitz61
    norafitz61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I was sleeved in August, 2017. Lost about 68? lbs. Now have gained back about 5, not much, but enough to make me realize that I'd better get back to basics.
    I've noticed that my taste buds have changed. I used to be a peanut butter freak, I was so happy when the dietician said it was OK to have some sometimes, on a half piece of toast or something. But, now I just don't care. I don't hate it, but I don't crave it or make an effort to have it. It's just...meh.
    Sometimes I eat things and I feel like, that just isn't settling well. Salad is OK, but it takes up a lot of space.
    I do love sweets still, unfortunately. Skittles-they take up zero room. And the more I eat the more I want. My doc has prescribed Contrave to see if we can get past this.